Trailer Trash

Trail Tuesday (Read 239 times)

sugnim

Good morning trailer trash.  I'll be headed out for a slow & dark 5 miles this evening after work.  My quads are still a little sore from Sunday, so I'm hoping a nice slow run will fix them right up.

QOTD:  Have you ever gotten lost while running?

I did this weekend.  Very stupid of me.  I started out running with a group of people I only know as acquaintances, and when we reached the top of the peak we were heading for, my bladder was ready to explode.  I couldn't believe no one in the group needed to find a pine tree at any point in our run.  So, I told them that instead of continuing down with them to the other side of the mountain, I'd head back down the way we came.  Dumb.  Dumb.  Dumb.  I came to a point in the trail where it separated into 4  possible paths, all covered with snow, and the snow was still coming down.  It was at that point that I realized how incredibly stupid I was, and that it was a distinct possibility that I could get stuck on a trail about 10 miles from my home.  I tried each of the trails for about a mile, and of course, I had to try all 4 of them before I got the right one.  I was very happy when I eventually came to a trail sign that I recognized.  When I got back to my car, I was frozen and tired, but pretty happy actually.  It turned out to be a great run, but due to my own stupidity, it could have been a very very bad run.  I will not do that again.

Birdwell

Morning folks! Got an hour in at the pool, followed by a little bit of weight training.

QOTD: Lost? Honestly, never. There have been plenty of times where I wasn't sure of my exact location. But, I always have known how to get back to where I started, or to some sort of prominent landmark. I consider myself very good at route finding, and being observant about my surroundings.

My definition of lost is not knowing where you are AND not knowing what direction to head in to find your way.

Morning!  I'll probably head out for 6-7 easy miles this evening.

qotd: never truly lost, but off course.  I frequently run with a friend who knows the Cougar Mtn. trail system really well and she's come up with a great 11-mile loop.  Tried to follow it last weekend when she wasn't with us and kept making the wrong turns.  We always knew how to get back to the car fortunately.

sugnim: that is pretty scary.  While you certainly take some responsibility, I'm surprised your friends didn't insist on waiting for you, even if they were just acquaintances.  We never leave anyone alone on the trails!

NorthernHarrier

Mornin',

A busy morning and then home for the afternoon while waiting for the cable guy. What fun. But I knew in advance so that's why I planned for this to be a rest day and I need it.  Weights and elliptical this afternoon in the cave.

QOTD--Never lost but I spent a few hours pretty confused in a wilderness area of upper Michigan during a late Oct. lake affect snowstorm. Even had a compass and map along. I enjoy that feeling myself and embrace it. It makes me feel alive, somewhat primal I guess. I've got a few good stories in the archives from a lifetime of hunting, backpacking, and canoe trips back in the day.  What happens when you're in really good shape and comfortable in the wilds is that you can just get yourself in a little worse predicaments at times. It's all good.

Birdwell

Sugnim, you must have edited your post while I was still posting.

That realy bites about your adventure this weekend. I have learned the hard way that no good ever comes from saying "go on, I'll catch up" or "go ahead, I'll just head back this way and meet you back at the car" or anything even remotely related to those two statements, while in any  trails or wilderness area.

I have literal scars to prove it.

I'm glad you found your way back.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I cashed in my "one time per week to stay in my warm comfy bed" ticket this morning.  There is always later tonight but more than likely tomorrow am.

QOTD: No - I have a good sense of direction so even a few times I ran aimlessly through the woods, I always had a sense of where I was - what direction my car was and so on.  I did get stuck one time though - Came across a section of trail that had major storm damage with large trees blown down.  I had to bushwack my way out and around - my other choice was to turn around and add 10 miles - on some days that might be ok but not that day.  It was interesting.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good morning all

I have a date w/ a 8 mile run in the hills this afternoon- snow is still here so it's guaranteed to be a workout

sugnim- you didn't happen to be at Blue Mtn by chance?  that trail "system" they have is like a mad spider web- I have to ignore all the numbers and just run by sense of direction (and often run a little further than I needed to because i made the wrong choice at a junction)

qotd: I've been "confused" more time than I can remember, but fortunately never truly lost

Most of my running is in very remote areas, most don't have cell phone coverage- I try and let someone know where, route and when I expect to be back- I broke that rule on New Years day and half way into a 13 mile loop got into an all out blizzard Shocked  definitely had a shot of adrenaline kick in, especially after hearing stories from old timers about folks perishing in the night going to the outhouse and not finding there way back!  Visibility was extremely poor and getting worse, fortunately I was able to keep going in the right direction and finally the storm started to let up  Needless to say next run I let someone know where I was headed Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Good morning all. Great runs this morning/staying in bed.

I did an easy 6 before work.

QOTD: All the time on trails. I'm really new to trail running so I get lost often.

Trail Monster

Morning trash! Have some long 5k paced intervals today. Will probably end up totaling 5-7 miles.

QOTD: When I first started trail running I ran on the trails in the park near where I lived. They were clearly blazed and very nice so I felt safe. What I didn't realize is that the one trail connects to another which then makes a big loop. I was running that big loop for at least an hour before I realized I needed to take the offshoot trail to get back to my car. And that is how I did my first double digit trail run!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

The pooch and I had a really nice 8 mile trail run this morning.  The weather was awesome.  It was clear, calm, and in the high 20's at the start.

QOTD: Not really lost but sometimes a bit confused.  A couple times I was about to take the wrong fork and my dog showed me the way Smile

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Just about to head out for something like 10+ miles in the sunshine! Yay!

sugnim: Hope the run will fix the legs!

Birdwell: If I was not so lazy, I could fit in a pool hour today when my kids have swim classes - but while the mind is willing, the flesh is just weak!

EDRW: Hope you'll have a nice run later!

Harrier: Aren't you with the cable company that guarantees the 2-hour appointment windows? On the other hand, waiting can be fun, with a beer on the side!

Jamie: Enjoy the sleep-in, you've earned it!

warden: Have fun in the snow!

Tmo: Nice morning miles!

Banshee: Sounds like a fun workout!

QOTD: While I am one of those people who effortlessly manage to get lost by car even with the navigation system on, I hardly ever have gotten lost on trails, hiking or running. However, I remember a run last year, when I lost the trail markers and got lost on the uphill. I found a way to the crest, then headed downhill in the direction where I knew I would hit a gravel road at some point, but I was not sure whether I would hit some cliffs before that. Fortunately, no cliffs, just wild bushwacking. Just about 100ft before I hit the road, I found the trail again. I was desperate because the sun was about to set soon, and getting lost there in the woods in the dark, even though I had a light with me, did not sound too good.

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Hi all,

had an easy 5 miles last night and a short run planned today with DS after work.

Qotd:  sometimes confused, but never truly lost.  on new trails, I usually carry a trail map in my pocket for reference.  Yes, I know this takes a bit of the 'exploration' factor out, but if you knew my wilderness risk management background, you will understand Big grin

Ultra Cowboy

Last night I ran from work.  My Boss mentioned he was going to go for a walk when he got home so I knew we might cross paths.  My calves were pretty tight and the run was not feeling easy by any means.  After about 3 miles and 1/2 way to the high point of my run, I met my boss and his wife as they were turning around at the end of the paved street. He mentioned to me this morning that I made an impression on his wife since I ran on into the county park in the dark.

Did 8.3 total with just about 2.0 on single track (which was slow in the dark).  It was kinda exciting keeping an eye out for park employees who might want to ticket me...

QOTD.  One time is memorable in particular.  The Directions said "turn DOWN Marsh trail" not right or left.  I turned left, and ended up adding 4 miles to a 9 mile run that was my longest run to that point in the last year.  It was real rough on the guy who was running with me.  9 miles was going to be tough on his level of fitness but 13 damn near killed him. (he had no water or fuel)

WYBMADIITY

Save

sugnim

Birdwell, to be fair, I was encouraged to stay with the group and was even offered a ride home for both my dog & I if needed.  It was my own stupidity & shyness at fault here.

mtwarden:  I was in the Mount Sentinel/Crazy Canyon area.  But you are right about the spiderweb of trails on Blue Mountain.

trailtromper:  You have a good dog.  Mine was with me, and I think she just thought we were out for a fun romp in the snow.  Plus, she's trained to run at my side or behind me, so even if she knew the way, she wouldn't have told me.

Scrapster

Afternoon, Trailers!

Really, really, really nice 7M run through the hoods by my kids' school after a morning in court and lunch mom duty.  Working from home this afternoon (woot!).  It is a sunny 35* in suburban Detroit, and I ran in capris and a LS shirt.  My kids asked to go snowshoeing this weekend, but given the forecast, I'm thinking we are going to be out of snow by the time Saturday rolls around.  LOL.

QOTD:  Lost?  Yep.  I am directionally-challenged, so am lost more often than I am certain of where I am.  I just try not to get so lost that I can't get un-lost.  Smile