Trailer Trash

Road vs. Trail -- A Question (Read 427 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I start PT soon.  Could I run at the moment?  Sure.  I could run through the pain.  I have been since June.  But I'd rather take the time off and get this shit figured out so I'm not stuck with it forever.  It does suck big time.

Don't do it.  Take it from my experience in 2012 and still going on.  I kept running.  It didn't just go away.  Listen to the PT (as long as they know what they are talking about....) and do some research.  Everything my PT has told me, I went home and researched for myself.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Uh oh... now what?

This "real life" thing, is that like being a serious runner?

Our kids feel it is time for us to move closer to one of them. None of them seem to understand our response. We need water that moves from wind and tides; mountains that get their yearly coating of snow; and trees--great big huge old old old trees. We have to be able to get out there amongst them.

We track sunsets and moon phases. We learn about fogs, tides, plants, birds, animals, ships coming and going and where are their ports of call and which constellation is that and what made that sound (and is it carnivorous).

Kathy was down for almost seven months as she waited for surgery. I would park at the end of a dead end road where she could get out without hearing cars, It was the best we could do for that endless fall and winter. I would run loops. She would tell me how far away she could hear my foot steps.

When we walked across Spain there were times when we could come to a junction. One way, the easy way, was alongside a highway through the bottom of a valley. The other way was climbing and climbing along some dirt road or trail up to where we walked along the ridges that formed the valley. We always went up, once again in search of silence.

There is a solace in the solitude of open space that cannot be filled by how fast you can run down Main Street. There are countless places to pause with no way to track time as you cross our vanishing wildernesses that are simply there for the soul. No GPS, stop watch, or timing strip will ever take over your mind the way a morning when you hear the frost crunch as you pass does.

Sorry, bbbyyy... take the trails. There is a lifetime of trails out there.

Scrapster

Jeeze, John.  I sure have missed you.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thank you, John, for coming up with words for what I have been feeling.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

One plus what John said...beautifully put.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Just glad I don't have to really choose.  But right now I'd take the running.. then sneak on to the trails when the Scrapster and MM aren't looking.  I'd hate to have to deal with the wooden spoon...  but then again... Shocked

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Trails.

John gave a nice summary. I've been a trail user since I was a kid and was a vegetation ecologist for many years. I need to be out there - even if the "run" became a walk on ice, like today. Trails have always been there for me, and all my volunteer work is for trails. I enjoy running - even on roads occasionally - but not enough to give up the trees and the moose tracks and the quiet for ever.

I've had times when I couldn't run, but when I had surgery a few years ago that affected my stability for a couple weeks. I struggled to even walk on uneven surfaces like a trail (vs tm or road), it really scared me. Being able to walk through the woods was something I'd always taken for granted.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Uh oh... now what?

Jeeze, John.  I sure have missed you.

Hi Scrapster, is good to see you again  Habbynuyer.   Uh oh... how do I do multiple quotes?  Hmmm...

Thank you, John, for coming up with words for what I have been feeling.

This might work.  Hi Mandy?  I was just watching the sunset you had already enjoyed.

And now, without knowing if it will work.  Hi ~QofN, thank you.    .......................................... pushing Post ... click...

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm a long time hiker, backpacker, snowshoer and x-country skier, but very new to running.  Trail running was a very natural extension of all things I already like doing, in the places I like doing them.  I'd never give up the joy the mountains and prairies bring; no matter how fast or successful I was running on roads.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

RabbitChaser

Since I've been unable to run for a short time now, and have been unable to access some trails, I would definitely take trails! Let me hike a trail with my camera and I'll be completely happy. Plus, I'd be able to hike much longer than I'd be able to run.

nc tam

Trails.  For reasons already stated by folks more eloquent than I.

Weegee

Trails for sure.  Running is hard.

Irish Luck

+2

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

aplodder

Susan

Roads, but where I live, there is very little traffic and lots of wildlife to see.  Last night, I watched a beautiful sunset from a road lined by forests and snow-covered fields and had a herd of deer cross in front of me. I frequently see turkeys and other birds (once had an encounter with a pissed off ruffed grouse).   It's sort of the best of both worlds.  I fall on trails. The distance runner's shuffle doesn't work well on rocks and roots.   I'm working on that, but given the choice, I love my roads.

I hope you're back up and running soon, Mandy.

I need this...

never give up elevation until you have to