Trailer Trash

Jemez Mountain Trail 50k RR (Read 30 times)

dpc3

I am standing here thinking to myself how in the world do I start this RR, so I'll just begin to ramble.

Cliff Notes:

Start: 6:00 am

Elevation Gain / Loss: 7,052

Finish time: 7:30Tight lippedx

Place: 59 out of 195 finishers

Jemez Participation

If you read the entire rambling appreciate it and have a good one.

Decision Time:

Back in the middle of the winter months I received a phone call from a buddy (I grew up playing soccer with he and his younger brother) up in Portland, OR asking me about Jemez. The conclusion of the phone conversation was if you're in I'm for the both of us. Since moving to New Mexico Jemez has been on my radar screen so this gave my training some focus and more purpose. I put this race down as an "A" race and wanted to perform.

Pre-Race:

Our friends arrived in Albuquerque Thursday afternoon and we spent the rest of the day catching up. Friday we packed up our cars and drove up to the little town of Santa Cruz where they found a house to rent for 3 days and to use as our home base. We decided not to go to the packet pickup the night before and just wait for the morning of the race. I made a big bowl of pasta and sausage and we had our own pasta dinner. I set my alarm for 3:30 am had coffee ready to go and went to bed at a decent hour. I went through a trial run of pre race breakfast which was 3 scrambled eggs and a piece of toast with peanut butter and this worked when I tried it several other times. All was running smoothly and we were out the door by 4:30 and on our way.

Forecast:

It was a beautiful morning cool and a few clouds in the sky, with a high of 82. Not to warm but apparently really warm for this part of the year in Los Alamos.

Race Strategy:

Go out conservative and save energy for the climbs and end of the race. Drink early and often and take in calories along the way.

Packet Pickup and Line-up:

I checked in went back to the car got my number pinned on and went to stand in line for a final curtain call. Everything was going well, I was relaxed and eager to get the day started. All the participants started mulling around the start line so my buddy and I said good luck and lined up towards the front of the pack. Something that is not familiar to me but I wanted to get out and not have to deal with passing folks and just let them pass me. My overall race strategy was to go out and hold a conservative pace because of the climbing to be done mid-race.

Race:

The "GUN" goes off (i.e., RD says "GO" as loud as he can) and we all head down the road to a gravel road that takes you through some horse pens before you hit the trail. I am glad I lined up in the front as I was able to get out in front and on the single track trails fairly quickly and settle into a nice pace. Once on the trails things settled in, I got hooked up with a group that was holding a pace I was comfortable running and we chatted a bit. The first aid station was at mile 5 and I decided to run through it as I had my hydration vest and a 20 oz bottle of fuels with me and I didn't need anything. I made the decision prior to the race to make my first stop at the second aid station (mile 10). We are moving and grooving, I am enjoying the scenery along the trails and before I know it the second aid station is up ahead. I was still feeling good and was good to go on my fuel so I grabbed a couple slices of watermelon, scarfed those down and was on my way. After this aid station I knew the day was about to get tough. The climb up Parajito Mountain was just around the corner and I was ready or so I thought. As you leave the second aid station its a gentle climb to the base of the Ski area. Sometime between the aid station and the base of the Ski area my stomach went sour and cramps were beginning to rear their ugly head. I started to take in more fluids to ward off the cramps and was hoping my stomach would settled down as my pace slowed due to the climbing. Well my stomach basically revolted and said "NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND, we need to go explore the woods away from the trail" and explore we did, luckily I had a baggie of TP in my vest and the situation was under control. I would just need to steal wipes from the next aid station as back up. From this point on in the race I was battling my body. I took it easy heading to Parajito and when I finally arrived at the base I looked up and went "FUUUUCK!!, time to get after it!" Nothing says fun like having to climb 3047 ft while trying not to shit yourself and fight off cramps but I am stubborn. Needless to say I power hiked up the mountain on single track trails all the while cursing and drinking as much as I could. I have never been so happy to see the top of a ski lift until that day. I get to the ski lift and think great climb over, HA think again you still have 500 ft to climb you dumb bastard (That's what I envisioned the RD saying to me). The good thing was the biggest climb was out of the way and I got to see the Valles Caldera from the top. Absolutely breathtaking in my opinion and worth all the 4 letter words I was spewing.

After getting to the top the run takes you across the mountain and then drops you down a Black Diamond ski run:

which then zig zags down to the ski lodge and aid station at 16.9 miles and the biggest station on the course. At this point in the race I am sucking down fluids and got my vest filled back up but with just water because nothing is helping my stomach at this point. My 20 oz bottle was filled with Heed which replaced Perpetuem  and I made the decision to limit my solid calorie intake because of my stomach. I mowed through watermelon and antacids and continued on the course with 1 final climb left. The rest of the race was a blur as I just moved forward as quickly as I could drinking to stay hydrated and determined to finish. The final climb was up Guaje Ridge which is a 2-track of rocks and because of the wildfire that occurred a couple summers ago the rest of the course you were exposed. The wildfire was a stand replacing fire so all that was around you was charred tree trucks and new saplings of pine and aspen trees, it is pretty dramatic scene.  I got to the top of Guaje Ridge and the trail takes around the ridge on a some nice rocky single track. Along the way as you get closer to the next aid station, the aid station captain had put out signs that started out with "You know your an Ultra Runner........." they were placed on the ground and were bright yellow with black lettering. The first 2 made me smirk and think of you all. Then the trail troll decided I wasn't having a bad enough day he decided to reach up and grab my toe. I was actually looking at one of those damn signs and not paying attention. Needless to say I am missing skin on my knee, elbow, and shoulder. I did a classic tuck and roll. Once again I cursed and was pissed, as if my day wasn't already bad enough. Finally got to the aid station grabbed some ginger chews and continued on with the Last Chance Salon aid station in mind (last one on the course). Made my way to the station slugged down some ginger ale, coke, watermelon, and continued on. At this point my vest was empty as I was drinking a lot of fluid which helped my cramps but not my stomach. I only filled up my bottle with water. As I was nearing the end I started to think about the horse pens and the wonderful smell feed lots can have on a warm sunny day. If we go through them I will puke my brains out, but we didn't have to. The trail took us up a short climb a couple tenths of a mile from the finish. As I rounded the corner defeated for the day my buddy who ran an awesome race and came in 11th was there to give me a big high five and my wife and daughter were there for support as well. As I finished my wife with concern in her voice says "Are you OK" all I could muster was "No I feel like SHIT" literally and figuratively. I found some shade sat down for a bit and let every thing soak in.

The Race puts on a huge New Mexican feast at the end and it smelled wonderful, however it did not taste as good as it smelled.

This was by far the toughest course I have run so far but after reflecting it's a really good course. I have my eyes set on redemption for next year and I waled away from the race with the knowledge that I can force my body through tough stretches and learned a lot about what to do and not do.

Stats are at the top and thanks for reading and I'll post more pictures on my facebook page.

Uh oh... now what?

Sooo envious, but sorry you had a bad day.  Deceptively challenging course--the dryness adds so much.  Congratulations on holding together--shame you couldn't enjoy the post race meal.  Post more pictures (1991 when we did a get out of the car and run for a while stop in that area)--beautiful contrast to where I run.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Way to tough it out and finish, great job! Congratulations!

I think the high altitutde and the desert dryness contribute a lot to the cramping and nausea issues, and perhaps some overheating. But you found a way to work with your limits and push through. That mountain, combined with the altitude, seems to be a beast!

Run for fun.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Good work out there.  How does this stack up with the Mt Taylor 50k if you don't mind my asking?  I'm over in Flagstaff and eyeing NM races since there aren't too many over here to pick from.

dpc3

Good work out there.  How does this stack up with the Mt Taylor 50k if you don't mind my asking?  I'm over in Flagstaff and eyeing NM races since there aren't too many over here to pick from.

No idea but we can find out together, I am thinking (95% sure) about running it this year. Looking at the course profile it looks like the climbing is not as intense but I can't give you an honest answer one way or another.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That sounded brutal.  Nice work toughing through it...from the stats at the top, it looks like not all were able to do so.  I gotta say...I think I would shy away from that elevation profile...yowsers.  Congrats on a successful race.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job.  Now  want to go skiing and.  Like the cup.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

BH Slogger

Great race report of a race I was glad to have finished and would like to forget. I signed up for the 50 mile as a last long training run for Black Hills 100 in a month. I was prepared for a tough course, but never having done one to such a degree, I was blind-sided. Both the elevation and crazy tough climbs did me in. I also suffered through hours of nausea and cramping. I couldn't eat and just tried to keep taking fluids the best I could, and I did force a small beer down at the Last Chance Saloon. I had to sit a few minutes after that one to keep it down but with two miles to go, I wasn't going to pass that up.

You can be proud that you stuck it out and finished the race. I finished in 14:21 and have no plans of doing that one again. Dead

BTW, I had decided after the race that was it for my Ultra days.... two days later however, I am planning my 100. Funny how that works.

Sandy-2

Great job, way to grunt through it.

I have friends who did it a few years ago and they still talk about that "damn" race.  They want do go back though, and drag me along...  someday.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Low_O2

Great job finishing under those conditions! That race is tough with all systems functioning, I can't imagine worrying about fertilizing the plant life along the way.... That's a huge bummer you had issues, I think you were probably ready to run a great race with the training you did. They put on great races, I was bummed I wasn't able to run the 50k this year. Now that you know what to expect you will nail it next year!