Trailer Trash

Manic Mondaily (Read 32 times)

moonlightrunner

Good morning! Taking myself off lurking status!

Running has been a bust lately. Broken toe and broken spirit. Today....I am taking my life back. I'm on vacation! And moving from an apartment to a house. There will be time for a 4 miler to shake out the cobwebs.

Congratulations Sue and Kelly! AT...you have been putti,g in great miles. You are all an inspiration.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

Usually an SRD on Monday, but this will be coolest day of the week so will get a few miles in at lunch.  Mid 90's with humidity the rest of the week, which is perfect weather for Marie to run.

Moon - sorry about the toe, but congrats on the new crib. Any trail close by?  You'll get that mojo back in no time!

Forgot to say that yesterday's run DW saw her first Timber Rattler.  It was 1/2 way across the trail when I came by and I waited for her and showed her.  She was glad she saw one, but not happy at the same time.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

7 miles while exploring new trails in the new hood. I was primarily scouting a good trail for the pups. We sent them to the boarder before we moved so they wouldn't be underfoot the whole time. They come to their new home later today.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Back from a week of chaperoning little rugrats at a church camp.  It was actually pretty fun and I am not as tired as I thought I would be. No running though for 8 days.  Shook off the rust yesterday and ran a slow 8 miles.  I wanted to get up this morning and put in another 8 miles but the stupid light and noise show we had around midnight kept me up for a while...so I stayed in bed.

Kelly - are your new trails better than your old ones? Either way, still jealous.

QOTD: Speaking of rattlers (thanks AT), what fears do you have regarding trail running (either real fear or irrational fear)?

The main fear I have is scaring a bear.  I know bear are generally not fond of humans and do not want to hang around but if you are running in overgrown areas and by yourself, they do not always hear you.  It is not irrational for me because it happened once.  Thankfully she was seemingly just protecting a den down the hill possibly and never showed any aggressive tendencies...but still scary nonetheless.

Have a great week!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

runtraildc

Got in a little over three yesterday.  Half road-half trail.  Ankle was a little wonky, but it seems fine today.  May run on the treadmill later.  I have a 7 mile trail race in a week and I really want to run.  I'm over the worst so I'm optimistic.

qotd:   right now, since we're heading to WY in a couple of weeks and I'm just a little fixated on it, scaring a brown bear.   Way off in the distance, I'm good.

Occasional Runner

Kelly - are your new trails better than your old ones? Either way, still jealous.

The quality is about the same, but there are way more options at the new house. Access is also better. At the old house, I had to go to the end of the street to hit the trailhead. At the new house, there's a trailhead much closer.

XtremeTaper

Good morning all... back from the south where we visited family in FL and GA. We celebrated my mom's 75th birthday, our 25th anniversary and also one of my BIL's birthday. It was a pretty low key trip but good to see everyone again. We didn't much touristy stuff other than an airboat ride in FL on the Withlacoochee river which was pretty fun and a drive out to Cave Springs GA where I kept seeing Pinhoti trail signs but I did not make it on that trail unfortunately. Poor planning on my part. Running was not a high priority but I did get some miles in most every day (the Lady insisted) almost all on trails. The spiderweb infused FLorida trail near my parent's house in FL, and the Boundary Waters and Sweetwater Creek State parks in GA near my sister's. Hot steamy runs, all of them. Not that much hotter than here but definitely more humid.

Back home late Saturday night after a 13+ hour drive and yesterday packed up the Lady for a trail run at French Creek in the PA heat. Felt pretty good actually. I did not get out to the trail until about 1pm and I was expecting an awful run but the mid 80's felt pretty good and we had a decent run of 8 miles on one of our regular loops. Likely we will hit Coventry Woods trails tonight. I have a 6 hour race over there this upcoming weekend.

QOTD: No bears, mountain lions, or any of that in the areas where I run so my biggest fear is wind and falling limbs. I had a close call once in a freak snowstorm so now when it get's windy I pay attention to what's going on out there.

AT - Saw a timbler rattler once on the AT up by the Pinnacle. Right smack dab in the middle of the trail.

Queenie - Congrats on the 50! Sounds like you rocked it.

Moonlight - Hope you get that mojo back.

Lace - Lucky dogs with all the trails nearby. How are the trails in the winter out there?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Daydreamer1

SRD. Spending the day at work. Looking at a hellaciously  busy week ahead. Doubt I'll get any meaningful miles in.

Moon - Welcome back.

QOTD:  Injury.  Falling, breaking a bone and having to crawl miles to get out or get to cell service. After that it's ticks then snakes. Bears, canines and people don't concern me too much, I have ways of handling those issues.  About two years ago there was a lost runner in the northern part of the state that supposedly had fallen and hit her head and couldn't find her way out.

Occasional Runner

Lace - Lucky dogs with all the trails nearby. How are the trails in the winter out there?

They're usually runnable all winter. The new place is 1200' higher, so I'm not sure what to expect.

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  Probably have to say a head injury.  Since the majority of my runs are solo, and I run in some remote areas (as far as car access), if I were to have a head injury I'd be SOL.  Plus most of the emergency responders in my area are way too out of shape to make it several miles into a trail system to get me out.

As a note, DW and I have always said if we get injured on the trail we are calling our local bike shop guy.  He runs 2 big Mt. bike races in Michaux Forest, and would know where to go and how to get to us. If we call 911, we'd run out of cell battery before we could explain where we were.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers. Strength training this evening, raining so hard I had to bag the bike commute- we desperately need the rain so no complaints

qotd: not really a fear, but I often run in very remote areas, by myself- a serious injury could be a little hairy. I try to offset those risks by using a SPOT tracking device, providing detailed route plan w/ DW, carrying just enough gear to get me through a night out

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I'll get some this evening, probably around 10.

QOTD: I can't think of anything I fear, but I certainly respect snakes.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'll get some this evening, probably around 10.

Lucky bastard 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

moonlightrunner

Qotd: I don't run in remote areas, and the only other predator in the trail are coyote...which are of no concern. I guess falling branches and trip-and- falls. At my age a broken bone is no small issue.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

muppy

5.6 miles on the road last night.  I looked down and saw a shiny,  brand-new $20 bill waiting for me to pick it up!

QOTD  I do get concerned about ticks and Lyme disease.  I carry my phone so if something would happen and I'm injured I can call for help, but if it's a really bad fall it might break the phone so it defeats the purpose .