Trailer Trash

Tuesdaily (Read 35 times)

DigDug2

Morning all,

6.7 this a.m. on road/rail trail/real trail.  About 60 degrees at sunrise - wonderful running weather.

QOTD:  how do you know when it's time to retire your shoes?  When they're physically/visibly trashed?  How can you tell when the cushioning or less visible features are shot?

p.s.  Here's a link to some video of Ben Nephew at this past weekend's Escarpment Trail Run - this is a notoriously difficult 30K race with tons of climbing, which is apparent from the video:  http://vimeo.com/71262280

NorthernHarrier

I love being a bum. Big grin What to do today, hmmm, I guess whatever I want to. Wink  The future, who knows,  maybe a job at McDonalds, I hear they are giving training to their employees on how to live on substandard wages. Would you like to super-size that order??

Was gonna run long today but I'm pushing that to Thursday. Just a quicker paced 10k road run today and then biking tonight.

QOTD-- I date my shoes with a sharpie under the insole as a guideline and then it is just feel for me. Usually when I retire a pair they still look fine. No set miles as each brand is different and how I've used them.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Postponed my morning run in favor of running with DS later. We'll go for a recently discovered trail that connects to the rail-to-trail, so it's going to be rather flat, but fun.

DD2: Nice morning run!

Harrier: MaxDonaldo sounds good. I hear the work environment is great there... Tight lips

When I visited a McDax recently with my kids (the boys love the playground, so we always just get a soda there - free refills!), I realized I could never work there. Too stressful, seriously. Nice coworkers, though, if you're the type who can stomach them. And then the manager, running in between them every now and then, and bark at them...  I'd rather run wearing an old shirt, if I'd have to save money - wait, I'm doing that already...

QOTD: I don't know. I change shoes when they start to hurt my feet, usually every year, or around 1,000 miles. I just discovered that my old road shoes, which I had already taken out of the rotation, are still good. Maybe it was my feet that were the cause of the pain (just can't get new feet, I know...). So I tend to give even a retired pair a second chance some time later, and then decide.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Good Morning,

Digdug I am right there with you - this weather recently on the east coast is outstanding.  I can get used to this but I am sure it will not last.  I got in 5.5 miles early on trails.  I felt like I could have run for a long time.  Too bad I have to work.  NortheernHarrier on the other hand is living large.  Enjoy it!

QOTD: I track the mileage but I am not sure what threshold I should use.  I try and go by feel.  Appearance doesn't mean much.  I still have a pair of Salomon's that look horrible but still have some miles in them.  I have had a tendency to maybe get too many miles out of my shoes but still learning to go by "feel".  Having said that, I don't think we need to change shoes for every little ache and pain.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

It my actual 40th birthday today, so I was hoping for a run (got into to work at around 6am). Took a short spin on the bike last night to loosen up the legs ...

QOTD: I generally can tell when the cushioning is shot. Normally there are also rips in the shoe or punctures in the rock plate.

Chnaiur

Doing three miles before weights later today.

QOTD: Usually too late. ;-) I'm pretty bad at retiring shoes, and usually only think about it after my feet start hurting.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

NorthernHarrier

I probably should learn how to write things a little better. I certainly don't want to disrespect anyone working at McD's  and there is no dishonor in working any honest job. I was more alluding to the fact that the CEO of McD's is pulling a package worth about $14 million annually and yet a twenty year employee working in one of their "restaurants" is making $8.50 an hour. If you believe in trickle down economics could you please open the faucet just a little.

Couch--1000 miles on a pair is unreal.

muppy

17.5 at blue marsh lake this morning,was 58* and beautiful when I started.

Now I'm off to Philadelphia for a few days, going to the Phillies game tonight, after losing 8 in a row chances are pretty good for a win, i hope!

Happy Birthday Watoni!

QOTD I keep track of miles on my shoes, but the back corners wear out pretty quick due to bad running form and being about 230 pounds. I get about 300-350 miles from a pair.

Hi all,

I got in 4 shakeout/ recovery miles yesterday that worked well after my beach frisbee tournament this weekend. The game I played, however, did not feel great. I ended up tweaking my groin a bit, so I'm taking the day off, and maybe tomorrow.

QOTD: I usually get 300-400 miles on mine.  I tried to keep track but failed, so I just go by the feel and the tread wear.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'll do 7 today after work

QOTD:  I'm 2 years deep into running and have yet to retire a pair of shoes (740 on my oldest pair).  I did have to send a bunch of pairs of New Balances that were wrecked at ~100 miles (MT1010), but nothing has been retired due to age.

**Ask me about streaking**

Low_O2

Hello all!

I'll probably head out for a few easy miles tonight to see how things are recovering after my race. Took two days off

and everything seems to be in one piece, just a tad sore so we'll see how it goes. Hoping to get a chance to finish my race report as well.

Watoni- Happy Birthday, hope it's a good one!

QOTD: My trail shoes are usually retired when the upper blows out, that is usually the limiting factor for me. Have a pair of road shoes that still look decent, but seem to be toast in the cushion department so will probably have to replace them one of these days.

Snowdenrun

Morning!

Ran and east 5 on the trail yesterday. Probably no running today. I just took the course map for the race and broke it down into manageable pieces. The course changes from sidewalk to flat trail, to sidewalk, to semi-technical single track, to D-1 grave,l to chunky gravel/rocks, to sidewalk, then repeat. I figured out a couple different pace numbers ranging from 4:30 down to 3:45 finish times. That's probably all the "planning" I'll do.

QOTD: Generally when there are large holes or the tread is non existent.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Watoni: Happy Birthday!

Harrier: No disrespect for anyone working at McD. The lower-level employees that I was referring to certainly are of the tough type, and I don't expect too much sophistication there. While they are able to deal with a manager and a working environment that are just cruel, I can't. That's what I meant.

But the CEO job sounds a bit better...

Heading out for my miles, looks like it's going to rain soon.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Happy Birthday Watoni !!!!

Day 2 of my rest period.  The hip is feeling much better today and I haven't taken any "Vitamin I".  I'm going to force myself not to run again until Thursday.

Big excitement here with helping our DD pack her "kit".  Basically she had to stuff her gear into a small pack that couldn't weigh more than 11 pounds.  That included; clothes, jacket, sleeping bag (when rolled up it is the size of a coke can), gels, beef jerky, spare batteries, lights, etc.  enough for anywhere between 7 to 12 days (about 700 miles) of horse racing across Mongolia.  They do give them some sort of food, water and a Yurt to sleep in unless she doesn't get to one before the mandatory 8:30pm "stop" time each night.  She is now in Ulaanbaatar and very excited!!!!!!  She will meet up with the race people for 3 days of "orientation" and then the actual race starts on Sunday.  More info here.

qotd:  First sign are holes or rips in the upper then after a while I'll look at the tread.  Sometimes they'll get dried out as well, but the biggest indicator is when I start getting little niggles in my knee or hip.  (My current hip issue is either doing too many vertical ups and downs in Colorado recently or warn out shoes.  I've gotten new shoes since.)

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Daydreamer1

First real day back from my travels. Note I didn't say a vacation, because it was the most stressful trip I've ever taken. But anyway, I was hoping to get in some running today but that won't happen for a variety of reasons. Guess I'll have to wait until it gets blistering hot again.

On the McDonalds subject. DS worked for them for a short time this past winter while at college. He didn't mind the work or the stress, but found out that there is a lot of drama with the management. Also they have no problems abusing the employees. Still he said he would work for that particular store again if he needed a short term job. If I was their CEO I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with the way they pay the employees. But then I guess I have a conscience.

QOTD: I retire them when they either hurt my feet or are falling apart. Haven't retired too many running shoes yet since I haven't been running very long. I track the mileage on all my shoes and start paying attention to their overall condition when I get to 450-500 miles.