Trailer Trash

The Thursdaily (Read 37 times)

moonlightrunner

Good morning Trailers!

Got up oh so early today and ran 3.5 with The Pointer. It was not an epic run. Runs in the dark just don't thrill me much. I am hoping for a better and longer run later today.

qotd: For the folks in the north...do you run with snow shoes in the winter? Since the farmer's almanac promises my locality a cold and snowy winter, I plan on getting a pair. I am leaning toward a pair of Dion's...not the racing model...a more versatile model.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

The pooch and I had a nice 3.1 mile road run in the dark.  It was a foggy 47 F.

QOTD:  Yes if there is more than 8" or so of snow and it is not yet packed.  I use back country snowshoes rather than running specific ones.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Brian Runner

Thursday is track workout day, followed by a short road run after dark with the club.

QOTD: Have never used snow shoes before. I typically stick with my normal trail shoes but throw on some socks (I usually run without them) and then do my best to break a trail through the snow. The number of people running trails here in town is growing so hopefully I'll have more help with that this year.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Getting ready for a run in the sun. Gotta enjoy the weather while it lasts!

moonlight: At least, you had some nice company out there in the dark!

TT: Not foggy here. Where do you get the fog from?

Brian: My experience is that most people just stop running when the snow sets in and stays. I had to break lots of trails myself last year, too, but most of the time, I enjoyed it (and it was good strength training).

QOTD: I have snowshoes (backcountry hiking ones, not running specific) and use them when the snow gets deep. Fluffy or not does not matter, I use them in the heavy stuff as well. I sometimes hike fast in snowshoes, sometimes run with the microspikes. It's nice to have options!

Run for fun.

DigDug2

Quick 5 on the roads this a.m. before some early work meetings.  Planning 23 tomorrow afternoon - I've decided to try my long runs in the afternoon/evening, so I can just go to bed after and not be a tired, cranky person all day post-long run.

QOTD:  Never tried snowshoeing - looks like fun, might try this winter.  Curious about recommendations on brands/styles.

runtraildc

Morning!  got in 6 speedy-for-me miles last night- mostly roads and paved trail.  Hoping to get to yoga during lunch today.  It has been a while since I've seen this instructor, and she is my hands down favorite.  Same for everyone else.  It's usually packed with employees from the international media company from across the street.  I have to say, I don't think I'd want to do yoga with my colleagues.  That is why I am getting away...

qotd:  I don't usually run in snowshoes, but I do borrow my sister's when I am visiting to hike the woods (slowly).  We don't get enough snow, and when we do, I 'll stay away from the trails until they get packed down a bit.  Too many unseen roots and a bad ankle for powder running...

AT-runner

Tim

Heading out for 10 miles or so on the AT.  Was up early rescuing our (indoor) cat from under a crawl space.  She got out some time yesterday and we heard the meowing under out kitchen floor.  Fun way to start the day.

QOTD:  I've never tried them, but would like to get a pair.  In the winter I'll run on old logging roads or snowmobile trails that are packed down.  The AT gets foot traffic all year round, so I'll run there often as well.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

NorthernHarrier

T-storms this morning and after running in the pouring rain on Sunday it just isn't too appealing to do it again. Weights and elliptical in a couple minutes. I have some other things I need to get done so this works.

qotd--I think I(we) have 7 pairs of snowshoes here and at the shack.  I love bushwack snowshoeing--off trail and navigating into frozen waterfalls etc, in the backcountry. I have run with them and I have done 6 snowshoe races. I don't find that all that enjoyable personally. If the trails become too icy or too deep I run roads. I like to actually run.  Normally I slap on some Kahtoola micro-spikes and keep running trails. Otherwise I also do a lot of cross-country skiing to get my deep snow trail fix.

Sandy-2

I actually got up this morning.  5mi @ 5am.  It was only 78 deg. and a spec less humidity today.  Nice full moon too.

qotd: n/a.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

NorthernHarrier

I actually got up this morning.  5mi @ 5am.  It was only 78 deg. and a spec less humidity today.  Nice full moon too.

qotd: n/a.

LOL!   If I remember correctly back in the old days they used to have a 3 day snowshoe ultra type race in northern WI. called the Yukon Jack  National championship or something like that. The woman who won a couple times was from Texas and did all her training by running in sand wearing those webs. So there you go, you can join in the fun. Big grin

Of course with my memory I might have just dreamt all that.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

4 chilly miles (It was 40 this morning) under a very bright moon.

QOTD: I want to try some snowshoes at some point, but no plans so far.

Occasional Runner

Good morning!

I ran on the road this morning so I could get my legs turning over faster. I've been strictly trail running for a couple of weeks so I needed to see how speed felt. It felt good, so all is well there.

I've been taking it easy all week because I'm running in the National Trail Running Championship race this weekend and would actually like to do well. Then again...I have a 100 miler the following weekend....have to play all that by ear I guess.

QOTD: I wear my Inov8's in the winter because they have a more aggressive sole and I add a pair of Microspikes for good measure. It's a winning combination for winter running.

sugnim

Good morning all.  I put some fresh batteries in my headlamp & got out for a nicely lit 5 miles this morning under the full moon.  I even got out my capris since it was 42 degrees out.  It's almost time to switch to evening running.

QOTD:  I have snow shoes, but I don't run in them.  They aren't designed for running, so it would be way too cumbersome.  The LRS sells some running snow shoes for about $400, which seems kind of crazy to me.

XtremeTaper

Hey, I ran last night the first time since Superior. Just an easy untimed 4.5 mile trot with the gsp but it felt good to do something other than walking. I suspect I'll run a couple of more times this week.

QOTD: I've never run in snow shoes and don't have any plans to do so. Snow rarely lingers on the trails in this part of PA. A few years ago it did and it was sort of frustrating have 2-3 feet of snow in the woods. I didn't see the point in running through that stuff. I do love it though when the snow is out there in the winter on the trails at a proper level. It hides the rocks and makes falling more enjoyable as well.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Wandering Wally

Morning all.  I seem to have a cold that has settled into my chest so I took the day off.

QOTD - I have snow shoes, but don't run with them.  I take them out on the weekends for a hike.  I change my running routes to areas that are plowed, shoveled, cleared, packed, etc.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast