Trailer Trash

Thursdaily (Read 30 times)

Occasional Runner

Good morning Trailers!

I'm 8 hours ahead of Utah time, so it's still pretty early back in the States.

I ran 16 kilometers along the Indian Ocean this morning. The winter weather is perfect in Durban, about 65F and a light breeze coming off the water. I watched the locals surf before they head into work, which is a popular way for people to start their day here. I saw a gaggle of monkeys along my route this morning, begging for a handout. It was a nice run.

QOTD: Do you carry a phone with you when you run?

I never used to carry mine until I got my iPhone. I primarily carry it for the camera but have been glad to have it a few times when I wanted to extend my run so I can let Jo know. It also makes her feel better if I have it with me.

moonlightrunner

Lace: sounds like a great run! Wow.

I had such a nice run last night...there were no surfers or monkeys, but there was a new trail in the state park I had never been on. It was mostly thick forest... and smelled amazing. I was all alone except at the end when I caught up with a couple of horses. I loved every minute.

Probably run an hour or so tonight.

Qotd: I always run with my cell phone. So CE I run alone I think it is safer.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Gator eye

No monkey's on my 6 mile route this morning. It's going to be tough for someone to beat that run.

QOTD: I always carry my phone but it's more work related than a safety thing, I have to be available 24/7 on the phone.

The pooch and I had a nice rainy 4 mile single track run this morning.

QOTD:  I didn't used to when I wore a Garmin watch, but since my phone replaced that function I do.  I really don't care about the phone part, but the GPS and camera are nice.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in 7.5 late last night.

QOTD: I didn't carry it until recently when my wife was pregnant. She wanted a way to get ahold of me should the blessed event start happening. Now I carry it in case I need to cut the run short due to unruly children at home.

I'm really looking forward to not having to carry it anymore.

DigDug2

6.6 this morning on the roads - nice cool morning in CT.  No monkeys, but I ran into a family of turkeys - didn't realize turkey chicks were so cute.

QOTD:  not until I got an iPhone a couple of years ago; now, almost all the time, for safety and for music/podcasts.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nothing more than about a 3 mile shake out run planned for today.

QOTD: Still don't have a SmartPhone, so no apps or functions running or photo related, so I leave the phone at home.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

I did 10 miles after work yesterday.  No monkeys or surfers, but I did see two little rattle snakes.  We've had about 6" of rain over the last two days and they were trying to dry out I guess.  I shooed them off the trail with sticks.

Today I'll do 5 at lunchtime.

qotd: I never carry a phone except when I'm doing very long runs overseas.  The map has come in handy once or twice and taking photos is a plus. I'll also add that I typically have a "local contact" dialed in just in case I need assistance.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

URD. I was going to run and still might. But my daughter reminded me that she only has three days to get out of her apartment!!! So, I'll be lifting a bed, tables, sofa, and love seat. And, I am so lucky that my ex-wife will be there to help. We never worked well together... As such, the lifting will be done as supersets. Pile this crap up high and lets make one trip to storage.

Anyway, I probably need to give the legs a little rest from running this week. I have already surpassed my mileage goals substantially, and I'll be running 12 hours on Sunday. I feel pretty good that I feel confident to jump back in this 12 hour fat ass run on some of my favorite trails. I am going on faith and bringing very little to this event: body glide, vaseline, Tailwind, and water. We are going to see what this stuff does. So far, on the long runs I have done with Tailwind, I just don't get tired and have been running much faster (about a minute per mile faster on the trail) than I run on long runs without it. Those slower paces without it leave me tired; those faster runs with it, leave me feeling just fine. My wife, who rarely comments on my running, even said, "How can you run that long/far and then be just fine to do whatever afterwards?" My answer has been, "I don't really understand this, either." It is really hard to believe how well it has worked so far, but I haven't been out for 12 hours on it. I am pretty excited to see what the day holds.

QOTD: Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't.

LB2

LB2

6.6 this morning on the roads - nice cool morning in CT.  No monkeys, but I ran into a family of turkeys - didn't realize turkey chicks were so cute.

Hmmmm. Early hatch up in CT. I don't think your turkey season even closes until May 31st, same as NY. Typically, seasons are set to begin after the initial breeding has already occurred. They rarely get it just right. On average, for the SE US, hen turkeys begin incubation on April 16th, and I think it is a 28 day incubation period where the hen sits on the next 24/7, only leaving to defecate or eat. I think that time frame would be pushed back by at least a week, maybe 2 as far north as you are. So, maybe they are right on time. Many nests are lost to predators, flooding, etc, and many hens will re-nest. I have seen baby chicks well into August that are no bigger than a quail.  I have heard, from reliable sources, reports of small chicks as late as November down here. I am gravely concerned about this year's hatch. We are having a terrible time with rain here right now. Well, I guess that is more than you ever wanted to hear about turkeys. I hope you see many more on your runs.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I got a nice 6 mile run in this morning- low 40's, slight breeze- another perfect morning!

qotd: I carry mine, where I run is pretty remote (better than a fair chance no one will amble by), I know the DW appreciates me having it w/.  I do plan on getting a "smart" phone in the next couple of months- it'll give me GPS, camera and my tunes all rolled into one- oh yeah a phone too Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I did 4 miles on TRAILS.  Yay, for trails.  She had some knee soreness so we cut our 6 down to 4.

LB2 - good luck with the move.  I did that with DD#2 two weeks ago, only I fought with DW.   We can run together, but we can't work together.  (Painting the living room a few years ago almost landed us in marriage therapy.)

QOTD:  Almost always.  I get in some pretty remote areas that aren't blazed trails, so nice to have a map view once in a while.  Also, I have lent my phone to several through hikers when I meet someone on the AT.  They'll call home and check-in, and it's funny how fast they make the calls since they are borrowing a phone.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

muppy

Plan on 5 miles after work today.

QOTD I didn't used to, but I started carrying my iPhone for music and podcast, in case of an emergency, and also I can do Google maps and see where I'm at to find new trails to run or if I get lost i'd like to think it would help me.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I did not get out of bed this morning but hoping Earl is wound up so the husband says, "Take Earl for a run, he needs it!"  or he's busy doing crap and I go for a run.  Umm if I do run there still is a chance I will see a monkey, but not a sufer.  Well I might be a surfer without knowing it since he wouldn't be currently surfing.

QOTD:  My ipone is my camera although it takes lousy pictures.  I have an older model.  So I carry it on longer runs because I have the pack on and it's easy.  Otherwise it stays home unless I am on a new trail then I want to have the camera.  I enjoy seeing folks pictures of their runs on facebook.

LB:  You sure love this Teailwind stuff.  When you first mentioned it I thought you had a good tailwind on the run.  I'm starting to think I need to google this. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

Sue: The stuff seems to work for me. But wait until Monday. I'll let you know how it does on a real long run.

LB2