Trailer Trash

Some last-minute 100-miler questions (Read 65 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

So I've been running a bit more, updated some of my gear, booked a hotel for the family, and now I'm getting antsy and intimidated.

Some last questions are still bothering me:

1) Do I need a second headlamp?

Just in case I break my only one during the night? Does that ever happen?

2) How do you manage food, drink, headlamp, extra clothes during the early stages (first 40 or 50 miles) of the race when you don't want to carry a backpack? With my current plan, I'd need the pack for drink and the lamp, and the handheld for food (I could tuck that into the pocket of the pack). Or shall I run with 2 handhelds on the first 45 miles (never done that before, though, but I could still try in the remaining 2 weeks)?

I'm lazy, so I'd like to avoid the pack in the early stages, but haven't really figured out how to do it (on one of my 50-milers, I was wearing a belt plus the handheld, and refilled from drop bags, but I am not sure if this is such a good idea in a longer race, where I will need more food early on and have less drop bags available).

3) Recently, I've had problems with chafing (never had this before), especially on my upper inner thighs, and on my lower back from the pack (some bones sticking out with no "padding" between skin and bone). How do I manage that best? I'm planning on wearing long tights or capris in order to protect the thighs, but what about the pack (can't afford a new one now, and don't have enough time to try, I think - risk it anyway?)?

4) Is it a good idea, or a waste of time to change clothes for the night in order to stay warm, especially toward the morning hours? Just throw on the jacket, or change completely (keep a change of clothes in drop bags)?

5) If my shoes fit well, and I haven't had trouble with them on my 50-milers, shall I have shoes to change into at some location anyway, just in case I get blisters or sore feet?

6) Are knee-high socks a good idea, or are they just a pain (read: Shall I buy some now)?

Run for fun.

1) I get SO paranoid that something will happen to my headlamp that I always pack an extra in a drop bag (along with batteries).  I use a headlamp/flashlight combo; the headlamp provides overall illumination while the flashlight will provide spot illumination.  At Cascade Crest I stupidly did not pack batteries in my pack and of course my handheld went dead.  Fortunately I only had to run about 10 miles before I could replace the batteries that I packed in my dropbag.

2) I typically carry two handhelds and a Nathan pack (non-hydration) during the early hours.  The handhelds are easier to monitor how much I've been drinking, plus I can put water in one and sports drink in the other.  The Nathan pack holds my gels, et al.  I'll then switch to a hydration pack and ditch the handhelds for nighttime.

3) I'd say keep on lubing up as much as you can (perhaps even carry some).  I also carry Wet Wipes to wipe the salty sweat off of me and then lube up (the area between the girls gets particularly sweaty, which then becomes gritty with salt).

4) Yes; it SUCKS getting cold.  I normally will throw in my ultralight Pagagonia jacket from the get-go (helps with wind), then will change in to a long sleeved shirt for night time.  You could also pack a mylar blanket which doesn't take up too much room but will provide warmth in a pinch

5) I normally like to have a change of shoes, but if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.  However, I had just run through a creek at Cascade Crest so I changed my shoes/socks at the next aid station.

6) Not necessary, but they can be nice to keep the extra dirt off.  I typically just wear light compression calf sleeves with my regular socks.

That's my two (or six) cents!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for the tips, EDRW!

One last question: How do you keep your pacers updated? Call them on the phone? Just have them wait?

I don't have a crew for most of the time.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Hi FTYC,

I took a look at the OC100 web site and see that you’ll basically be doing three 31 mile loops, plus a little extra at the end.  You can have a drop bag at the halfway point of the loop (AS2) and also at the start/finish (AS4). My input below is made with this in mind.

1) I use a headlamp and a handheld similar to EDRW.  Since it will be dark at the 5am start, I would start with that combo and then plan on dropping it off in my drop bag at AS2 after it gets light.  I’d also have a spare handheld (and maybe a headlamp) at the start/finish AS4.  That way you’d end up having a full set at each end of the loop and later on when it starts getting dark you can pick up the combo at either end of the loop.

2) I would have whatever I’d want to eat/drink in my drop bags at AS2 and AS4.  That way I’d have what I want at about 16 mile intervals and I’d “travel very lite” in between, probably just a handheld with a few Gels.  I’d be able to replenish the Gels and whatever from my stash of stuff at either end of the loop.

3) Have Bodyglide at AS2 and AS4.  Reapply as often as necessary.

4) I always pack extra shirts in my drop bags to change in to, have NEVER used any of them.  I have used the spare stuff to add layers when it got cold.

5) You might as well have a spare set of shoes at the S/F AS4. I have only changes shoes once during a race.

6) I have a pair of compression socks, but have never worn them while running.  I think for me they’d be too warm.  I do wear them for recovery.

Bonus question) Your pacers can check with the race folks at the S/F to get info on where you are.  I think that they will also have live updates on the web site if your pacers have smart phones they can keep track of you.

Don’t worry you are going to do great out there. Just put a bunch of stuff (but don’t over-do it) in those two drop bags and you’ll be good to go.

By the way, I’m also guessing that you can set up a little “camp” at the S/F area with your stuff, a cooler, chair, etc.  You should check with someone else who has run it to see if they allow that.

Good luck.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've only run up to 100K so far, but I've crewed and paced a lot of 100s.  I hope my advice still counts Wink

1.  While pacing Scrapster, she took a dive on a slippery rock in the middle of the night and her headlamp went flying off her head.  It fell apart.  I managed to put it back together and it still worked, but it definitely could have totally broke.  We both had headlamps and flashlights, so it wouldn't have been the end of the world, but you just never know.  I would want two sources of light on me during the night.

2.  I would probably run with a pack the entire time, but I tend to like to carry a lot of stuff on me.

3.  You can NEVER have too much lube.  I always have some on me.  You never know when something weird will start chafing.  Once my pack chafed me so badly it left scars.  My shorts have also chafed my lower back before.  If I duct tape the spots on my back where I know I chafe, I am okay.  The duct tape method has stuck for 15+ hours before.  It was a bitch to pull off, but it worked.

4.  I agree with Betsy.  Being cold SUCKS.  I know you have problems with Raynaud's too, right?  I would definitely think you'd want some gloves and a jacket with you.  I don't think totally changing clothes is necessary, but having the option to do it is important.

5.  If it ain't broke, don't attempt to fix it.  I changed socks half way though my 100K just to change socks even though nothing was bothering me.  I ended up with a blister not too many miles later.  Maybe it was the socks, maybe it wasn't, but I wouldn't change shoes just to change shoes.  Again, I would make sure I had the OPTION to change shoes (bring them along), but wouldn't change them unless something was bothering me.

6.  I have ran with and without compression sleeves.  They do keep your legs slightly warmer during the night and help to keep the dirt off, but if you haven't used them before, I don't think you'd find any benefit to start wearing them now.

I think the best thing you can do is bring a ton of stuff so you have a bunch of different options, even though you won't wind up wanting or using 90% of it.  I always figure it's best to have it and not use it, than not have it and want it.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

1) Yes, most definitely take along a second light source and extra batteries for both. I run without a pack and simply stash a ziplock bag with my handheld and spare batteries in my shorts pocket. I found changing the batteries every 2-3 hours at night in my main headlamp gave it more light and allowed me to see the trail better.

2) I'm not sure I understand the question but I never carry a pack either. 2 handhelds, loaded with gels in the key compartments, extra gels and saltabs in my short pockets. Drop bags along the way to replenish stuff. With a loop course you can have access to your stuff pretty frequently.

3) I've gone back to vaseline. Gobs and gobs of it. THis has kept me chafe free for my last 2 ultras. I kept some small hand towels in my drop bag to clean up my hands after relubing. That stuff is nasty sticky but it seems to work.

4) It really depends on the conditions. Have all the stuff you might want in your drop back (fresh shorts, tights, shirt, socks, jacket, gloves, etc) so that you can make a decision when you get there.

5) Same as above. If you stash a fresh pair of shoes in your drop bag you can make the decision during the run based on the condition of your feet and/or shoe.

6) No opinion on the knee highs.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Better to have and not need, than to need and not have.  That includes lights, shoes, shirts, lube, jackets, etc.

I like a pack, but mine is very light and I usually only fill with 60oz of water at a time.

Sandy's analysis looks great on how to handle loop course and drop bag.

Try nothing new on race day. If you don't train with compression, don't use it.

Don't worry about your pacer!!!  You'll have enough to concentrate on and Jamie's job is to worry about you.  Besides, with a loop course, he'll have a pretty good idea of where you are.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you for your analysis and advice, everyone!

I usually run with two lights in the night (headlamp and handheld flashlight), at least on trails, and I find it much better than just the headlamp alone. I also plan on taking two sets of batteries for each light along with me in the night (I once used "new" batteries in my headlamp, just to find them fade after two hours Angry .

I might try the duct tape solution, I hope I'm not allergic to the adhesive. Does moleskin also work, or will it come off soon?

I think I can go without a pack at least the first loop, perhaps the second, too. I just wish my pants had real pockets... ladies' models don't have pockets, you know, that would disrupt the feminine outline. On second thought, though, some bulk addition on the sides would finally give me some curves - designers really don't know a runner's body, me thinks. Wink

Run for fun.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

#3  I have terrible trouble with my bra + pack and have been rubbed bloody . I finally did what I've done for 40 years for horses with saddle sores and applied a thick coating of Bag Balm . It is hard to get out of your clothes but it will last a long time . I have a very small can about 1" x 1" that fits in my pack and I just refill it from a bigger can . I buy it at the Feed Store but you can sometimes find it at other stores or online.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My 2 cents:

Don't worry about your pacer(s) as AT said.  (Although if you happen to drop before 3 pm on Saturday, you could let me know so I don't have to make the drive Smile but we know you won't!)

I would suggest checking all your batteries before you leave and make sure you have no duds.  A back up headlamp would not hurt.  (see next one)

How do you feel about muling? It is against the rules but if it's a case of carrying batteries or a flashlight, I don't see the big deal.

I'm not lubing you...just saying.

I would suggest taking the time to change clothes.  Comfort is better than the 5 minutes you might save.

Use your drop bags, use your drop bags, use your drop bags.

See you in 2.2 weeks! Big grin

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Thanks for this post! Both the questions and answers.

i am sending the link to Rik to read. I am way more nervous about this then he is, lol.

See you guys in a couple of weeks Smile

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Gumby66

1. yes, extra one or two.

2. I usually do the two handhelds but have ran out of water my last two 100's, that sucks. I ran with a pack the whole time for my last and it was great. I got it filled up with ice and the water stayed cold, really helped with hydration

3. Body glide often, as said, you may have to clean up before applying

4. I always have extra clothes, rarely use them

5. I usually have extra shoes, didn't this time, wish I had. I went for a swim at mile 35 without realizing my new fancy gaiters were waterproof, soggy feet for the rest of the race

6. tried knee highs, didn't like em, irritated the tendon right below my knee

Good luck, have fun. Seriously, it makes a huge difference to keep reminding yourself you're out there for fun.

Occasional Runner

This is Oil Creek, right? This is a super easy race and has great logistics.

You won't need a light for very long. I would drop it at the second aid station in a bag and leave it there as a backup for later in the night.

You come through the start/finish area frequently enough that you can keep all your stuff there and make whatever changes you need when you come through.

I would take bottles until nightfall, then switch to my pack so I can carry a layer, extra batteries for my light, etc. Aid stations are frequent enough that one bottle should be plenty.

I have never changed clothes or shoes during a race. I add or remove layers as needed.

runfastandie

Have I been gone so long you are doing a 100 MILER?

SO EXCITING!!! Congrats! You will be brilliant and fabulous! Just don't let your head get in the way :-)

Andie

Smile

LB2

I don't think you could have gotten any better advice if you had paid big bucks for it. One of the things I found out the hard way was something Lace mentioned about the loop course logistics. It makes things so much more manageable than a point to point in my opinion. Sometimes, the distance between aid stations at a point to point is less than precise; you think you are getting close, and you are not as close as you thought. It can really grate on your mental state. Of course, loops doesn't mean it is easy, but the fact that you have run over the area you will be covering at night is good. Plus, after that first loop, you should be able to gauge things a little better as far as pacing and how your nutrition is doing. Because of those things mentioned, the idea of a loop is something that is much easier to get your (my) head around when you start thinking about the distance. You can just focus on running. But then again, some folks have a hard time seeing the car after every loop. But you definitely have some great tips here. And I am sure you will do just fine. I can't wait to hear about it. Good luck.

LB2