Trailer Trash

Ribbon Falls at the Grand Canyon (Read 41 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

On Saturday 10/24, two friends and myself trekked to Ribbon Falls at the Grand Canyon.  When I first planned this trip there were about 5 more people who had committed to going.  Over the past few weeks one by one they all decided to drop out for various reasons so it left just the 3 of us.  Originally the goal was hiking only (no running) but with just the 3 of us and I knew very well the other 2 and their running ability.  We ended up running most of the downs (around  10 miles), primarily at the beginning because it was near 35 degrees and I was cold.  

Total miles 29
    Total elevation change: 13,743

While I have day hiked numerous times in the GC I had never been to Ribbon Falls as it about a mile off of the North Kaibab trail around 5 miles north of Phantom Ranch.  Twenty nine miles is certainly no walk in the park especially with the elevation change at the GC and both of my friends had never gone further than the marathon distance (flat road marathons).  I still felt confident with a relatively easy pace they could accomplish it.  They ended up doing very well and we all stayed together until the hike out at 3 mile rest house (3 miles from the top).  I waited for them (they were about 100 years behind me) and both came up to the rest house and sat down.  There was no way I was sitting at this point and both of them looked like burnt toast in the face.  I said, "See you on the flip side" and took off.  I really wanted to make sure I hit the trailhead before dark as I really didn't want to pull my light back out.  I finished at 5:45 PM, one friend at 6:00 and the other at 6:15.

For the ultra person who has done the distances but maybe isn't up for the complete Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim this is a good alternative.  Still a lot of miles and elevation change but it cuts out about 15 miles and 8,000 feet of elevation change  Ribbon Falls is simply amazing.  

You people have issues 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

the Grand Canyon rocks- no doubt about it!  it's definitely not the miles that gets most folks (although it contributes ), elevation is the crusher

It's been three years since my R2R2R and thinking it's getting close to doing again.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Thanks for sharing!  Interesting read and great photos.  Only have flown over the grand canyon, but hope to get out there in the next few years.

NHLA

Great pics.  Thanks for posting.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for posting. Did you go down and back BA, or did you use SK down and BA on the way back?  Agree, it's dangerous to sit, especially those last three miles up. Anyone use poles?

Looks like someone is doing a Benedict Dugger jumping picture. 

Ribbon Falls is a spectacular side trip. We were so hot in April that we diverted to the falls to cool off.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Thanks for posting. Did you go down and back BA, or did you use SK down and BA on the way back?  Agree, it's dangerous to sit, especially those last three miles up. Anyone use poles?

Looks like someone is doing a Benedict Dugger jumping picture. 

Ribbon Falls is a spectacular side trip. We were so hot in April that we diverted to the falls to cool off.

No, we didn't but I'm planning a 7 day backpacking trip and therefore I'm going to get me some.

Yep, I've seen that shot from Benedict too many times to not give it a go.

Down SK and backup BA.  SK was really torn up from the recent rains and mule trains and the lack of sun on the trails to dry things out.  BA was actually in really good shape.

You people have issues 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

What were the temps like in the canyon?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Yep, I've seen that shot from Benedict too many times to not give it a go.

Down SK and backup BA.  SK was really torn up from the recent rains and mule trains and the lack of sun on the trails to dry things out.  BA was actually in really good shape.

I took a jump shot pic somewhere just outside of Phantom and posted it on his FB page. His pictures are always much better than mine.

DW wants to go and isn't sure of R2R2R, so might do the same trip you did or maybe BA both ways. Phantom to Ribbon Falls is such a nice section where you really can run, so well worth making it that far.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

What were the temps like in the canyon?

Perfect

Cold to start at the south rim, 35 degrees and a little windy.

Inner canyon had a high in the mid 70s but lots of shade going to Ribbon Falls due to lower sun trajectory.

It would have been a perfect day for R2R2R and I did see a handful of those.

You people have issues 

muppy

Very nice, and awesome pictures!

Where you eating skittles that you have a rainbow coming out your throat?

LB2

That is an amazing place. I may start doing more things like that. Some of my best memories regarding running are not races at all. They are adventures I set out on with no real goal in mind beyond exploring an area on foot and getting from one place to another as quickly and efficiently as possible.

LB2

Daydreamer1

So many places to run, so little time.  Nice pictures. We're hoping to get out that way next fall, if not then in spring of 2017.

Sandy-2

Great 'run report' and photos, thanks for sharing.  I'd like to do a R2R2R someday.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thank you for sharing your adventure, and the wonderful pictures!

I wish I had hiked there when I hiked the GC many years ago. I was not aware at the time that Ribbon Falls are just a mile off the NK trail (talk about bad planning).

Maybe I'll do a R2R2R some day (with warden and Sandy?), and take the extra mile to the falls, too.

Run for fun.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Sweet run...a nice in between the standard rim to river to rim and the undertaking that is R2R2R.  I'll keep this one in mind for spring.