Trailer Trash

Queen's First 50 Miler: Siskiyou Out & Back (Read 38 times)

Queen of Nothing

Sue

The logo for the race is SOB so a lot of you guys would fit right in. So hanging around these trail running forums in which folks are always running 50 and 100 milers and say things like “I only ran 20 today” makes you feel like you should step it up. I decided to do a 50 miler. It needs to be trails and it needs to be pretty or it isn’t me (that Vermont race Kelly ran sounds horrible!!!). I wanted to run something back in the Midwest so I could meet some forum but a family reunion in August meant I was going to the midwest in August. I located this race and signed up. My running friend also signed up under the condition that we didn’t camp. Later some other folks we run with signed up; 2 for the 50 K and 1 more 50 miler.

We drove up to the starting line the day before the race. Michelle (50K) and Ghenna (50M) were already up there and before we left Letrice (50K) showed up. I’m the midget. After that we all meet up at a Pasta house.   The group included 3 more husbands and friends who came to support us. Sure we done Sunday long runs together but we have never socialized together. So it was a pleasant surprise when we had such a great time at dinner. If only we could have had more wine!!

Here’s my stuff (people who write blogs seem to do this), a little crown to share after and a metal pint glass because they promised an IPA after.

Ok race day: Up early and at race. Yvonne makes announcement, “Keys are in the left pocket of my backpack!” 5 minutes later and 2 minutes before race time…Yvonne, ”Where are my keys?” Us “Left hand pocket.” Yvonne, “No I moved them!” So the race began and off went the pack while we looked for key. My goal was to run a chill race and finish so I was chilling at this point, found and off we go through the start. It’s chip timing so no big deal, wait where’s Yvonne…milling with the crowd!! Side note: Maybe pot does mess with your memory!!

Have I mentioned that the weather was perfect? It was 60 and sunny at start later never got higher than maybe 75. The first 9 miles was an enjoyable single track along the PCT. Beautiful views. This was very runnable. At 9 miles we took a fire road and walked 3.4 miles while being passed by the lead 50K folks. . After that we had runnable PCT single track until we were at mile 14ish. At that point the trail turned into a very long downhill for 6.9 miles in which we left Oregon and entered California.

Mile 22 until 25 I started to see the mid pack coming back. Trail runs…everyone and mean everyone said something to me (ok 2 guys did a head nod). Great job, almost there, looking good, etc. Oregon trail runners are more friendly than California trail runners…just saying.

At our turn around we were handed a plastic army guy to prove we had reached the end when we returned to the 28 mile Aid Station. This is an out and back so we are now heading back…that means a long 6.9 climb which took me to the 35 mile aid station.

Somewhere around here the view was just breath taking. I think it’s this picture but it was taken on the in. I just looked at that view and became chocked up (I cry during commercials) which is hard while running. I appreciated what I did, what I had in life, and that I was out in such beauty.

The turn around and the guy with the army man.

The view that made Sue cry.  My camera was dead on the way back but I think this is it on the way in.

I thought the station was at 34 mile. Up to this point I had been taking it easy. I walked climbs that were runnable in a shorter race, I stayed with my friends until the turn around, and I ate and drank. Now I was at the aid station where I felt I made it. I ran pretty fast those next 4ish miles that were mostly made up of the steep now downhill gravel road.   I was passing some folks at this point. But that relentless downhill takes its toll on the knees. My right knee started to hurt (tight ITB) much later the left knee too but no problems today.

Yvonne: My running partner...her second 50 miler.

Mile 41 aid station we had a couple of friends out just to be there. It’s really uplifting to see someone on the course. They are soo happy for you. I quick hi how do you do and I was gone. I had 9 miles left, 9 miles is nothing right? Well it is when you knees hurt and you still have some downhill running to do. My and another guy keep trading positions between the walk and the run. What did someone say you do at this point? Sneak or creep, I couldn’t remember so I yelled at this guy here I go in the granny shuffle again, just attempting to keep the knees straight. At the end of the PCT where it hits the gravel road with about 1.5 left he yelled out…”The road!” and I cheered and then he was gone. Back at the 41 AS a young girl said to me, “Wow you are doing awesome since the turn around.” I was hoping she wouldn’t pass me but she did when we were in the parking lot. At that point I didn’t care.

Mile 41 talking to Lane who came to watch and the girl in the green was my number one cheerleader...just met her that day.

This is Ghenna leaving the 41.  You couldn't have a pacer but our friend Bruce broke the rules and ran her in.  I don't think anyway cared at that point. 

So I finished here’s the official stuff 80th out of 103, 5th out of 7 in the old age woman’s group, and 11:34:57. My friends finished 11:52:33 and 12:15:29 (she’s 20 years old). They put the medal around me, I couldn’t talk because I was trying not to cry. I controlled myself and they handed me my 22oz of IPA, it was warm so then I lost it and bawled!! But wasn’t really in a beer drinking mood, yet.

Went to the hotel and had a crown and coke, or two. Ate leftovers showered and attempted to sleep but couldn’t. In the middle of the night I felt sick and thought I was going to puke when I realized I was actually experiencing strong hunger pains. I don’t feel that too often.

I feel really good today and although I said I was going to stop this long distance running business I may sign up for another 50 miler and the old man really thinks I should do a 100 miler.

Thanks for reading and for all your support you have given me in the past. It’s been a hard year but the future looks bright!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Sue, can't tell you how happy I am for you, and I knew you could do it.

Nice pictures, and sounds like a great time, despite the warm beer, WTF.   

My wife cries during commercials and anything on the Hallmark channel. 

I can't comment on CA runners, but I do know the OR trail people I've met are very nice and friendly (kind of like the PA trailers ).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! Awesome pics!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Sandy-2

Sue, great job on your first 50 miler.  Sounds like you managed everything really well as far as pacing, fueling, drinking (and even emotionally).  I have to admit, sometimes during a long run you can be quite focused, but then all of a sudden it hits you that you are exactly where you want to be, out in the middle of nowhere, beautiful surroundings, etc. and you just soak it all in - sometimes getting a bit emotional.  I guess there is something in that whole mix regarding the training and miles you put in (literally and figuratively) to get there.

In the end though, I also have to admit..........    I also cry over warm beer.

Thanks for the RR and the photos, I really liked it !!!!

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on a truly royal 50-miler finish!

Thank you for sharing, and the wonderful pictures. That view could have made me cry, too.

You do not mention any fueling, or issues with that - what were you on? (No, no, not the dope. Read: what was your nutrition? )

Run for fun.

Hey, I know Lane and Bruce!  They volunteer every year at ALT at WS!  Small trail-running-world moment...

Well done on your first 50!  Great photos too (although when you mentioned a little crown in the 2nd pic, I was looking for something to put on your head....)

I'm pondering doing my first 50 miler next year.  You happy with doing SOB for your first?  I was looking at Mt. Hood 50 recently.  Want to stay  in the west but run somewhere other than Auburn or the Bay Area.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

some call me Tim

Congrats on a superbly executed race - I wish I'd been that smart my first time out! Wonderful that you had some emotional peaks, too - that stuff's just gold. Thanks for taking us along :-)

runtraildc

Congratulations, Queen!  What a great race and first 50.   And I was choked up for you, just reading your RR (but I cry at parades, so there you go ).

LB2

You already know my thoughts on this race report. But I will add that I can relate to Yvonne. I, too, have been known to misplace keys and all sorts of things just like she did. At least she has some explanation as to why that might happen. I am just absent minded when it comes to things like that.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Very cool! Very happy for you.  You guys definitely have some great looking trails out west. I enjoyed reading your report.

BTW - nice legs! 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Way to go Queenie. The photo at mile 41.. making it look easy. Great scenery and glad you had a good day and weather for that first 50. Disappointing about the warm beer though. LOL. Weren't you the one a month or so wondering about the sensibilities of doing this long stuff. Look at you now. It is a time suck but seems like you know what are doing out there. Enjoy it while you can I say!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

We knew you would do it, Sue!  And speedy too!

Looks like it was a beautiful race, although we missed you in the Midwest Smile  And I'll second Jamie's nice legs comment!

Running is dumb.

Daydreamer1

Good Job!!  Every time I see pictures of the western races I want to come out there to run some. Maybe someday.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Frickin' Sweet!  Congrats on a wonderfully run race- I knew you'd get it.  You're motivating me to look at a 50 mile 

I'd be crying too over a warm beer!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well Marie I think I carry an extra 15 pounds than you have so fueling is never an issue.  But in reviewing it I don't think I ate enough.  The night before I had Fettuccini Alfredo which is full of fat and carbs.  I ate 3/4 of my PJ sandwich, 2 gels, would grab a couple of salted potatoes at the aid stations, a bit or two of watermelon, and one station had peach slices.  I always drink a cup of the electrolyte at each aid station.  after 34 miles I began filling my water with both h2O and electrolyte  so I was getting those calories.

Congratulations on a truly royal 50-miler finish!

Thank you for sharing, and the wonderful pictures. That view could have made me cry, too.

You do not mention any fueling, or issues with that - what were you on? (No, no, not the dope. Read: what was your nutrition? )

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄