Trailer Trash

Ultra Vests (Read 431 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I pulled the trigger on an S-Lab12 with the idea of using it for unsupported long training runs with an Oh S#!T jacket .

I'm having it shipped to my local REI so I can try it on and return it if it doesn't fit.  Should Arrive by the 31st so I will report back.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Watoni

I pulled the trigger on an S-Lab12 with the idea of using it for unsupported long training runs with an Oh S#!T jacket .

I'm having it shipped to my local REI so I can try it on and return it if it doesn't fit.  Should Arrive by the 31st so I will report back.

I have got one ... I really like it so far

Holden McGruyen

Salomon vests (and all other Salomon products) are on 20% off sale right now at runningwarehouse.com.

Use code "runblog10" for an additional 10% off their sale price.

Under $141 for the S-Lab 5 shipped.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Occasional Runner

Salomon vests (and all other Salomon products) are on 20% off sale right now at runningwarehouse.com.

That's an amazing deal. If I didn't already have a closet full of brand new running gear in inventory, I would buy one just to have on hand.

Holden McGruyen

I just grabbed one for myself. It looks like some quality gear.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

Wow, thanks. I see an order in my future.

As for Salomon sizing - I'm assuming most men are ordering M/L. I'm on the fence between sizes but I do not want this to be too small....the ladies version of my Nathan vest did not fit my upper body well, so I had to go with the unisex one.  I am also 5'7", so I don't think the length would really be an issue with a M/L.  Urgh.

Occasional Runner

Wow, thanks. I see an order in my future.

As for Salomon sizing - I'm assuming most men are ordering M/L. I'm on the fence between sizes but I do not want this to be too small....the ladies version of my Nathan vest did not fit my upper body well, so I had to go with the unisex one.  I am also 5'7", so I don't think the length would really be an issue with a M/L.  Urgh.

I wear the xs/s in this pack but I assume most guy aren't. I'm a pretty small guy...5'8" and 131 pounds. Even at that, the pack is probably technically undersized but I like the way it hangs.

Ultra Cowboy

T&C here are som pictures of the Slab5 on my female friends if it helps.  If I had to guess size 6 with hands in the air?

E. is on the right, back to us...She is more slender .  the lady in the visor is wearing a nathan.  The Bald Dude a Camelbak.

On My Right is the Slender Girl (E) from above, and (L) in front of me.

E is about 5'8.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Occasional Runner

This is how I wear my pack. Chest straps are dangling.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Yeah I would likely go there, my friend works there (and could potentially get me an even bigger discount.....) Though my car is in terrible shape right now so online ordering has been easier lately.

I wouldn't count on finding the Ultra Aspire packs there, they didn't have any in stock apart from some of the waist belts earlier this year but maybe they stocked up since it's running season.  Seems like finding any of the UA packs in person is unusual, most of the online retailers have them on back order as well.

MTA:  I was really referring to Ultimate Directions packs, got the names mixed.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

To shed some light on the boob fit, it depends on how the straps run from your shoulders to (slightly above) the waist. Special "women's vests" have the straps cut so that they run far on the side and don't go over the boobs. You can adjust the chest strap in height, so that it runs above or below the boobs, not right across. I wear mine below, but I've seen many better-endowed ladies wear it above.

You might consider getting a second pack which has more storage room and is not so focused on hydration, for long runs in cooler temperatures, when you need a considerable amount of food, perhaps a rain jacket or an extra sweater and a headlamp, but less water than in the summer.

Front pockets are very helpful, especially in races, when you don't want to have to stop every time you need food or electrolyte pills, or take out the camera. If you think out how much stuff you'll be needing to pack in the easily accessible front pockets, you will probably narrow down the choices considerably.

Run for fun.

FTYC - Thanks for the tips. Do you have any brand/model recs?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I own the Nathan women's model (I think it's called Intensity, but I'm not sure), 70 oz., and I made a modification to the loop where the bladder hooks in, so that it can't slide out. It fits me very well, but has too little storage room. I make do with it, but it's a hassle if I have to carry much food, or in races where I carry food as well (it has only two small front pockets).

I think there is an Ultimate Direction model which is often recommended among ultra runners, and an UltrAspire model which I don't remember much about any more. Someone had found a model with lots of storage room, don't remember who that was on the forum here.

It is difficult to get the "right" pack!

Run for fun.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Re: the nathan packs hydration hook/unhooking issue.

An easy fix I found was to simply use a wire twist-tie and tie it around the loop and hook.  With the sliding closure you can still open the bladder and refill with water without undoing the hook/twist tie, just leave the bladder in the pack when you refill.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Re: the nathan packs hydration hook/unhooking issue.

An easy fix I found was to simply use a wire twist-tie and tie it around the loop and hook.  With the sliding closure you can still open the bladder and refill with water without undoing the hook/twist tie, just leave the bladder in the pack when you refill.

I wrapped a small elastic around the loop which tightens it, so that the hook does not slip out. Works, too.

I have replaced the bladder with a camelbak bladder, and it can also be filled without unhooking it.

Run for fun.