Trailer Trash

Snowstorm Saturdaily (Read 40 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Race day today. Well, just a fatass run of yet undetermined distance - the RD will tell us once we are there. I expect anything between 5 and 10 miles. I have decided to stick with my running buddy for this run and not "race", as he's had a rough time on our last run together and might need some "enlightenment" (cheering up) along the way.

So I got up at 6 a.m. to get my gear ready - only to realize about half an hour ago that my timing was off by an hour - could have slept in a bit longer, as the race starts at 10. Duh.

18F, snowing, with a wind chill of 5 degrees in my hometown, and usually it is about 10 deg colder in the mountains where the race will take place. Sounds like a winter run.

I might have DH drop me off at the start and run home after the race, that would take care of the long run this weekend. If I can get him out of the bed, that is...

QOTD: Gun time or chip time, which should be used for placing?

Me: As I run only smaller races, I am happy with just gun time. It takes only a few seconds, typically less than a minute, to cross the start line even when lined up further back, and you can easily make up for this except for very short distances on the road.

Sure, there's sometimes the annoying bottleneck and conga line in the beginning when the crowd hits the singletrack, and this may cost you 20 minutes or more, but strategy is part of the race.

Chip time is for my own satisfaction, or useful for large races where it can be 5 minutes or more to cross the start line. On the other hand, if you need to line up further back because of your expected pace, those few minutes won't make much difference in your placing anyway (who cares if you finish 1279th out of 5000, or 1654th?).

Run for fun.

FTYC: Enjoy the FA race today. Sounds like some crazy weather conditions. Should be fun.

I am working this morning so I had to get up at 2:30a.m to get my 30 miler in. Felt really good and probably ran faster that I should have (4:50).  Everyone enjoy your weekends/runs.

qotd: For ultras I say gun time. What is a few minutes, am I right. For shorter races you have to go chip time!

Occasional Runner

Leaving the house now for a 23 mile training run on Antelope Island. It's 25 degrees, so it's warm enough for shorts.

QOTD: Chip time.

Birdwell

Morning folks! Looks like we got about an inch of snow last night (In so. Utah) should make today's planned 1.5 hour trail run entertaining And muddy. I think I'll wait until the sun comes up to head out though. I'm going to take it super easy on the run.

FYTC: have fun today, here's to hoping your buddy has a good run too.

Tmotmo: thats dedication.

lace: I'd take 25 F today too.

In other news, I've been having some knee discomfort lately, and have finally made an appointment witht the sport med doc next week.

Ive also added a turmeric supplement to my daily fish oil and glucosamine. I'm almost starting to get desperate. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees in my early 20's, but I never gave it much thought until  recently. On long runs with lots of downhill, it just seems to flare up a bit. It hasn't stopped my running, but when it gets goofy, I have to slow way down. After reading everything about distance running and NSAID's, I've been avoiding ibuprofen and trying to turn to more natural remedies, hence the turmeric. Anyone have success with anything else? I've been told by a friend (a nurse who works with the sport med doc) that he'll most l ikely recommend a cortisone shot in the knee to see if that works. That also has me a bit nervous. I'll just have to see how it goes.

QOTD: they time us at races? I'd probably run faster if someone was chasing me with a gun. If they were chasing me with a chip, I'd probably slow down, cause I like chips, especially with Herdez salsa.

runtraildc

Morning,

after a couple of URDs and cross training to give a wonky ankle a rest, I have 6-7 miles planned for this afternoon when the wind dies down.  I've already seen a few photos from New England friends and family--looks terrible.  For those in the region, stay safe and warm!

Birdwell-- good luck with the appt. next week.

qotd:  chip.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

morning everyone Smile  strength training on tap today (although it looks like a glorious day-sunny w/ highs in the 30's)

qotd: only been in two races, both were gun time- haven't used a chip; in larger and/or shorter races a chip sounds like a necessity

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Marley and I had a nice 6 mile trail run on this very windy 28 F morning. We saw the local pair of eagles roosting near their nest. I was a little sorry that the snow as all north of here.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

10.2 today:

0.7 with the dog around the block

4.5 on snowy  trails with the usual Saturday group, including some uphill log carrys and burpees for *cough* "fun"

5 solo on trails with 4-6" of fresh unbroken snow, occasional 12" drifts

QOTD: Chip time when I actually care about the time.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

KreegSauceRuns

Howdy trailers!  22.5 miles this morning in 4h35m with 2,465 ft. of gain.  Another good run.  Got some good pics along the way.  Concentrated on my uphill running form in the second half and picked up my pace a little bit.  Second Saturday in a row with 20+ and next weekend will be a trail marathon on my home course with hopefully a LR on Sunday to make it a good B2B weekend.

QOTD:  Chip time.  What's the point in having them if you're just going to use gun time?

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

AT-runner

Tim

Wow, I was feeling pretty good about my 16 miles on snowy trails until I checked in here.  Some serous mileage going on today!  We didn't get too much snow from Blizzard Nemo, but enough to make tracks.  I saw some other foot prints out in the woods today so someone had the same idea to run the single track and stay away from the snowmobile areas.  I heard a few sleds, but didn't see ant of them, so a good day.

QOTD:  In my previous life, as a anal-rententive road runner, exact race times (chip, watch ) ruled my life.  I was always the guy with the bad marathon finish photo because I was stopping my watch to check for a PR or a BQ.  Now, I don't care so much.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

It looks like the next two days are going to be work induced rest days. in the big scheme of things I probably need them as I'm not really feeling very well recently.

QOTD: Gun time is OK with me. I don't really compete for time and even in the larger races where I started at the back it probably only increased my time by a minute or so. Since trail races are each so different, I'm more concerned with where I finish in relation to others.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Got my FA "race" and the long run in.

In the race, I stayed with my running buddy, and we didn't do so bad. 58:something on 6.2 miles in the snow and ice are quite decent for my "slow" pace. We had a good run and really enjoyed it. At the start, the icy wind was bad, but in the mountains, we were shielded, so it was bearable. Two people ran in Vibram 5-Fingers with no socks, and of course, the obligatory guy in shorts and short-sleeve tech shirt was also there. Seem to be some hot-blooded runners!

After the race, I ran the remaining 15 miles home, so my long run totaled 21 miles. It was very hard, due to the snow, the cold and especially the wind. Gusts were around 20 mph where they hit - luckily in the woods and mountains it was not too often the case, but it was bad on the last 5 miles home. The cold wind hit me head-on, and I was already struggling with cold-induced asthma. When I came home, I had had enough.

Guess I'll have to get used to some longer distances again, I think I haven't done anything of significant length in the last 3 months, thus the exhaustion. Or it may be the 57-mile week behind me? Oh well, still many weeks to my 50k.

Birdwell, I take Glucosamine daily, and that helps me a lot with joint inflammation. I had severe arthritis after my first child, not so bad after the others, but I am always watchful. I also take fish oil, this seems to complement the effect of the glucosamine. There's glucosamine, glucosamine with MSM, and glucosamine with chondroitin. For me, it's all the same, but you may try what works best for you. It may take up to two months until you get the full benefit, so be patient.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

This should be renamed "Seriious Mileage Saturdaily".  You guys are putting me to shame today.  I was planning on a tough 16 mile trail run with lots of climbs BUT last night the wind was howling so bad I chickened out.  I am such a wuss.  So I traded a workout I had planned for a couple week from now for today.  Went to the gym, 5 miles of intervals on the bike, leg workout, 2 miles on the TM, 20 minutes on the stairs of death, and finished with 2 miles decline on the TM.  All in all a good workout.

Tmotmo - 2:30am? craziness.

Great runs everyone.  Keep up the good work.

QOTD: I have no preference.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

BH Slogger

I was able to get in a 20 mile training run on the Black Hills 100 course, just hours before an impending "winter storm". Mid 30's, little wind, very nice day so far. My Garmin totals show 4,735 ft. of elevation gain, and my pace was 4.0 mph, which has me a little freaked out about being registered for the 100 miler in June. My advantage (or disadvantage) is being able to train on the course. This is not the Lean Horse 100 by any stretch. Dead

Uh oh... now what?

In an effort to balance out the double-digit folks... returning to something above

brisk walking, stitches out, biopsy thingie all positive, happy and tickled to almost

run... weird stuff, almost five weeks of nothing more than walking and the resting

pulse is still below 50--doc looked at me, thumbed back through the records to

Jan 3rd... 44?  Your pulse was 44?  Yeth. Blush.  Giggle.  New growth is all over

the place, rhodies have buds forming, rose thorns are shiny, salal has new flower

tips showing.  44ºF, calm, fog lifting, is good to just be out there again, about four

miles, many stops because of this false spring thing.

QOTD:  Whatever the RD calls for.  Nowadays it is more of a concern when being

passed, or, on that rare occasion, passing someone, when the question arises:

How old are you?  The grey (white?) beards makes us all look the same, even in

our slow motion world.