Trailer Trash

Sun-baked Saturdaily (Read 36 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

C'mon, people, its not really that hot is it?

Today's plan was to start my run at 5:30 to beat the heat and get in 20 miles.

I started at 5:30, but only got 17 in before I just called it, the bugs and the

humidity just kicked my ass. If it were I race I would have slugged on through

but not for a training run.

QOTD: Have you learned any new tips this season to deal with running in the heat?

AT-runner

Tim

Good morning trashers.  DW and I slogged though some tough miles in the heat and humidity this morning.  I was up a long steady climb and waiting fro DW to make it up.  When she did she said "where car" in her best cave person grunting.  She was beat by heat and took the short trail back.  I plodded on for 2 more miles until I made it back to trail head.  Tomorrow is supposed to be better.  I can only hope.

jonferg - how was first day?

QOTD:  No new tricks, but have been reminded for the past few weeks how much I hate running in the heat.  Some old tricks are things like ice in the hydration bladder, splash off at creek crossings etc.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I got out on some trails finally!  12.5 miles...the first 6 were great followed by 6.5 of struggling (fell 3X including 2 in the last mile).  There has certainly been a good deal of fitness loss plus the heat.

Took my inaugural run in a pair of iNOV8 Trail Roc 245's which came in yesterday.  I like them so far.  I paid attention to them for the first 2 miles then completely forgot about them (to me that's a real good sign).

QOTD: I've been running at night.  Today I climbed under a waterfall and showered off at the 1/2 way point which was excellent.

**Ask me about streaking**

LB2

Nothing yet. But I will get out there later for 4 to 6 or something.

QOTD: Nothing new really. But I must be doing something right because I am running much faster/effeciently than I have in the past. However, I don't find that this summer is quite as hot as the last few.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

AT-Thanks for asking. First day went well, I started on a Friday b/c the company has

multiple offices in MA/RI and it was the best day to have key people come in to meet

me. I'll be running the day-to-day operations of an office in southeast MA, should be

challenging but fun. My office has a mini-fridge, so I'm pretty happy, a paycheck doesn't

hurt either, now I can replace my very worn out trail shoes.

muppy

Im doing the "sunset stretch 5K" tonight, should be interesting as they are calling for severe thunder storms for central PA. It's described as a "rolling hill" course, so I'd like to see if  running hilly trails makes a difference from last year?

QOTD I try to run in the mornings or else right before I pick my son up at work at 10:00.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am going for a run with the hubby (this is a very rare occurrence) he only runs the TM but it's broke.  He will do 3 and I will probably do 6.  no long run this weekend.

QOTD: I have been running in the am so haven't really dealt with the heat.  And so far the weekend long runs haven't been bad.  I guess it's because it is dry heat.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

dpc3

QOTD: Run as early as possible in the Southwest

51 and foggy this morning for my 11.3 with local RC.

QOTD:  What heat?  Big grin

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Chnaiur

Venturing out of the fog cap to take the worlds best three year old to a water park in the sun. Hopefully I'll get eight in after that.

qotd: I haven't been running in the heat Smile

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

All you non heat running people - are you all from San Fran area? So jealous.  I got out early for 15 this morning.  I actually didn't think it was too bad as compared to the last week.  We had a line of storms roll through last night that dropped the temps by 20 degrees or so.  It felt great afterwards.

Jon - again - congrats!

QOTD: I learned something by reading your responses today.  Must find trail with waterfall!!!! Seriously though, run early, dip in creeks when available, stash frozen water bottle somewhere (worked this morning), run on TM in A/C gym???

I have a story to tell from my run - almost worthy of separate thread so I will try...

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

After taking Weston for a 0.8 jog, I went on a 15.6 mile epic explore of Baldpate mountain, since the usual group was doing  a track workout and I needed to work on technical trail skills.  I convinced one guy to come with me, but he was wearing VFFs for some reason and could not handle the all the sharp rocks and had to bail after 2 miles.  Got lost along an unmarked  trail that degerated into raspberrys and thorns, but finally popped out onto the main trail in an unexpected spot. Crossed over to Washington crossing park and did a 2 mile loop there, then returned. Went through 3-1/2 L of water in 4:45, and had about 2500' total elevation change.

QOTD:  Keep drinking.  All the time.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Queen of Nothing

Sue

After taking Weston for a 0.8 jog, I went on a 15.6 mile epic explore of Baldpate mountain, since the usual group was doing  a track workout and I needed to work on technical trail skills.  I convinced one guy to come with me, but he was wearing VFFs for some reason and could not handle the all the sharp rocks and had to bail after 2 miles.  Got lost along an unmarked  trail that degerated into raspberrys and thorns, but finally popped out onto the main trail in an unexpected spot. Crossed over to Washington crossing park and did a 2 mile loop there, then returned. Went through 3-1/2 L of water in 4:45, and had about 2500' total elevation change.

QOTD:  Keep drinking.  All the time.

Getting lost runs are fun.  Sometimes you find a new trail.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a great this morning with the local running group, ran in the Elkhorns- we ran what will be 23k course in two weekends, absolutely gorgeous-  big vistas, big open meadows, big elevation gains/losses- never have been in the Elkhorns so it was nice treat!

qotd: after our run we soaked in a cold mountain creek, it definitely lowered the internal temps and as a bonus I'm sure it took a little swelling out as well; a waterfall at the half way point would have been very inviting, but we did several creeks where a person could splash some water on your face or soak a hat or shirt

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Afternoon,

Ready to head out soon, just waiting for DH to come home and watch the kids.

I had fun with my boys this afternoon, repairing their electrical car race track and cars, and giving DD a lesson on simple electric circuits ("simple" is hard enough to make her understand, though!). Now we just need a new set of batteries to get the fun going.

jonfer: Good decision for a training run. No need to wrench your guts out.

AT: I hope your DW had a car key with her... Surprised

Zilla: Oops - improving through pain, I guess. Good job toughing it out! Glad your first trail run was a good one.

LB2: Let's be each other's motivator and get ourselves out da door!

Muppy: Have fun on your thundering race!

Queen: Didn't you mention you were on the dreadmill recently? Now if that doesn't look suspicious to me - but joint adventures are good for your marriage, they say, so you should be forgiven! Wink

dpc: Shortest check-in possible! Hope you had fun out there.

Gatsby: I thought the 51 was the number of miles, and I was very impressed. Then I realized... But 11 are still impressive. Hope you had fun with the group.

Chnaiur: You mean, 8 on top of the 200 you'll run behind your 3YO at the water park?? The park sounds like a great family adventure to me!

Jamie: Why did that cold front miss my area? Still temps around 90 here...

jby: Nice adventure! Always great to find new trails and connections.

warden: Sounds like you have found your connection to the local trails and groups already, wow!

QOTD: Not really, but it seems the heat is not bothering me as much this year compared to the last 2 years. Maybe that's what I have learned!

Run for fun.