Trailer Trash

Desert SW destination Mar 17-21 (Read 39 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I am woefully ignorant of the Desert Southwest and have discussed the possibility of doing some sort of outdoor activity, that may involve a trail run, during my kid's Spring Break March 17-21.  While the temptation is there to hit Lake Powell to join the college students for one last blow-out before I turn 40, it probably is not reasonable...

Given that time period combined with wife and children aged 7-16. (the 16 year old WILL be a newly licensed driver) where would you suggest to go and what to experience?

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Anza-Borrego is nice that time of year and gives the added benefit of being near San Diego so you have other tourist type options . Las Vegas of course , 200 miles of trails in Valley of Fire or Mt Charleston and all the other stuff that goes with Las Vegas .

Birdwell

I am woefully ignorant of the Desert Southwest and have discussed the possibility of doing some sort of outdoor activity, that may involve a trail run, during my kid's Spring Break March 17-21.  While the temptation is there to hit Lake Powell to join the college students for one last blow-out before I turn 40, it probably is not reasonable...

Given that time period combined with wife and children aged 7-16. (the 16 year old WILL be a newly licensed driver) where would you suggest to go and what to experience?

That would be a perfect time for SW Utah (i.e. Zion national park), The lower elevations would be clear, and tourist traffice wouldn't be too bad. You would encounter some snow and ice at higher elevations of the region, but it should be managable.

Lake powell would be cold that time of year (water temps between 48-55 F), but not very crowded. The crowds start hitting in May.

this is the undisputed best info for fishing at lake powell

http://www.wayneswords.com/

If you want more info, let me know. I can point you in a really good direction.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Houseboating on Lake Powell is a great trip but in March good for old folks but the kids won't have as much fun without water activities.  MOAB is pretty cool.  You could go Mt Biking, the 16 yr old could go jeeping on the dirt roads, plus hiking and checking out Arches National Park.  Zion  and Vegas are stops on the way.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄