Trailer Trash

Wicked cold wednesdaily (Read 44 times)

runtraildc

Good morning all!

Still cold here so went to the gym.  3.5 miles of intervals on the treadmill (all I could bear) and some weights.  Funny, I don't blink at single digits or teens when in MN or other really cold parts of the country -- I just bundle up and head out.  However, here in DC, after hearing the weather folks complain about the bitter, bitter cold of 20's and low 30s, I become significantly more wimpy.  Maybe it was the combination of cold and dark this morning.

qotd: pass.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Wicked and bitterly cold here, too, 5 deg, and a wind chill of -13. I will go for a run after dropping off DS at pre-school. The other DS is still at home sick, the stomach bug showed its effects last night again, so another day of rest for the boy.

traildc: I don't know what it is, but whenever I am at DC, it just feels "colder" at the same temperatures as here in PA. Perhaps the combination of wind and humidity? Or just perception? Anyways, don't freeze all through. Nice gym workout!

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

My left calf is pretty tight, so I did an easy 5 miler this morning. I was entirely uninspired. I can't wait to get back to Utah.

Birdwell

Heading out for 5 miles of hill repeats. I've got a 1/4 mile long hill, that climbs about 150 feet that I use regularly for workouts like today.

Sould be fun.

QOTD: what's a mistake you've made at a race/run that you haven't ever repeated?

at my first 10K I made the mistake of not double knotting my shoe laces. My right shoe started to come loose at mile 4 and was completely untied for the last half mile. I always double knot now.

tjrun

Warm in East Texas! Sorry for the cold y'all. Maybe I'll try to wish some warmer temps your way.

Snuck a quick 4 miler in between school and the training I had to put on last night.

Planning about 6  - 7 today.  Should be about 71* Big grin

QOTD: I was running Rockledge Rumble about 7 years ago and I made the mistake of not eating enough early and often.  It's a tough course(for Texas standards), a very warm day, and I got where I couldn't hardly force anything down.  The last 8 miles was brutal.....slow trudging.

AT-runner

Tim

Burr-morning.  Woke up to frozen pipes in our master bathroom this morning.  We have a 110 year old house, and pipes freeze on very cold windy days, which is usually once every 2 years or so.  Not a fun way to start the day.

Planning 4-5 easy miles in the battlefield at lunch.

QOTD:  Lets just say leaves will work in a pinch, but I don't recommend them.  I've never been on a long run without my TP since.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hour at the gym this morning - 3 miles of hill progression on the dreadmill and a tough leg workout.

tj - we are desperately trying to blow the cold your way but it doesn't seem to be working.

QOTD: the only thing I can think of is poor drinking/eating habits.  I ran a few medium distance races (in th 4-5 hour range) and went solely on how I felt to determine if I needed to drink more or eat.  Needless to say I bonked after 3 hours.  I didn't make that mistake in my longer races.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I ended up doing a little bit of speed work this morning at the track, 4X400 meter progressions. I went a little bit fast on the 3rd one, but it felt sooooo easy. Maybe I should push it more. I feel like I am right about where I need to be at this point in the year. I am just running for fun right now. I won't start training for anything seriously until the middle of May. I only have one race on my mind this year, and it is in December. I will pick up a 50K in March as a long training run, but I will just run it for fun, too.

QOTD: Yes. I always feel like I start too conservatively. I was wrong. I start just about right. I went out too fast on a race last year and paid the price when the temps rose. Physically, the temperatures were a major factor, but mentally, I reflected back on past long runs and races and could only recall the good parts. Now, I have at least one long race that I can look back on and have no really good parts to remember. I needed that bad experience.

LB2

Irish Luck

It's not the cold, it's the wind!  That is relegating me to the gym this week. So, it'll probably be a boring couple of miles on the dreadmill tonight along with a weights workout.  Looking forward to being in Savannah, GA a week from tomorrow.

QOTD: I made an entirely stupid mistake of not carrying fuel during my first trail half. I developed "lazy feet" and felt stumbly for the last few miles. Lesson learned.  Never again.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

The pooch and I  started our 6 mile trail run under the stars and watch it get light during our run.  It was a chilly 14 F with a very light breeze.  I think we both really like these chilly runs.

QOTD: Nothing comes to mind.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

The pooch and I  started our 6 mile trail run under the stars and watch it get light during our run.  It was a chilly 14 F with a very light breeze.  I think we both really like these chilly runs.

QOTD: Nothing comes to mind.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

I'm glad some of you folks are enjoying the weather we have had the last few days. We are at about 10F right now and it feels tropical. So I did my 10k loop yesterday in about the same time as last week. Felt fairly strong and smooth but just can't go any faster. I am still way off from where I should be so I need to introduce some other drills into the plan. Of course walking into the Badger game last night my wife has to comment on that I was limping worse than usual. Yes dear, I know. Sad. Just continue moving forward. It's all I can do.

QOTD--Lots of races and plenty of lessons learned. I'm an honor student of the school of hard knocks. I'll probably think of many over the course of the day but a couple--

Dumbly and blindly locking on to the runner in front of me in a mtn. 50k and going way off course.

Going out way,way too fast in one of my early 10k's and actually doing a death march in.

Forgetting to put little band-aids on my nips and wearing the wrong shirt on a sweaty 50k.

It was brutal here last night. Definitely not used to these cold 20 mph winds.

Anyway, since it's colder today and I do not own insulated tights, I'm probably moving my workout indoors tonight. Cry

QOTD: At the Marine Corps Marathon last year, I ate dinner too late the night before, and had to "go" for the entire 2nd half of the marathon! There were not many port-a-potties and I was determined to PR, so I was just really uncomfortable for the 2nd half. But I did get that PR!  Have not repeated this mistake (yet).

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

cold here again, seems like the norm now, but I'm housebound anyways URD #2 w/ a cold/flu?? (got a flu shot, but sounds like it's only 2/3's effective at getting right the strain)

qotd: I made a couple of mistakes my first race that I hope I don't repeat- went off course (following several other people that also were off course!); got behind someone slower and stayed behind them a little over a mile to the next  aid station, should have said something and passed

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

sugnim

Good morning all.  Still having GI issues, so I may take another rest day.  But I will try to convince myself to get out for at least 3 miles if my guts will allow it.

QOTD:  I make new mistakes each time I race.

AT-runner:  Can you insulate your pipes?  Our house is 73, and while that's much younger than yours, we have no insulation & have wrapped our pipes.  It's cheap, easy, and effective.  I've also read in older books how people would place bales of straw on the north sides of their houses in the winter to keep the freezing wind out.  I hope the frozen pipes don't cause too much damage to your home.