Trailer Trash

Work/race schedule (Read 49 times)

Watoni

All,

I am accustomed to balancing work/family/training and being undertrained generally as a result. That's life and part of the challenge

I was surprised to hear from work, though, that unless I take the full week off no single day off can be guaranteed. To put this in context, I have moved/cancelled vacations a plenty in the past to accomodate work requests, especially if we can just reschedule (we were going to go to x for a week to relax).

Where this hits hard is for Leadville. I had been planning on only a few days off, so this means if an assignment comes up the view is that I cancel Leadville and just eat the expense. My own view is that I am running, period.

How do folks that race balance this with work?

Occasional Runner

If you've ever seen Office Space, then you can relate to my approach.

I don't even try to conceal that my race schedule takes priority over my work schedule. It took a long time to train my employers this way, but it eventually took hold. When they call me regarding a new assignment, they ask about my race schedule before we even discuss a new set of expectations for work. They realize I would either totally ignore them or quit if they interfered with my plans.

They're also aware that I won't be coming into the office until I'm done with my morning run and if they have pressing matters to discuss with me at an early hour, they need to put on running shoes and talk to me when I run. And they actually do that frequently.

Employers may find that times are changing and they need to change attitude.  Where I work, three people in our division have resigned in the past 4 weeks, out of 28 people total.  There had not been any resignations in the preceding 12 months.  The job market is not as tight as it once was.  It is tough to work at a place where you don't feel valued and your employer thinks that you should be grateful to even have a job. Perhaps you could point that out to the person that approves/denies vacation requests.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If you've ever seen Office Space, then you can relate to my approach.

I don't even try to conceal that my race schedule takes priority over my work schedule. It took a long time to train my employers this way, but it eventually took hold. When they call me regarding a new assignment, they ask about my race schedule before we even discuss a new set of expectations for work. They realize I would either totally ignore them or quit if they interfered with my plans.

They're also aware that I won't be coming into the office until I'm done with my morning run and if they have pressing matters to discuss with me at an early hour, they need to put on running shoes and talk to me when I run. And they actually do that frequently.

That's fucking awesome

I've had a lesser degree of success, but I agree that it is a process of "training employers".  When the company I work for is busy I am sometimes asked to work the weekend.  I've got it to the point where now I am asked "do you have a race on Saturday/Sunday?  Before the request.  For big events, I try to make them known to my boss well in advance, and also...it's completely legitimate to point out that you have already paid for the weekends events.  It sounds like you are generally flexible.  I'm of the opinion that I'll do whatever I can for work but... 1. don't mess with my pay 2. don't mess with my earned time off.

Have they pulled that kind of stuff on other people or is that a new rule?

**Ask me about streaking**

Watoni

That's fucking awesome

I've had a lesser degree of success, but I agree that it is a process of "training employers".  When the company I work for is busy I am sometimes asked to work the weekend.  I've got it to the point where now I am asked "do you have a race on Saturday/Sunday?  Before the request.  For big events, I try to make them known to my boss well in advance, and also...it's completely legitimate to point out that you have already paid for the weekends events.  It sounds like you are generally flexible.  I'm of the opinion that I'll do whatever I can for work but... 1. don't mess with my pay 2. don't mess with my earned time off.

Have they pulled that kind of stuff on other people or is that a new rule?

To be fair, it is a rule that tries to protect people taking a full week off. The problem is we do not really have athletes who can appreciate what it takes to train for one of these events ... I am going to seek to train them, but hopefully I have enough capital to push on this one

It is odd they would require you take a full week off vice just a day or two.  But if I was working a job with similar requirements, for a goal race, yep, I'd eat the lost pay for the week off and still do the race no matter what.

As it is, my last day after 20 years on the job is this Friday.  No more deployments, I am just going to relax for a few months.  Now the hard part with all this free time will just be limiting how much I run so I don't overdo it and injure myself with too high of mileage too quick.

Seilerts... I will need a job again in a few months... Your company still have those 3 slots open?  I'm going to need a new job soon. Big grin.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Occasional Runner

I think it's important to point out that my approach will eventually cost me my job. But I came to terms with that a long time ago and am at peace with it. I have only one life to live so I plan to do shit my way.

I work for the federal government, where job flexibility and work/life balance is the best thing about my job. Basically, I work at my job BECAUSE it gives me the flexibility to do whatever I want, whenever I want. I'm itching for a change though, and I know it would be very, very hard to give up my amazing schedule flexibility.

Sorry I don't have more advice. Undecided

All,

I am accustomed to balancing work/family/training and being undertrained generally as a result. That's life and part of the challenge

I was surprised to hear from work, though, that unless I take the full week off no single day off can be guaranteed. To put this in context, I have moved/cancelled vacations a plenty in the past to accomodate work requests, especially if we can just reschedule (we were going to go to x for a week to relax).

Where this hits hard is for Leadville. I had been planning on only a few days off, so this means if an assignment comes up the view is that I cancel Leadville and just eat the expense. My own view is that I am running, period.

How do folks that race balance this with work?

AT-runner

Tim

I work for myself, so my boss is an asshole.

Seriously, Watoni, tell your employer your days off have set plans that can not change (unless company is ready to reimburse you for your lost expenses).  Other option is take the whole week before Leadville.  Run either way, and if it becomes an issue, you could always call in sick and I'll write you a doctors note.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I am thankful to have a job.  We got the "meeting in the conference room" at a moment's notice last Thursday.  We are a small enough office (40-50 of us) that we know this type of a meeting means either a death of a co-worker or layoffs.  Well no one died.  They had just axed one person prior to the meeting and implied more might be on the way.  So everyday I come in, I feel blessed.  Having said that, I went home to DW that day and said "You better be ready to ask your employer for FT work soon".

My employer has never asked me to take back my PTO days. I have always planned well and never (knock on wood) call in sick.  So I can plan what I want so it's all on me.  But I think that at some level you have to be able to plan your life and your employer shouldn't be able to dictate or change that.  Easier said than done.  It might be all about how reasonable your boss (or boss's boss) is.

But why not take a whole week for Leadville? That's an epic event.  Wouldn't you want as much time to prepare for before and/or decompress after?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Work, what's that?

Oh, right, this regenerating time off family life, I just started a new job last week, right...

Seriously, it's tough. I have always been lucky to have lots of vacation in my jobs, but DH has not, and he usually works weekends regularly, so it's not always possible for me to get away for a race.

Maybe taking the whole week is your best bet.

Run for fun.

Chnaiur

I think it's important to point out that my approach will eventually cost me my job. But I came to terms with that a long time ago and am at peace with it. I have only one life to live so I plan to do shit my way.

Haha - I have budgeted getting fired two times: once for screwing up, and once for doing the right thing. I'm soon 40 and it hasn't happened to me yet, so I feel I'm ahead of expectations at this point.

For me, the upside of having a job where I'm always on call is that I just do whatever I need to do when it fits my schedule. I call it full work-life integration and it works well for me. I do most of my long runs on weekday afternoons: after the east cost leaves work but before Asia really starts.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Watoni

I am thankful to have a job.  We got the "meeting in the conference room" at a moment's notice last Thursday.  We are a small enough office (40-50 of us) that we know this type of a meeting means either a death of a co-worker or layoffs.  Well no one died.  They had just axed one person prior to the meeting and implied more might be on the way.  So everyday I come in, I feel blessed.  Having said that, I went home to DW that day and said "You better be ready to ask your employer for FT work soon".

My employer has never asked me to take back my PTO days. I have always planned well and never (knock on wood) call in sick.  So I can plan what I want so it's all on me.  But I think that at some level you have to be able to plan your life and your employer shouldn't be able to dictate or change that.  Easier said than done.  It might be all about how reasonable your boss (or boss's boss) is.

But why not take a whole week for Leadville? That's an epic event.  Wouldn't you want as much time to prepare for before and/or decompress after?

It would be a good idea. But I have a week off for my 40th birthday and need to also budget time for family visits with parents in various states of ill health .... Also, I think the problem is lots of others want that whole week off, so that is likely not even an option at this point...

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

It would be a good idea. But I have a week off for my 40th birthday and need to also budget time for family visits with parents in various states of ill health .... Also, I think the problem is lots of others want that whole week off, so that is likely not even an option at this point...

Leadville I assume is a weekend. You could call in on Monday complaining that your whole body feels like you got hit by a truck, you're having a tough time getting out of bed, you're drinking lots of fluids, and believe it's a 72 hour thing and that you will be in after that.  Probably not lying.

Sorry that really is not a help at all.  What about bribing a co-worker who has that time off? Ok sorry that probably won't work either.

On a serious note,  I surely hope it works out for you.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

Leadville I assume is a weekend. You could call in on Monday complaining that your whole body feels like you got hit by a truck, you're having a tough time getting out of bed, you're drinking lots of fluids, and believe it's a 72 hour thing and that you will be in after that.  Probably not lying.

Sorry that really is not a help at all.  What about bribing a co-worker who has that time off? Ok sorry that probably won't work either.

On a serious note,  I surely hope it works out for you.

I need the Friday before for the medical check-in ....