Trailer Trash

Sahara Saturday (Read 38 times)

sugnim

Good morning trailers.  I hope its OK if I start today.  I'm up pretty early  to get my run in before it gets too hot.  I was in the middle of a fun dream when the alarm went off at 4 a.m.  Someone was about to tell me where I could see wild baboons here in MT.  I guess I'll just have to be on the lookout for them on this morning's run!  10 miles today on what is 2 weeks before my half, and what will probably be my last road race.  Where I live, there's no excuse for spending your free time on pavement.

QOTD:  What's your best strategy for running in the heat?

I don't really have any.  I try to pick shady routes and run more slowly, but that's all I got.

muppy

Good morning, plan on  5 or so after work, planned to run before work however I was a bit sleepy.

QOTD I I try to get up before work to run or else I will hit some shady trails after work. As weird as it is, I do like to go to the track and do speed work when it's hot, or else I go to the rail trail and do a tempo run for a few miles, seems like I concentrate more on the run and not think about how stinking hot it is. Perhaps  it's the satisfaction of dripping in sweat also?

The pooch and I had a nice 7 mile trail run this morning.  The weather was pretty nice, not as hot as yesterday.

QOTD:  My biggest concern in the heat is to take care of Marley.  Not that I like hot weather myself.  I start before full day light, pick a shady route, and make sure there are creek crossings or other water.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Brian Runner

Going out for an easy run in a little bit. Final day of my "easy week". Will spend the rest of my day glued to my computer following Western States: http://www.irunfar.com/2013/06/live-coverage-of-the-2013-western-states-100.html

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Up early for 19 miles.  Still pretty hot and humid by the time I was done.  I ended up running into a bike race (actually I think it was an adventure race - multi events) and alomost got taken out by a few angry bikers.

sugnim - baboons huh? Is there a spray for that?

QOTD: Try to get out early and shade is always nice.  Otherwise the heat n humidity just slow me down.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nothing today...woke up at 4:58 and thought the runners at ws have two more minutes to begin.

Dreams:  The other night I dreamed I was running a dirt trail when my foot hooked on a root.  I pulled and then fell and woke up.  When I got up in the morning the top of my toe nail was torn off.  I must of hook it on a sheet causing my dream.

QOTD:  I skip it and go boating.  Really I get up early but not 4am more like 6 ish.  I also worry more about my dog as I know how I feel.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

AT-runner

Tim

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  2 1/2 hours on the trails. Don't know the distance because I  ran a mix of trails that in an order that I have never done before.  I would come to a trail intersection and then pick a path.

sugnim - I had a very vivid dream about monkeys a few months before DW had our first born.  It was over 24 years ago but we still joke about it.

QOTD:  I'm with Marley, I look for a shady route with a few creek crossings.  I'll splash around a bit and then dip my hat and shirt in the water, wring then out and put them back on to cool off.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Misty

14 miles on trails out at Kisatchie National Forest this morning. This was my first run with my new Camelbak and I loved it! Actual/Feels Like temps at the start: 90/96. At the finish: 95/102.

Heat strategies: I don't really have any..carry water, shady routes when I can...that's about it.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Watoni

Headed for the coast on the bike over the Santa Cruz Mountains. High 90s here on the way to 100+, but 70s at the coast, at least for a few minutes until I hit the climb back.

QOTD: My strategy is to dial it back a notch, take lots of electrolytes, and do a route I know i can refill on water and that is shaded by redwoods.

http://www.enervit.co.za/gttab.php

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

22 miles in 5-1/2 hours on nice shady humid trails. I REALLY wish I had bought more body glide earlier in the week, the last bit I was able to scrape out of the dispenser with my finger nail did not do the job..at all.

QOTD: usually run in the morning.  I will be adding one shortish noontime run a week to build my heat resistance, to prep for my next race.  Last year, only four out of 35 starters finished the 50 miler due to the heat and humidity.  I had to run/walk the 10 miler.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Brian Runner

On the local trails in Waverly NY this afternoon. I'm in the gray, my buddy Jeff is in the blue

Brian Runner

ceezy

10 trail...was planning on closer to 20 but legs/ass were sore from a 5 yesterday with some decent hills (why did I do that run lol???).

Took off and quickly realized my legs were not working well today, tried to get in a few miles to see how they responded but just couldn't get going.  Ended up taking a couple of rest breaks and it was a tough run but made it in the end.

QOTD:  Pretty much what everyone said- shady routes, run later in the day, hydrate ...also have a buff thingy that I pour cold water on before I run and use it on my neck/head...plus I pour some handheld/water fountain water on during the run. I actually think it works well.

BR: Nice Pics

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

supposed to be a long run today, but am getting ready to move, sell a house and all the fun things associated w/ that- so the run was out;

hope to get a long run in the wee hours of the morning tomorrow

qotd: I'll be perfectly honest, I suffer in the heat- so I either run in the early, early am or at night w/ a lamp; I can run more easily in 5 degrees than 85 degrees

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Ended up with 40 miles and 4,000 feet on the bike (hot here, cool at the coast) in the morning, then a 10 mile run with a little over 1,000 feet elevation gain in the evening. It was still 100 at 5:30pm, but it did cool down in the redwoods and was cooling by the time I finished.

Followed WS100 coverage (still am) and getting some dinner. Yee-haw!