Trailer Trash

Mileage Monday (Read 29 times)

LB2

10 to 12 after work.

What do you think the key is to running longer distances, 50 to 100 miles?

I think there are two keys:

1. Long runs are obviously key.

2. The ability to detach from the physical part of the run and just relax and let it happen.

I think, in regard to #2, we often try too hard and end up being our own worst enemy. Of course, letting go is easier said than done. I try to get into a mindset where I don't think about running at all; I just run. Today's run, even though it is not very long at 10 to 12 miles, will be an opportunity to do that because it will be almost 100 degrees when I am out there. I try not to think about how far I have gone or how far I have to go; I just focus on the next step I take until I don't have any more steps to take.

LB2

XtremeTaper

The plan is for 7 miles on the easy side of the lake tonight but we shall see. Raced the DoubleTrouble 30K over the weekend. Nice to have local races like this that you can jump into last minute. I had a pretty good race overall if I don't compare times to my 46 year old self.

QOTD:

Overall volume

Long runs

Experience (fueling, mindset)

In dog beers, I've only had one.

AT-runner

Tim

Hopefully time for 7-8 over lunch break today.  Storms moving in, so might get wet.

QOTD:  One of the best tips I got a long time ago from the UltaList, was to compartmentalize the run and break it into segments.  That always helps me.  That can be a distance thing or by AS.

The long runs are obviously a given, and I see the back-2-back or stacked runs as a way to get used to the mental grind as much as the physical.

Being able to stay positive, despite what's gong on around you, is key. It's amazing how fast things can go south when you allow negative thoughts to creep into your head.\

XT: Saw you in one of Helen's FB pics before the start.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Spending the day at work so this is a SRD. Legs need it after Saturdays hill repeats and yesterday's easy 45 miles on the bike.

LB2 - We either have a lot of turkey's up this way or they are depressed. I'm seeing tons of them that have been killed on the roads. Never seen that before.

QOTD: Haven't run over 31 miles yet so not sure if I can answer this other than from the viewpoint of not being very successful at that distance. That being said I think for me I'd be more successful if I got in more long runs. It would not only train the legs and mind but I think it would help the GI tract to adapt to the stresses of running long.  At the same time it would help me if I didn't worry quite so much about how my GI tract is going to react and just relax.  I tend to stress too much about things like finishing times, melting in the heat and eating.  I also think there is another component that is really important and that is genetics. It just seems like it's easier for some people than others. But then maybe that's my way of copping out.

LB2

LB2 - We either have a lot of turkey's up this way or they are depressed. I'm seeing tons of them that have been killed on the roads. Never seen that before.

Ohhh. I don't like that.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

At work early, planning on a run later.

yesterday's run was not great due to running out of fuel. I was already very hungry when I started out, with my stomach burning. This translated into bonking at mile 2.5 after the first long uphill. I was just craving food, which, negligent as I was, of course did not have with me. And it did not help that the flies and gnats were pesky and relentless. I recovered a bit, but decided to bag it at 10 miles, as I was tripping and stumbling, and I did not want to risk face planting myself in the greenery.

qOTD: overall mileage and resilience, both physically against fatigue, and mentally. It is important to stay alert and be able to react to adversity quickly and appropriately, with the long term ramifications in mind. I think long and back to back runs are overrated, provided you have a lot of long distance experience.

DD1: I don't want to PPP your bubble, but in my experience, the GI tract's ability to adapt to long distances is somewhat limited. Hope your body is more flexible in this respect!

Run for fun.

some call me Tim

SRD for me... just a little soreness from yesterday's LR, but boy am I beat!

qotd: Well, I'm not sure I'm really qualified to answer with just one 50 under my belt, but things that give you some practice operating in a depleted state (back to back LRs, fuelless LRs) helped to get ready for where your 'head' may need to go in the later stages. Also, I got some good advice here to practice walking, and would add to that - practice the grind-it-out pace as well. I wish I had done more of that, and it's high on my list for my next (as yet unplanned) 50 miler.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I did not run yesterday, I meant to run this morning but did not sleep well at all so I bagged it.  I spent an obscene amount of time this weekend doing school work mixed in with some pool time, grass cutting, and staying on top of Jurek's FKT record.  I guess my brain was still working through the night and would not quit.  Unfortunately, this week is also going to be super busy with school work.  I hope to get a few runs here and there - maybe reward myself at the end of the week with a nice LR.

QOTD: I have run two 50 milers so my feedback is strictly off that.  The LR as everyone states (although couch seems to crank out these ridiculous hundreds without big runs...hmmm); I think figuring out a good fueling/hydration strategy to include various weather conditions (in case it's warmer  than expected); I definitely agree with finding a way to run when tired or low on fuel - this helps train the brain to get through the low spots (it could also backfire and freak some people out); I very much agree with breaking the race down into sections.  That worked relatively well in my two 50s and it worked well in my 50ks too.

Oh and maybe the most important factor in this is STAY HEALTHY.  Be smart in training and do not run too much, utilize rest days, x-training/strength training, etc.

Now I want to go out and give it a try! 

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

12 miles and the gym this morning. Great running weather right now.

I spent all weekend camping at Capitol Reef while I was working an aid station for the races out there. It was an awesome area. My aid station sat at 11,200, in the middle of some awesome country. Good stuff!

QOTD: Like AT suggests, I think it helps a lot to break the distance into small chunks. I try to view 100 miles as a series of much smaller runs, usually aid station to aid station. I also try not to think about the distance, and focus on time. I get my mind set on the fact that I'll be running until the following day sometime. It puts my head in the right place.

The long runs are pretty important, but I think total mileage is even more important. If you're running 75 miles a week and all your runs are 10-11 miles a day, you'll likely outperform the guy running 50 miles a week that's running a 25 mile long run on the weekend.

Most ultra runners neglect training with fueling and hydration. That's what leads to most DNF's I think.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thought about running and then at least walking the dogs but cleaned the bathroom instead.  I took a dive yesterday so I have a skinned up knee and thigh and the ankles are a little stiff.  Gym at lunch and I was going to say maybe run/walk after work with dogs but I think I really need to clean my car.

QOTD:  Long runs and fueling.  I use to train for marathons on my own and never ate.  After a long run I would be tired and often feel nauseated.  I think it was the not eating during a run.  LB2 #2 is a good one.  Yesterday I had no where to be and no one waiting for me so I thoroughly enjoyed the run and when the group stopped I stopped without stress about we should be running!

FTYC:  A woman I was running with yesterday was having a hard time.  After two falls she decided it was safest to just walk it in.  Your a little thing...you need to eat woman!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

bike to work and strength training this evening; still pretty sore from Saturday's race

hope to have a rr up this evening

qotd: I'll let you know if I ever do a 50

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

I spent all weekend camping at Capitol Reef while I was working an aid station for the races out there. It was an awesome area. My aid station sat at 11,200, in the middle of some awesome country. Good stuff!

QOTD:

The long runs are pretty important, but I think total mileage is even more important. If you're running 75 miles a week and all your runs are 10-11 miles a day, you'll likely outperform the guy running 50 miles a week that's running a 25 mile long run on the weekend.

Most ultra runners neglect training with fueling and hydration. That's what leads to most DNF's I think.

I am starting to think that you are dead on about the total mileage, too. I am working on putting those long runs to every other weekend and increasing overall volume the other weeks. So far, things are going well... But I really won't be pushing longer runs (20+) until the end of the month.

Also, I heard there was a lot of carnage at CR this weekend. How hot did it get? What was your take on the high DNF rate?

I am pretty sure that a great deal of the course is exposed to direct sun, which is certainly a huge factor for me.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

There seem to be two training strategies for long distances: one is to keep weekday runs at fairly low mileage and run long B2B runs on the weekends, and the other is to keep the overall weekly mileage high with moderately long runs throughout the week and just somewhat longer runs once or twice a week. For me, the second strategy works well, as my work schedule is irregular, and I usually don't have two consecutive days off in a week, nor are my off days spaced out evenly. The first strategy seems to be an adaptation for Mon-Fri workweeks.

That at is what meant with "long and back to back runs are overrated, Provided the overall weekly mileage is fairly high".

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Also, I heard there was a lot of carnage at CR this weekend. How hot did it get? What was your take on the high DNF rate?

I am pretty sure that a great deal of the course is exposed to direct sun, which is certainly a huge factor for me.

It wasn't the heat, because the weather was pretty cool on most of the course. I think altitude played a big role in it. Most of the race is run above 11,000'. Also, the trail was extremely technical and hard to follow. I think the finish rate for the 100 was about 38%. Stunning course, though.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Why do you think that is?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday