Trailer Trash

Takin' it Tuesdaililes - 1/22/2013 (Read 43 times)

Scrapster

It is fucking cold and snowy and just...WINTER here.  Thank goodness!

Got in a short midnight spinny spin, but skipped this morning's run and snuggled in bed.  Tons of paperwork to do this morning, which means I will be popping in here regularly.  Afternoon run sandwiched between afternoon client appointments (here's to hoping they actually cooperate with appointment times).

Passing on the QOTD.

Have  a great day, everyone!

Occasional Runner

It's cold here too (Philadelphia at the moment). I ran to the gym, which would have been very bearable if there weren't 25 mph winds out there this morning. I had a nice workout at the gym, but dreaded the run back to the apartment. This shit is getting old.

At least I can focus on my 5 races in the Caribbean next week. It can't get here soon enough.

tjrun

Hate to hear about y'all cold temps.  Nice and warm here this week....mostly sunny and in the 60"s.

10 miles yesterday on trails.  Great run.

Probably won't get to run today.  I have a school function this evening.

LB2

I had a great 4+ this morning. All systems are go. I have been focusing on a long run every other week and 8 hours of sleep every night since the new year started. I am just trying to keep some decent base of training, but it has been hard since the flu knocked me out of commission in December, etc.  But things are going very well. Maybe I needed that break.

QOTD: Have you ever been in the mindset that someone else's success at a race was far more important than your own success?

Yes. My brother's success at finishing Rocky Raccoon in a couple of weeks is far more important to me than my finishing last year was. Of course, there was no question that I would finish last year. It was automatic because of my own mindset, level of fitness, and previous races I completed leading up to RR. But I have taken a great deal of time and effort to help him plan for the event. I believe he will make it. He has the miles, but there are things that happen that you cannot explain to someone in ways that they will fully grasp if they have never done one. Everyone's first journey to a 100 miles is lonely.

LB2

sugnim

Good morning all!  Yesterday's run was awful.  I dry heaved all the way home for 2 miles in 15 degrees and spent the rest of the day feeling like shit.  I can't tell if I'm sick, or if I ran too hard, or if it's just my body being weird.  Ugh.  Anyway, rest day for me.

QOTD:  Last summer I did a 5K race with a friend in a wheel chair.  It was his 1st race & the proceeds went to help disabled kids pay for wheelchairs & other equipment.  Well, the race director, for some reason, planned a course that was not wheelchair accessible.  So I ended up pushing my friend over grassy hills, through mud, sand, and gravel, and resting with him when his hands cramped up or his leg fell off the chair & got dragged beneath him.  He does not have a push bar on his chair, so when I pushed him, I was bent down with my head at his level.  It allowed me to have a very different perspective on racing, terrain, and field of view.  Getting him to the finish line was my only goal in that race.

Trail Monster

An hour easy later if my knee will take it.

QOTD: My daughter's first couple 5k's. I ran every step with her, walked with her, and encouraged her. Now we let her run alone while we race and then go back out on the course to run her in but those first few were hard on all of us.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Occasional Runner

QOTD: Definitely. When I run the Labor Pains 12 HR race every year, I run 50k and spend the rest of my day pacing friends through the finish of their first ultra distance. I frequently think of running that race as it was intended, but I get a lot of satisfaction in witnessing other people reach their goals. It's always a moving experience.

I'm not exactly looking forward to my 6 miles after work today. Also in Philly, with a wind chill of about 5 degrees. We haven't had anything close to this cold yet so my body is in for a shock. Today's one of those days that separates the runners from the joggers in this city. I would be shocked to see more than a handful of other people running out there tonight. Guess I'll be ready for the temps in Vermont this weekend!

QOTD: When I ran the NJ Marathon for Team in Training last year, it definitely changed my perspective on racing. I wasn't really thinking about myself most of the time, but was thinking about those who were running with me who had suffered from illness or had lost friends or  family members to leukemia or lymphoma. Of course, I still focused on finishing, but it was a very unique and emotional experience.

Birdwell

Morning folks! Got in some speed work at the track late last night (800 meter repeats)  in 7 degree weather. Track was half covered in snow. It was actually pretty fun. I think I'm getting a little bit faster.

This morning I hit the pool for a bit, followed by some light lifting.

Qotd : I haven't been in a race with anyone I know yet. I did get to help my daughter train for and complete her first race. It was a one mile run that she got to do with her grandpa. She had a blast and is so proud of her finishers ribbon.

runtraildc

It is cold (and windy) here in DC.  Walked my commute this am (2 miles) and I'll run a longer way home 4-5 miles before yoga.

qotd-- Yes, running with my kids in various 5Ks and 5 milers. Next milestone is a half marathon for older DS in May so I'm helping him train.    It's a new distance for him, it will be hard and I want to make sure that he's well prepared (both physically and mentally).  My spring races/training are all taking a back seat and it's well worth it.   Especially knowing  he soon won't likely be wanting to spend (any) time with his mom!  (he's 12).

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Somewhat functioning again, but still dizzy and weak. Stomach twitching and pinching every once in a while, and having my normal breakfast was not the best idea of the day yet. Two kids still at home, recovering. Nasty bug!

So it's probably turning out to be a rest day again. We have single digits here in Central PA, with some wind and gusts up to 30 mph, but it's sunny, some snow, and it looks very tempting. If it just was not for that constant nausea, I might still go for a run, but that would probably be the next not-best-idea of the day, I guess. Hard to be patient!

Scrapster: Hope your clients will have mercy with you and your plans.

lace_up: Strange to hear you complain about the cold. Must have been really tough.

tj: Nice weekend run in nice weather!

LB2: Sounds like you are getting back into top shape. And your new year's resolutions sound very good to me!

sugnim: Hope you won't get the stomach bug that knocked my family out over the weekend!

Banshee: Hope your knee will cooperate and you'll have a fun run!

Cocktails: Definitely a shock therapy to run today - enjoy!

Birdwell: Nice track workout!

traildc: Have fun with your workouts later!

QOTD: My running buddy was just recovering from an injury, and after I had finished my race, I went back to run him in. We had been training together the weeks before the race, and I had always stuck with him, encouraging him, and helping him stick with his plan. It was great to see him finish and set a PR.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

cold here this morning 3 F w/ a windchill of -7, but the weathers is no concern of mine because the cold I've been fighting the last couple of days has officially knocked me out, thus a URD Sad

qotd: I have a race first weekend of Feb and going to be running w/ my brother, he hasn't run a race longer than a 10k so I'll definitely be trying to help anyway I can to insure he crosses the finish line Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

1200m hill repeats in 10 degrees with 25 mph wind.  Was going to do 6 but quit after 5 with freezing face.  One of those runs where the wind seemed to be in my face in both directions.  I was ready for the temperature, but it was not too windy at my house when I left, so didn't wear face mask or bring a neck warmer.  Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

sugnim: Great story.  My BIL is a partial quadriplegic (limited use of both arms and hands), and we've talked several times about doing a race together.

QOTD: Paced my wife to her first Ultra a few years back.  Even did a write up about it on the Forum That Shall Be Nameless.  It was the most stressful race of my life.  It's much easier to worry about your own race than someone else's.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

tjrun

QOTD:  Last year I paced my dad for the Houston Marathon.  Also, when my daughter was first racing, I would run with her during her first few 5K's.

Shameless brag......My dad, who just turned 70 on Sunday, ran the Houston marathon in 4:51 this year!  So proud of him.  He is awesome!

He's the one that started me running when I was eleven.  He gave me 35 years (and counting) of wonderful running!  Thanks, Dad!

Sandy-2

I’m going to do about 5 after work today.  I need to make sure my ankle is a little sore when I see the doctor tomorrow morning.

Scrapster: You could simply keep those pesky clients waiting like most other “professionals”.

lace_up: That cold in Philly will just make the warm beaches feel that much better.

tj: Nice. Are you in TX?  Gonna hit 70* here later today.  Nice about your Dad, nice finish!

LB2: Looks like its “all systems go” for RR!

sugnim: Stomach doesn’t sound good, hope it’s just a 24 hour thing.  Really nice about helping the guy in the wheelchair.

Banshee: A few of us grunting through stuff these days.  Hope it’s ok.

Cocktails: We’ll put you in the hardcore runner’s category.

Birdwell: Cold track work.  Nice!

traildc: Sounds nice, hope DC gets back to normal after yesterday’s festivities.

FTYC: Your stomach sounds even worse than sugnim’s.  I say take it easy and rest.

mtwarden: sorry about the URD.

AT: Nice hill repeats!!!

Qotd: I have paced folks and really enjoy it.  I also remember doing a few 5ks with my DD when she was little, that was tons of fun.

tbd.