Trailer Trash

Fear: (Read 30 times)

Ultra Cowboy

A couple responses in another thread got me thinking about fear.  It is a word we use and hear from other people as to why they don't trail run...

I define it as an emotion of concern with out a plan for dealing with it, and that lack of a plan creates a spiral of concern, that becomes panic.

When you have a plan to deal with a possibility it is not a fear anymore, but a precaution.  (I'm having trouble finding the right word, Substitutions welcome)

Your thoughts on FEAR?

Branded by the land, Befriended by the wind. You may never pass this way again.  Brenn Hill (new sig 9/25/2015)

I think fear is the father of caution, and caution is also known as smart.

I don't think fear should paralyze people, but it is a valuable thing to have. For example, a few months ago there were two students who were participating in the adult ed program at our college. They were, and I use the term loosely, adults. One guy was big; one guy was small. The big guy threatened the little guy. They went on break and had a word or two in the hall. The little guy immediately punched the big guy right in his nose. A struggle ensued. In the process of sorting things out, I interviewed both individuals, seperately of course. The big guy was embarrassed and angry. The little guy apologized and said, "Sir, I just want to tell you... You can look at me and tell that I am much smaller than the other guy. And I will tell you that I have had my ass whipped before. I wasn't going to take an ass whipping today without getting at least one punch in. I was scared, and I acted." They both suffered consequences for their actions, but I completely understood the little guy's actions, right or wrong.