Trailer Trash

Sloppy Saturdailies (Read 38 times)

Daydreamer1

I forget where you told me you live but I do remember you work in Harrisburg.  There are some great trails with killer hills (to get you ready for HynerSmile) in north Harrisburg in a state game lands area.  These are trails that connect to the AT off of RT 325.  I access them from Fishing Creek Valley Rd.  This was the area I did today.  I ran/hiked a bit over 17 miles with (3) large climbs and some great downhills.

I plan on getting out there a few more times before Hyner (I am not fully committed yet but today was a good sign).  Let me know if you want to meet up sometime for a run there or if you want info about the trails.  Lots of Hyner type hills (1000 ft gain in a mile type deal).

I live about 30 miles noth of Dauphin so getting down there isn't too hard. I've heard there are some really nice trails down there. As far as getting together for a run that would be nice. The main problem is that I end up working almost every weekend since I'm taking some college courses during the week. I haven't gotten my March schedule yet so I don't know how that is going to look.

I was wondering if you were going to sign up for Hyner. I didn't see that FTYC signed up either. I was hoping someone else would sign up so that there are people to carry my carcass out when I cramp up. Big grin

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I live about 30 miles noth of Dauphin so getting down there isn't too hard. I've heard there are some really nice trails down there. As far as getting together for a run that would be nice. The main problem is that I end up working almost every weekend since I'm taking some college courses during the week. I haven't gotten my March schedule yet so I don't know how that is going to look.

I was wondering if you were going to sign up for Hyner. I didn't see that FTYC signed up either. I was hoping someone else would sign up so that there are people to carry my carcass out when I cramp up. Big grin

I am still "evaluating" my injury status.  I have been hesitant to sign up just yet.  The RD said he didn't think the 50k would fill up (they increased the cap size to 200 this year for that with no transfers to the 25k).  So I still have time but I will make my decision before March 1st.  After today's run thingy, I am much more confident about it.  Couch will sign up.  She is just procrastinating.

Let me know when you have your March schedule.  Unfortunately Saturdays are my only days for long runs - between work monday - friday, church on sundays and kids stuff, I am lucky to get out for any long runs.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Sandy, sorry to hear about her horse.  Hopefully she still had a great time and gained some experience.  Way to go Team USA.

I noticed the horse is riding in the soft sand and not on the packed sand of the "road".  Soft sand has to be trouble for a horse not used to that surface.  Is that why DD's horse was limping?  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

AT, actually the "trail" for the horses was nicely packed sand.  They scrape the sand with dozers so it gets down to the hard stuff.  They make 5 or 6 loops in the desert for their races.  The parts on the side where 4x4's can go is really soft in places and it gets crazy trying to get through sometimes, the spot where I took the 2nd photo looks like one of the hard pack areas though.

You never know why the horses start going lame, they can step on a rock (not in this race though), or land wrong, have a sore muscle, be tired, etc. but the Vets watch them trot for 200 feet and if they see a limp they pull them.  In this case it was a very prestigious race and they were judging very carefully, her horse just had a little pattern of a very slight limp, but I guess it was just enough though.

She had a great time over here none the less.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

After a crazy work week, got in just over a HM on the trails today. Still rolled my weak ankle once, but not badly. Still looking for the right shoes for a 50k+ run.

QOTD: Depends on the distance, I think. I am fortunate enough to have won my age group twice out of four starts, once in my "local" trail half marathon (my first race) and the odd 36-45 age group at this year's North Face 50k in Marin. The second was far more satisfying since I ran hard and everything fell into place. With the limited training I can do with a demanding job and a young family, it has to.

That being said, I would prefer a 9:00-9:30 finish at the Lake Sonoma 50 even though I would be way back in the standings, or getting a buckle at Leadville

Ultra Cowboy

Sandy, thanks for the update on your Daughters endurance race.  Will she stay overseas for some other events?  Is the horse coming back to the states?  Will it have to be in Quarantine?

WYBMADIITY

Save