Trailer Trash

Photos of steep trails (Read 65 times)

sugnim

Have you ever noticed that whenever you try to take a photograph of a really steep trail, it always looks like a flat, easy path?  Does anyone know why this is and how you can take a photo of a steep trail that does the terrain justice?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good question!  One that I don't know the answer to.

This is some steep stuff on the Superior Hiking Trail.  I had to side step down it because it was so steep.  I couldn't run it.  I turned around to take this photo and it doesn't look like anything difficult at all.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

This was steep..really..

oh and yes..all the time.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

You need to get to the side of the trail so you can see the slope. Otherwise, you're just seeing line of sight.

Take a look at some of these hills to see the effect. Many of those are 20-30% slopes. some of the steps are close to 50+%, but those steps might not be those.

Somewhere in Matt Mahoney's website I thought he discussed this, but couldn't find it. But he's still got lots of good hills pictures you can look at - probably for days. Smile

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          XtremeTaper

It's a dimensional thing if you ask me. A picture does not show depth very well, so you need to be a skilled photographer or capture things at another angle. And yes, I have noticed the same thing with my photos!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

It's a dimensional thing if you ask me. A picture does not show depth very well, so you need to be a skilled photographer or capture things at another angle. And yes, I have noticed the same thing with my photos!

This is why.

LB2

sugnim

You need to get to the side of the trail so you can see the slope. Otherwise, you're just seeing line of sight.

Take a look at some of these hills to see the effect. Many of those are 20-30% slopes. some of the steps are close to 50+%, but those steps might not be those.

Thanks!

Ultra Cowboy

XT nailed it.

This was a steep nasty downhill section in the Marin Headlands and it looks plum gentle....

This was a treacherous trail in Wyoming.  The picture doesn't really do it justice.

Now if you look at the side hill it will give a little more perspective..

WYBMADIITY

Save