Trailer Trash

Tight shoulders (Read 39 times)

DigDug2

I've noticed serious tightness and sharp pain in my shoulders (trapezius) on my long runs.  I probably have a relatively stiff arm carriage when I run generally, and running with a hydration pack and a bottle probably exacerbates that.  I'm wondering if others have dealt with this and whether there are any recommendations for (i) how to avoid and (ii) how to address once it starts (mid-run stretches/exercises).  I'm planning some long (for me) runs this fall and don't want my shoulders to be an issue - I have enough to worry about with my legs.

Uh oh... now what?

Three books with references to relaxing...

From page 12 of Run Gently Out There:

"The Part-Time Runner by Reg Harris was one of my first running books. Harris addresses the need for relaxation—thoughts that have stuck with me more than any other part of his book. The tortures of finding the secret diet vary with each of us, the number of miles might be set in the mind but not in the bones, but relaxation can be taught to anyone. If we can find a way to give the mind a chance to recover, even though miles from the end, we might run better for those remaining miles. For me this extends to needing an easy day each week and an easy week on some regular cycle."

Also: "the elements of effort: REFLECTIONS ON THE ART AND SCIENCE OF RUNNING" John Jerome

Birdwell

I get the same thing. I've tried stretching, massage and weight training.

I am going to try yoga next (because it's free at work).

LB2

As John references, you really need to relax. I used to have the same problem; then, I didn't. Now, I do again at times. I know how to fix it, but it is often not something you are aware of until you feel it. Then, it is too late. Mine comes from a tendency to lift my shoulders, and it is often when I am wearing a hydration pack but not always. I try to focus on relaxing, really thinking about what I am doing when I am running.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have this tightness only when I run with a pack plus a bottle in the front pocket. I carry the bottle on one side only, and this is the side that is much more affected by the tightness. Seems to be a balance problem.

No tightness when I run with 1 or 2 handhelds.

I try to stretch mid-run, e.g. stand with feet apart about shoulder-width, then bend over and stretch the arm across my front to relax the shoulder. Massaging in the evening also helps, and "arthritis" cremes.

Run for fun.

DigDug2

Thanks for all the tips - will try to relax and report back.

NorthernHarrier

Nothing worse than telling a guy "just relax man, just relax".  

Two things I'll offer-- I know some here seem to be against stretching and some don't need to but I really need a regular routine starting with the core then legs and upper body. I don't need a lot but I do need it. Everything starts with the core so I do a number of core strengthening exercises then on to flexibility.

The other thing--when we were kids pretending to be runners around the neighborhood one of the fathers was a cross-country coach at one of Madison's schools and he gave us a tip to help. When running hard take your thumb and index finger and just ever so lightly hold them together. Just focus on barely touching them. Whether it really does anything or just gives gets your mind to focus I don't know. I just do it instinctively now, even this morning after running hard as I was trying to keep the effort up on the way home I found myself doing it.

LB2

Nothing worse than telling a guy "just relax man, just relax".  

Good point...

LB2