Trailer Trash

Hardrock 100 Qualifier Changes (Read 59 times)

Occasional Runner

Hardrock is eliminating Leadville, Sawtooth, Western States, TRT and HURT as qualifiers.

Who would thought....

http://hardrock100.com/hardrock-qualify.php

Birdwell

this paragraph caught my attention.

"A note about the 2013 Leadville 100: The Leadville 100 includes many of the features that are important for a HR qualifier: high altitude, long climbs, potential for mountain weather, and more. However, the 2013 Leadville 100 ignored other traits of importance to the HR: environmental responsibility, support of the hosting community, and having a positive impact on the health of our sport. Because of timing, the 2013 LT100 will still be accepted as a qualifier for the 2014 HR. LT100 finishes will not be accepted as qualifiers for the 2015 HRH and beyond."

Occasional Runner

this paragraph caught my attention.

"A note about the 2013 Leadville 100: The Leadville 100 includes many of the features that are important for a HR qualifier: high altitude, long climbs, potential for mountain weather, and more. However, the 2013 Leadville 100 ignored other traits of importance to the HR: environmental responsibility, support of the hosting community, and having a positive impact on the health of our sport. Because of timing, the 2013 LT100 will still be accepted as a qualifier for the 2014 HR. LT100 finishes will not be accepted as qualifiers for the 2015 HRH and beyond."

I don't think it was necessary to add those remarks, but I don't disagree with them.

I'm happy that the LT100 was eliminated but for different reasons. The race is enormous now, which means a huge number of "qualified runners" can get into the lottery for HR. The other races they eliminated are pretty big too, but not as big as Leadville. It'll dramatically reduce the lottery pool.

Birdwell

I don't think it was necessary to add those remarks, but I don't disagree with them.

Same here. My first thought when I read them was "I wonder if Lifetime cares?"

I haven't heard any kind of response from Lifetime about the issues this past year, and I just wondered if this might change anything.

LB2

I wonder why they took Western States out?

LB2

Occasional Runner

Same here. My first thought when I read them was "I wonder if Lifetime cares?"

Evidently they care about the perception out there and are upset about this. However, I haven't heard a word from their side since the race. They've done no damage control at all. HR is definitely rubbing salt in the wound intentionally.

When I posted this link on my FB page, Cole Chlouber (Son of LT100 founder and now employee at Lifetime Fitness) threw a bit of a fit in my thread. It obviously struck a nerve.

Evidently they care about the perception out there and are upset about this. However, I haven't heard a word from their side since the race. They've done no damage control at all. HR is definitely rubbing salt in the wound intentionally.

When I posted this link on my FB page, Cole Chlouber (Son of LT100 founder and now employee at Lifetime Fitness) threw a bit of a fit in my thread. It obviously struck a nerve.

Honestly, coming from a PR background I cannot believe they haven't done much damage control. Obviously there were problems that need to be addressed, not ignored.  I almost applied to work for Lifetime when I was considering a move to Denver, but I'm glad I didn't after this year's Leadville.

LB2

Honestly, coming from a PR background I cannot believe they haven't done much damage control. Obviously there were problems that need to be addressed, not ignored.  I almost applied to work for Lifetime when I was considering a move to Denver, but I'm glad I didn't after this year's Leadville.

Maybe you should have. You may have been able to turn it around.

LB2

LB2

Chances are they just hope it will blow over and be forgotten.

LB2

Sandy-2

Seems to me that Hardrock and Leadville are in a pissing contest and HR has certainly pissed all over LT by not only eliminating LT as a qualifier, but not even allowing their own defined two year phase-out for LT.  As a 2013 LT finisher it sucks that my finish will only be “good” for one application to the 2014 HR (and not 2015).

lace, one comment. I note your comment on eliminating the “big” races as HR qualifiers reducing the number of people qualifying/applying for HR.  But the result of this could be the HR qualifiers could get more crowded by those who want to do HR.  This could turn in to a “double lottery” gauntlet, a lottery to get into a HR qualifier and then another lottery to get into HR itself.

Of course all this can all be avoided by doing other runs.

By the way, other than being a “big” race with a lot of runners, what was LT’s big offense?

tbd.

Seems to me that Hardrock and Leadville are in a pissing contest and HR has certainly pissed all over LT by not only eliminating LT as a qualifier, but not even allowing their own defined two year phase-out for LT.  As a 2013 LT finisher it sucks that my finish will only be “good” for one application to the 2014 HR (and not 2015).

lace, one comment. I note your comment on eliminating the “big” races as HR qualifiers reducing the number of people qualifying/applying for HR.  But the result of this could be the HR qualifiers could get more crowded by those who want to do HR.  This could turn in to a “double lottery” gauntlet, a lottery to get into a HR qualifier and then another lottery to get into HR itself.

Of course all this can all be avoided by doing other runs.

By the way, other than being a “big” race with a lot of runners, what was LT’s big offense?

From everything I've heard via Ultralist and various podcasts, there was a big negative impact on the trail and surrounding areas because of the cars and sheer amount of people (garbage, trail damage etc.) It sounds like the # of crews was really problematic, moreso than the number of runners.  Apparently they also ran out of cups at some aid stations and some runners were digging used ones out of the trash. Having not been there myself, this is all secondary anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps Lace_up will has a better description of  this since he was there?

Occasional Runner

I agree that the possibility certainly exists, and in the case of Wasatch, it already does. I can see the Bear 100 becoming way more popular. As it is now, it's a pretty low key event. I also wonder if HR will add a few more events as qualifiers.

The 2013 LT100 was fine for me and I didn't really notice anything different from my two previous years. But I've heard a lot of horror stories from other runners about aid station trouble. Most of all, I think HR is just bullying Lifetime. They didn't leave snotty comments on their site about any of the other races they're dropping.

Low_O2

It will be interesting to see if this changes the number of applicants. As a runner who would like to get a qualifier in the next year or two, I am concerned it may make it more difficult to get into a qualifying race. Currently there are still a few that are easy to get into, hope that doesn't change now.

Sandy-2

TnC: Thanks for the info.  But really most of the things mentioned are simply because LT has a lot of people in it.  Of course a race with lots of people will have more of an impact than a race with a small number of people in it.   I think if one could somehow consider the impact per runner there would not be a big difference between small and large races.  If we think about it a little bit, using their logic, a 100 mile race with 150 people in it will have more impact than a 10k with 150 people in it, so maybe we shouldn’t have 100 mile races.  By the way I was also at Leadville for the last two years and other than a few issues related to a large number of people and perhaps some poor management/organization I didn’t see any huge issues either. By the way, since I carry handhelds I hardly used any cups (a few cups of coke.)

lace: agree about the bullying comment and singling out LT.

Low_O2: that is exactly my point about the “double lottery” gauntlet.

tbd.

Yeah, I agree Sandy. I think people are just upset that the race has gotten so large, and some have noticed a decline in quality since Lifetime took over. 

Again, not my opinion, just relaying the things I've heard from others who were there.