Trailer Trash

not feeling it friday (Read 37 times)

Birdwell

Morning folks!  4.25 for me this morning.

The past week has been just plain awful training wise. After taking some time off for my knee, I thought I was going to ramp up a little bit this week. but no, work has started to get really busy, and I've been sick. Not sick enough to stay home from work, but sick enough to lose the fight with the motivation monster and not workout.

And then, I decided to do something stupid,  I signed up for a 10K tomorrow. I signed up prior to getting sick, and had visions of placing or winning my AG (it's a very, very small race). Today's run left me hoping I simply finish, with no walking.

anyway, I just needed to whine a bit. I'll put on my big boy pants later and stop the pity party.

MTA: ASUnk00- good luck at Massanutten!!!!

QOTD: pass

NorthernHarrier

Not feeling it here either but I'm drinking good dark coffee from an old Ice Age 50k finishers cup so maybe I'll be inspired Cool. Doubt it though.

Don't know for certain what I'll do today other than weights. The weather I watched last night made no mention of the pouring rain we are having right now. The trails could be pretty gooey for running and maybe not bikeable. We'll see.  But mtn. biking tomorrow in Illinois with a side trip to the beer depot that stocks the good stuff unavailable here. I called ahead and they have set some aside for me. I am a beer snoot.

Bear attack in Northern Wisconsin yesterday. The real kind. Surprised there have not been more with the late spring here there has to be a lot of hungry bears. Around 30,000 of them in our state. Anyway the bear is working over the husband in the yard so the wife grabs the shotgun and shells but has no idea how to load it so she runs outside with the gun and starts hitting the bear in the head with it. Yogi lets go of the guy so they run inside and call the sheriff while the bear stays in the yard waiting. Officer pulls up and the bear comes at him, well he knew what to do anyway. Interesting.

and Marley had a nice 8 mile trail run.  I thought my allergies had settled down, but something new must be blooming.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all!  got an early run along the Yellowstone this morning- 5 miles   Felt good to run on something without having to get on my tiptoes! Big grin

qotd: gels or no?

I've tried several varieties and they are just too sweet or maybe it's the concentration????, pretty damn messy too!  either way I've abandoned them for chewy cubes -Clif Bloks (have to eat them more often as they only have ~ 30 calories/cube)- if it's a long run then I'm getting additional calories from Perpetuem and usually some solid food (right now the Hammer bars are the ones I go to)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

5.2 this morning, was just blah, didn't get into a groove and felt shitty! (Must be contagious)

trail tromper, I feel you on the allergies, seems like they are bad this year.

QOTD I like GU, any flavor that has caffeine.

NorthernHarrier

It's like a funeral around here today.  Wonder what's up. Wink

QOTD--I have a free source for unlimited GU but I just don't care for any gels all that much. I also occasionally buy a couple other brands and flavors to keep around. They are handy and have a long shelf life but I view them more as a longish run survival ration to throw in the bottom of my pockets in a ziplock so the empty wrapper can be dealt with. After the first one or two they just are not palatable for me but like I say I do use them a little.

BTW, Hammer makes a Huckleberry that's not too bad.

Chnaiur

Not feeling it either today. Cut my planned long run yesterday down from 15 to 8, and still had sore feet and was bored. Going to the gym today, and then taking five days totally off from training.

QOTD: I have a bunch of gels in my trunk, but I don't use them during training. After my last multi-$k round at the dentist, I'm trying to stay off all sugary and sticky things. I drink water and try to eat bread, ham, and hot dogs during my long runs. I would consider packing some gels as a back-up during a race, since they work for me and I don't think they taste bad.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Birdwell

QOTD: I use Clif shots. I'll mix equal parts chocolate and raspberry, and thin it out with a little water in a 10 oz bottle.

harrier: interesting story to say the least! I guess that's one way to use a shotgun.

under a rock

My running partner wasn't feeling well this morning so I decided to skip the trails this morning and stick closer to home for 5 miles on the local greenway. Turned out to be a better run than expected. I'm not real thrilled with the rising temps. I wish our freakish late spring had lasted all summer. I hate summer in the south!

QOTD: no gels. I go with fig cookies. My tummy just doesn't do well with the goos. I rarely run long enough these days to need extra fuel during runs anyway so it's pretty much a non issue for me.

runtraildc

Good name for the daily.  Didn't feel like getting too the gym for strength training this am.  Getting ready to fly to St. Louis.  Planning on a quick 4 miles when I get settled in.

qotd:  same as fraggle- don't need fuels on my runs or races, mostly.  When I do, I prefer honey packets instead of gels.

Low_O2

Happy Friday all!

SRD for me today. Life has been getting in the way of my running and trail time lately so hoping to hit the trails for some miles and vert this weekend.

I got in 4.2 miles around the hood Wednesday night after DS went to sleep and 4.8 along the bike path yesterday afternoon pushing DS in the stroller.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

QOTD: When I use gels it is usually GU brand. I can't stomach too many of them so usually only 1 or 2 along with some other sort of solid food if needed. For solids I really like the Honey Stinger waffles. I have been liking the EFS liquid shot as well lately, kind of gel like but goes down much quicker, it can get kind of sweet though so I need to figure out the best dilution ratio.

Watoni

I ran the last two days, and strangely my calves are not feeling it (they generally do not get sore unless I run real long or do lots of speed work).

Anyway, hoping for a ride later today, and a long run tomorrow.

QOTD: EFS liquid shot, but I prefer drinking a mix of enervit gt and carbo pro. Hoping to also try a custom Infinit mix soon.

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Hiked with the dog yesterday and got in a good elevation gain. I was so nervous about bears I had bear spray, a bear bell on the dog, my 12 gauge and my fire dept radio. Then every 5 minutes I would yell out for bears. Now I'm supposed to run on these trails without a gun or a dog?! Last year I was just getting into running more and mostly stuck to the streets. So this year I'm jumping between scared of bears and missing the trails. I feel like a sissy running on the streets and like I'm taking unnecessary risks when I'm on the trails.

QOTD: I hate the idea of gels. So far I've been eating a granola bar and it's gotten me through. When I was home I got a bunch of random gels at REI so I could try them out. My mom and I shared a peanut better GU gel while hiking and it was fairly nasty, but we did finish it. It's my summer to experiment.

DigDug2

Easy 5 on the TM at lunch.  SRD tomorrow, 14 mi trail race on Sunday.  Feeling pretty ready.

QOTD:  Not a big fan - too concentrated.  Big fan of Fig Newtons also.

Hello all! Heading down to the Jersey shore soon for a bachelorette party. Hoping to get a run in when we get there, it's gorgeous right now, and should be even nicer by the beach.

QOTD: I don't really like GU brand that much, besides the tri-berry flavor. I've had a bunch of them in my cabinet for awhile, I tend to go for other  stuff like Hammer gel or Honey Stinger chews.