Trailer Trash

North Face 50K Report -- December 1, 2012 (Read 224 times)

Watoni

All,

Apologies for the late report, but I am still buried in work post-race and am doing my best.

The high-level summary is that it was a blast of a mudfest, and despite low miles and some issues early on, I just ran steady and did better than I ever could have expected.

Unlike the other 3 races I have started, where you just drive in, park, and get ready to run, the North Face Endurance Challenge is full of logistics due to the amount of people trying to get in the Marin Headlands and the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. Only the 50-mile participants could park on site, so I drove to Mill Valley, arriving at the shuttle stop at around 4:30 am, only to find out no shuttle was running until 5:45 am, so I could have slept in a bit. I went into the hotel that was hosting the shuttle, and spoke with some runner and volunteers. Everyone was a bit edgy since the course had been rerouted at the last minute, and it was still pouring rain. The volunteers noted that reports from the 50-mile race indicated it was quite windy and cold on the ridgeline. I planned to use my quite breathable cycling rain vest, arm warmers, and otherwise shorts and short sleeves.

When we arrived in the dark and started putting our drop bags for the finish in the trailer, we were all huddled there to stay out of the rain as long as possible. Given we were all shivering, I do not think people waited for their "wave" (3 waves three minutes apart) -- I was in wave 1 and busted at just after 7 am through the muddy grass and then out on the road for about half a mile toward the trail head.

Since we could not go into the Mt. Tam area, we started out by doing a 2 mile climb up the Bobcat trail (about 2 miles at 6.5%, very flat at the bottom then steeper). I headed onto the climb and then felt my insides rebeling as they have been doing since my surgery in late September -- so this segment should have been renamed the "Bear Run" and not Bobcat Run. Ironically, I set a PR on this segment according to Strava, having run it once or twice before in my life .... anywho, we then turned onto the ridgeline for another small climb, where i believe we saw the elite 50-milers for the first time, who were crushing it. We then headed down a steep descent off Rodeo Valley where you could somewhat avoid the deepest mudholdes, torrents of rushing water, etc. By the time were doing this descent for the third time, it would just be a mud field.

Heading back towards the intersection with Bobcat and Miwok, I headed up that climb (about a mile and a half at around 10%, but fairly steady) and once again had GI distress. I told myself I could make it over the climb and to the restrooms in Tennessee Valley, but at this point I was quite discouraged, feeling week, and wanting to bail less than 8 miles in. I did barely make it to that porta potty, and then headed back out past the aid station and up the much steeper Coastal trail and fire road. It was here I started yo-yoing with a woman who would end up taking the women's overall for the 50k (Kerrie Bruxvoort). I went a bit ahead on the climb, she passed me down the muddy stairs down to Pirate's Cove, I ran ahead for about 5 miles or so until I just faded at about mile 18.

Anyway, the next section was the most "fun." Killer mud through Pirate's Cove and a semblance of a view through the rain and mist. Hitting Coastal again, there was a wild a wooly steep descent past slipping and sliding folks going both up and down. Some of the elites who started two hours ahead were on their second loop or getting close, and some other 50-milers were walking as they lost traction. I ran and managed to stay upright with a bit of caution and headed into the Muir Beach aid station, where I saw some real ultrarunners who work at Strava handing out food and encouragement. I then looped back to tackle the climb back up Coastal, past the turn off to Pirate's Cove and up to a trail and pain I had not yet experienced. I was determined to run it despite the grade (10+% average but with the stair steps there are extended 15-20% sections) and the slippery mud. I was grateful here for the traction of my shoes, even though I could use a bit more shoe for 50k. I made it and then started to feel the downhills and slowly slipped and stumbled down to Tennessee Valley at mile 18 or so.

I then hit another 1.5-2 mile climb, sloshed through more mud, and then half ran half slide down Rodeo Valley for the second time. I had really slowed here and Kerrie took off. I was hurting, and struggling to keep going. We were still passing 50-milers in it for the long-haul, so I cheered them whenever I had a chance and told them to keep it going. Marathoners were also on this part of the course, looking fresh since it was their first loop. Most impressive were the 50-milers finishing up just as we were, so they were doing the 46 or so miles in two hours more than we were doing 30!  I then had to head back to within about 50 yards of the finish line, where it took all my resolve not to stop since I was about 500 yards from dry clothes and an end to the pounding that my joints were not quite ready for. Still, I headed back out to climb Bobcat again, run along the mud through the ridge and survive down Rodeo Valley. I ran (or shuffled) and kept it together. After hitting the bottom of the descent I picked up the pace and headed for home, shifting emphasis on muscles whenever it felt like I would cramp or seize up.

I hit the line in 4:30:37, which struck me as much quicker than I thought I would be going for a course with about 5500 feet of up and down in muddy conditions. Despite the mud the course was very fast and less steep and technical without the Mt. Tam sections. Anyway, after I had a changed into dry clothes, drank a complimentary Anchor Steam, shoveled in some food, cheered the women's 50-mile winner and other fellow runners and chatted with folks I knew (and some I just met), I headed to the buses.

When I got home and checked results it turned out I was 8th out of 307 finishers (about 350 total took the start) and I won the 36-45 age group for the men (the women's winner, Kerrie, who was in about five minutes before me is also in that age category). Honestly, I still cannot believe it, even taking into account that the best runners ran the 50-mile, of course. I would love nothing more than to able to run 50 miles, even if I would be 100th. Time is generally my goal, not placing, but this was sort of wild. I am not sure what I have learned, but I do want to build mileage so I can go longer.

toyger

Congrats on an 8th place finish and 1st in your AG! That's awesome. The course sounds tough but a lot of fun.

Jen

AT-runner

Tim

Great job on your AG winning run!  Sounds like a great day.  Thanks for the RR.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Awesome work Jeff!  Your the man and you will crush just about any running event you enter.  I'm sure you feel the same as I that this ain't no double century on our bikes.  Again great work and congrats.

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com

Watoni

Awesome work Jeff!  Your the man and you will crush just about any running event you enter.  I'm sure you feel the same as I that this ain't no double century on our bikes.  Again great work and congrats.

JB

Boy, running sure is not a double century! You can fake cycling fitness to a degree, but when the body is not ready for the running mileage, just forget it -- aerobic fitness will not get you through. Folks like Lace-up here, John,Harrier, LB2, Mandy, FTYC (who am I missing) etc. know what it takes to run real ultras (50 miles+).

Not to minimize cycling .... my Dolomites trip is something I am exceptionally proud of and where I suffered immensely, but it is only because 10 days of Giro mountain stages is what it takes to really push the envelope. That reminds me I need to post that video if I have not. The Cents Cols film of our trip is neat.

I am still in awe of those who ran the 50-mile, or who do 100ks, 100s, etc. Wow! 

Uh oh... now what?

Probably could have broken 4:30 if you hadn't been so busy

keeping mental notes of the day.  That's a lot of detail noted

while running that fast. 

Good story, good running, congratulations on... uh, 36-45?

That's a strange age bracket.

rgot

Congrats on winning your age group and coming in 8th! Great job under tough conditions. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, awesome race! 8th overall, and age-group win in a very strong age group are great accomplishments!

You are a very strong runner, and never cut down a 50k - it is a real ultra, too!

Run for fun.

Wandering Wally

Great job!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

runfastandie

You are completely downplaying the COMPLETE AND UTTER MISERY the weather was! It was horrific complete sheets of rain, side winds and a mess. I wouldn't have even made the drive. I can't believe you stood out their waiting for the start. I would have been in tears in the corner rocking back and forth!

I'm impressed by the AG but SUPER impressed you made if 50K in that crazy storm.

Andie

PS I'm trying to recruit you to do the woodside ramble 50k!!!! Dec 15 :-)  It will be a good recovery run!

Ultra Cowboy

Well done Watoni.  I heard it was a tough day weatherwise. that course is tough with moderate weather.  Had two friends who had Sunday's 1/2 marathon cancelled on them. 

Congrats on an AG win in truly difficult conditions.

WYBMADIITY

Save

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Congratulations !

I met a guy last summer at the Lost Sierra training run who has been a professional cyclist , he owns shop in Nevada City , he just started running  I was amazed at how fast and fit he is . He went on to place 9th at the Lost Sierra 50k , his first ultra . There must be some science behind how you guys can use that to your advantage on foot .

LB2

That is awesome, very impressive!!! Congratulations.

LB2

elbee

I was one of those 50 mile runners slip sliding around on Saturday. The first descent down Rodeo Valley the rain was pouring and coming in sideways, I could barely see the trail from the light of the headlamp, I'd already fallen (the first of many), nearly ran off the trail (it zigged, I zagged) and I was like "What the hell am I doing out here?"

The hardest thing for me was finishing that first loop and heading back out for round two knowing that the trails were going to be in even worse shape than before.

The biggest lesson I learned was that I can't run in the mud to save my life. I've done plenty of trail running in the rain but nothing prepared me for those conditions. It was bananas.