Trailer Trash

Endurolytes Fizz in a hydration bladder? (Read 45 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Does that work?

I know Kelly mentioned it recently - what model of hydration pack did you use?

Anyone else have experience with this?

I have used the Fizz in my handheld, that worked well, but never in my hydration vest, and I was wondering if I could do it (Camelbak bladder).

Run for fun.

dpc3

I used it in my Nathan vest this past weekend and it worked well as far as I could tell. The concentration seemed strong at first but it was also my first time using Fizz. I liked it and will continue to use it in my bladder.

I don't know if this actually worked but I also made sure to rise out the bladder and hose after the race, jury is still out on this one.

Good Luck!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Kelly also suggested the Fizz to me and I have experiemented with it.  I have not had any issues with it in my bladder (Nathan).  A good rinse after and it seems ok but I have only done it 3x in the last 4-6 weeks so unsure over time.  But bladders don't last forever anyways.

I have a 2L bladder and used 4 tabs for maybe 3/4 of the bladder full.  I really have no clue if this is the right ratio but I was just experimenting with it.  I wanted to start out light at first.  For me personally I don't think I need the "fizz" to be too strong.  But the jury is still out on this.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

dpc3

I used 6 tablets but was expecting to be out for 5 hours and I think I might need 7-8 so when I refill it still has a little ummphhh!

jonferg67

Endless trails

Is the Fizz similar to NUUN? The NUUN I use is slightly carbonated, I use 4 tabs in my

70 oz. Nathan's pack. I get it setup first thing in the morning, allow the tabs to melt, then I

burp the bladder and remove the air. The bladder does expand a little so I burp it as soon

as the tabs melt. Once I start running it work fine, it doesn't continue to fizz.

The Hammer Fizz might be a bit different from NUUN, but my experience has been positive.

I have learned that adding powder (like gatorade) to the bladder and then adding the water does

not work, that powder gunked up the hose.

Occasional Runner

Of course it works!

I've used it in my Salomon pack and my new Gregory pack. I've never had any issues with lingering smell or taste. The mix varies depending on a variety of factors. There are some guidelines that Hammer publishes on the topic but I've found the product to be pretty forgiving.

Most importantly, I really like the way Fizz works. It's easy to carry during a race, it tastes good, and I never get tired of drinking it. I've had a lot of luck with it. It's also nice to use your own product rather than rely on whatever the RD provides at the aid stations. It adds consistency to your race, and ultimately, your performance.

And...it's a cheap product! Hammer is running a special right now on it. Buy one, get one FREE.

Jon- It's similar to NUUN and is also carbonated. It's just a better product. I used NUUN for a long time before switching over to Fizz.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for the info, that helps. I just found a full container of Endurolytes Fizz, that will easily take me through the 50k. I typically use 1 Fizz per hour in moderate temps.

I think if I go for 20 oz to drink per hour (i.e. 20 oz of water plus 1 Fizz), on top of some perpetuem mixed up to a thicker consistency, that will do. If I need more, I can always have some water at the aid stations - I handled it similarly last year, just with my own "magical potion" for a drink.

Now, I am planning on refilling my bladder at the drop bag location (20 miles into the 50k, roughly 4-5 hours in). Worked well last year.

Do I pre-mix the Endurolytes Fizz with the water already and keep it in a bottle in my drop bag, or mix at the aid station (which seems a bit cumbersome, but doable if it has to be)?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Couch- I just do it all at the aid station. It only takes a few minutes to get the Fizz to dissolve in the pack. It seems more cumbersome to mix it ahead of time.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So you let the Fizz dissolve right in the bladder, not in a bottle and then pour it into the bladder?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

So you let the Fizz dissolve right in the bladder, not in a bottle and then pour it into the bladder?

Correct!