Trailer Trash

My favorite tree (NUC) (Read 33 times)

Birdwell

60+ MPH winds last night and early this morning took out my favorite tree.

When the tree came down, it caught our electrical service lines. The tree won.

I replaced the electrical panel myself. We lost power for 10 hours or so. Luckily we have wonderful neighbors who ran extension cords through our backyard so we could plug in our refrigerator and freezer. (They also brought dinner)

Tomorrow I'll start sectioning up the tree, and stacking it to dry. There's a few widows down the way who will use it for their wood burning stoves next year.

The reason that tree was my favorite? Besides being the tallest tree we had (60 feet or so), it was in the perfect spot to block my bedroom window from our backyard neighbors.

(mta: I made the local news! They were looking for folks affected by the storm. They showed me and my yard right after showing the couple who had a tree fall into their bedroom. We were pretty lucky)

Birdwell, sorry that you lost your favorite tree.  It always makes me a little sad when trees come down....  It takes so much longer for them to go up.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

moonlightrunner

Bummer! It is always a little sad losing a big tree. Sounds like it will provide a little x-training for you.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Sorry about your tree . I love my trees,  it's so hard to grow them in the desert , I would be heartbroken to loose a tree like that .

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Is this the poor tree Treehugger kept giving you advice on?

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

Sorry about the fallen tree.  Yesterday's run was going here and there on the exposed bluffs where the 40-50 mph winds might have done damage.  I never like cutting doors in the now horizontal trees that took hundreds of years to get that big.  Our consolation is that part of the wind's destruction allows other trees more sunlight and they will take their place on our runs.

Birdwell

Is this the poor tree Treehugger kept giving you advice on?

No, this was a blue spruce. It did hit the birch she was giving me advice about as it went down thought.