Trailer Trash

When you don't get the runner's high... (Read 74 times)

Ever have a run where you feel good physically, but never get that endorphin rush we all seek?

Since I've started running 5 years ago, it's definitely eluded me in the past, but today was rough. I was out  on a 14 mile trail run, the weather was beautiful, and there was no real reason why I should have felt bad. My legs were strong and fast. But somehow my mind never got there. Usually it's the exact opposite. I can't pinpoint why this happened but I wanted to be done with the run from mile 1. I know negative/positive thinking has a huge impact on long runs, but I  just couldn't "flip the switch" today no matter what I did.

I usually get this kind of run about 1x per training cycle, so I'm hoping this is a one off.

AT-runner

Tim

Don't sweat it, happens to me every so often.  It's usually when life gets in the way of my running and the run seems more like a chore than a release.  It's the gut-it-out runs that make you stronger and make the best runs seem better.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I've never had any kind of "runner's high" before. Evidently we're not all wired the same.

Uh oh... now what?

From somewhere else...

If a long run was going to happen today, it was going to be mechanical because my mind was rebelling before my feet touched the floor. I had fixed everything the night before so all I had to do was get up and head out with only a pause for a quick cup of coffee. The first hint of an uncooperative mind was when I hit the snooze button at o’dark thirty in the morning. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes trying to track down a phrase that was flitting through my mind--the impending rush to doom.

It seemed like the sort of thought that would wander in and out of your mind as you hurried to a DNF, or didn’t hurry out of bed, avoiding Saturday’s long run, mentally justifying a well-earned (yes, well-earned, absolutely well-earned) DNGOTD (did not get out the door). Oh me, maybe I’m tired. I’m probably overtraining again. This would be a good time to quit keeping a diary because my diary (corroborated by a multicolored spreadsheet) says I am coming off a rest phase. (Rested? Really? Doesn’t feel like it.) Okay, what is it then? Who cares? Zap the coffee, grab a bagel, and get out the door....

---

or  http://multidays.com/reasons-to-be-slow-john-morelock/

or...

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

From somewhere else...

If a long run was going to happen today, it was going to be mechanical because my mind was rebelling before my feet touched the floor. I had fixed everything the night before so all I had to do was get up and head out with only a pause for a quick cup of coffee. The first hint of an uncooperative mind was when I hit the snooze button at o’dark thirty in the morning. I stared at the ceiling for a few minutes trying to track down a phrase that was flitting through my mind--the impending rush to doom.

It seemed like the sort of thought that would wander in and out of your mind as you hurried to a DNF, or didn’t hurry out of bed, avoiding Saturday’s long run, mentally justifying a well-earned (yes, well-earned, absolutely well-earned) DNGOTD (did not get out the door). Oh me, maybe I’m tired. I’m probably overtraining again. This would be a good time to quit keeping a diary because my diary (corroborated by a multicolored spreadsheet) says I am coming off a rest phase. (Rested? Really? Doesn’t feel like it.) Okay, what is it then? Who cares? Zap the coffee, grab a bagel, and get out the door....

---

or  http://multidays.com/reasons-to-be-slow-john-morelock/

or...

Love it, John! This really hits the spot.

It gets me out of my groove of low motivation and puts an end to my endless justifications of DNGOTDs (overtraining on 25-mile weeks, wind too strong, too early, too late, ...)

Thank you for your thoughts!

Cocktails: I have never had a "runner's high" either, at least not during the run, perhaps a good feeling after. I do feel good sometimes during a run, when everything clicks, but it is definitely not a rush. Maybe I use up all my endorphins masking the pain?

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

"just runnin’, that was all we were doing."

This was great John.  I needed that too.

TnC - one of the things I have noticed about trail runners and ultras runners (many times synonymous) is that we approach the normal runs differently than a primarily road runner.  In my road running days, I thought I was fast (all in the eye of the beholder I suppose) and I can remember some semblance of a "high" - basically a feeling that I could run fast - little feeling inthe legs and other moving parts - almost like I was floating as I was running.  Since I "slowed" things down and run with a different intent now, I rarely if ever get that anymore.  But if I am running long (usually on trails), I have more of a general sense of well being and enjoying myself over a longer period of time.  I will take the latter everytime.  I wouldn't like "chasing the high".  It never stays.

Having said that, some runs will not feel nearly as good as others.  You take the good with the bad.  I have learned that the hard way through many of my races - more poor races than good ones.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Thanks, all, for the helpful comments. I suppose i don't really get that same "high" that I used to either, but instead, it's more of a general contentment, like boyjame and FTYC referred to. The problem yesterday was that I did not really get to that zen-like place at all during about 3 hours of running.

It could have been a number of factors that I don't mind separately, but in combination, really put a damper on things: wrong time of day, not dressed appropriately for 2nd half (major wind), mud, crowded trails etc.  I really felt like I was just being a big baby about everything, which in turn, made me feel worse (i.e rumination). I just kept asking myself WHY I was out there doing this, which is so unlike my normal state.  I normally feel so motivated, present, and goal-oriented during a long run.  I guess we're all allowed some "negative Nancy" time on the trails.

I'm taking the day off today to decompress and rest. Interested to see how my next run will go. Usually after a really "down" run I tend to feel pretty good the next time out.

John M. - Love that post. Will keep it in mind for the future...

Ultra Cowboy

Sometimes you need something to day dream about when the body is willing but the mind is cluttered.  I've had some interesting brainstorms while on run-autopilot.

WYBMADIITY

Save

So I wrapped all my thoughts up in a blog post about this. Thanks for your input, all.

http://trailsandcocktails.blogspot.com/2013/02/chasing-high.html

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Why should the girl who always hated running until 5 years ago become an ultrarunner? 

Because you can!

(good write-up btw)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Irish Luck

Love the write up!  I feel like you are reading my mind! The first 3 miles of any run are my "warm up" and then I hit the zone.  I have had some "ugh, wtf was that ugliness?!" runs before--and that usually involves the muddy conditions you described or the wheel ruts from cyclists.  Oh yes, and there have been tears after some of these runs (I'm no drama queen, as my 17-year-career-football-playing-husband doesn't stand for such nonsense).

Why should the girl who always hated running until 5 years ago become an ultrarunner? 

Because you can!

I agree 110%.

This was exactly me.  It wasn't until I hit 30 did I even attempt to enjoy running. I was not "sporty" in my younger years and was a bit of a spaz and had little to no athletic talent (and believe me, I tried so many sports).  The only one I really stuck with was softball (and again, no talent with that one) and I'd avoid baserunning like the plague.  I also had a hard time embracing the idea of running more than 15 miles--and surviving it.  Wink

Then I did Labor Pain 2012, and completed the 50K distance. Followed it up with Blues Cruise 4 weeks later.  The goals for those races were just to finish. The 50Ks of 2013 will be more calculated, with game plans and goals for finish times.

Oh, and PS: I was at the ESE on Saturday--pouring beer for the Sly Fox beer tent.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice write up, TnC.

+1 to you can, and you will.  The bad days can teach you a lot about mental strength, especially when you gut it out and finish your planned distance.  They also make the goods days so much more enjoyable.

I had a bad day Saturday.  I was recovering still from the stomach virus and DW dragged me out for a run.  It was not fun, but i did it.  Sunday, went out and ran some hills that I haven't been to in 3 years or so.  It was a fantastic day, made even better by the difference in how I felt from Saturday.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Ultra Cowboy

Here is another graphic for you.  Notice the absence of the words "are fun".  Cause every ultra runner knows sometimes FUN ain't fun....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Ah it feels good to get it out. I'm already looking forward to my run tonight...it's supposed to rain and I weirdly love running in the rain.  Thanks for all the kind comments! It was very therapeutic to write that post last night.

Erbur78 - I went to the Sly Fox tent, maybe I saw you! I tried a little bit of the Oddysey IPA, it was pretty good! Maybe the beer had something to do with my bad run Wink Just kidding, I definitely didn't have enough beer to affect my run.

I've been thinking about running Labor Pains and Blues Cruise also. We'll see if they line up with my fall plans!

runfastandie

You get it once every training cycle, I get it once every 28 days.  I just do it. I feel and think like hell and the running is always horrible- but when I'm done I can check the box. sometimes it is just like this.   Music often helps.