Trailer Trash

Thunder-y Thursday (Read 30 times)

Morning all,

Skies are looking ominous in Philadelphia (turns out it's NOT always sunny....) Today is a SRD from running, but I'm heading to the gym for some light cardio on the elliptical later.

QOTD: Tapering. Do you do it? Does it make you go crazy?   I am tapering now and I hate it. Moody, bloated, I feel like I have PMS all the time when I'm tapering (Sorry for the TMI).  I usually try to taper 3 weeks for marathons or longer.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

Heading out for a nice loop in the drizzle soon. Warm enough for shorts, that makes the rain much more bearable.

T&C: Hope the sun will shine through soon again for that "blue skies" feel!

QOTD: I taper only for races longer than HM distance. Usually just 3 days of no running for the short races below 50k, two weeks of shorter, but still hard runs plus 3 days off before 50k. For the 50M, it depends on whether the course has lots of elevation, or whether it is more gentle, and what I have done before. If I have done an ultra within 4 or 5 weeks before the 50M, I'll take just 1 or 2 weeks of tapering (the remaining time is recovery from the race), if it is months of no significant race before, I'll do a 2-week taper. 3 taper weeks planned before my first 100M.

It does drive me crazy to run just short runs, I miss the "alone" time on the trails, but as I still run hard on selected runs, I get to burn off some of the surplus energy nonetheless.

Run for fun.

The pooch and I had another great 8 mile trail run in the haze.

QOTD: I did when I used to race and probably will again if I ever get back into racing.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning on this wet Thursday in the east.  5 miles in this morning including a bit of inadvertent speed work in the middle when I needed to sprint to the port-a-potty.  Amazing how fast I can be when I need to be.

QOTD: It's been a while since I had a purposeful taper.  The last three races (in the last year) I tapered mainly cuz I was nursing injuries.  Prior to that, I did taper but nothing scientific about it for me.  I just made sure I wasn't pushing big mileage the week of the race and no super LRs the week prior.  I ran Stone Mill 50 in 2011 and had run a 32 mile race 2 weeks prior.  Not sure that was so smart for me.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Just returned from HILLY miles in the Wasatch. Our weather here has been absolutely perfect for running the trails. I feel grateful for my opportunity to be living and running where I do.

Side note...My company released a memo on Friday stating that there would be a permanent BAN on travel in an effort to save operating costs. I was pretty pleased because I would like to stay home for a while. I got a call yesterday saying I needed to book a trip to Philly for meetings. WTF?!?! They're playing with my emotions! I remember I once enjoyed running and living in Philly, but now that we're here, I DREAD going back there for work.

QOTD: I don't really plan a taper but I do whatever I need to do to keep my legs feeling strong and prepared for whatever I have coming up.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Good morning group,

I ended up doing nothing yesterday, which is no biggie because I had GF's Bday scheduled as a rest day in January Smile.  She will be out celebrating with coworkers after work this evening so I will have some extra time today.  I'm thinking about 10-12 (probably rainy) and a body weight routine.  It's nice to be able to get my workouts in without affecting her schedule...for both of us.

QOTD: I am very cautious about screwing up races by trying to do too much immediately beforehand.  One thing that stuck with me from reading Hanson's marathon book was that it takes 10 days for any workout to take effect.  I take it easy for those 10 days regardless of distance (5k - 50k...10 days was fine for the 50k, probably overkill for a 5k, but if I'm shelling out money I'm not taking chances).  I don't really get taper madness I don't think...in fact I probably enjoy the taper too much.  For me, taper time is about re-connecting with my love for running and I really try to enjoy myself on the shorter/less intense runs...forget about pace, forget about mileage goals, switch the watch to "time of day" and just take it easy and enjoy.

**Ask me about streaking**

dpc3

URD for me, my legs and body as a whole have been feeling sluggish lately and I have a big 3 days coming up for me.

Fri: 25

Sat: 10

Sun: 10

Have a wonderful day everyone.

QOTD: I am going to taper a bit before jemez with this week being my last high mileage week. I'd like my legs to be a fresh for this run as there is estimated 10k of gain. I think it might drive me nuts we shall see.

DigDug2

Stationary biking yesterday and today - sore ribs, trying to avoid running but stay in shape.  I'm new to this - any favorite stationary bike workouts?

QOTD:  I take it easy a couple of days before and don't run the day before.  I love tapering - I feel refreshed and "springy" after a couple of easy/non-running days.

Occasional Runner

Stationary biking yesterday and today - sore ribs, trying to avoid running but stay in shape.  I'm new to this - any favorite stationary bike workouts?

I have a really nice spin bike at home and it's equipped with a cyclometer so I can measure distance, speed, etc. My favorite workout is a 3 mile warmup at an easy pace, then I sprint for 1/4 mile at max effort and then go easy for 3/4 mile and recover. I repeat this 15 miles and finish with a 2 mile cool down at an easy pace. It's a solid 20 mile workout.

XT day. Start running again on Saturday. Can't wait, my legs feel rested and strong.

qotd: usually two weeks. Nothing special.

Watoni

QOTD:  I take it easy a couple of days before and don't run the day before.  I love tapering - I feel refreshed and "springy" after a couple of easy/non-running days.

When I had a real trainer (Cardgirus with a magnetic brake that was so smooth it was like cycling outdoors), I used to program in the Gavia Pass in Italy and go for it. I would recommend 2X20s. Warm up ten minutes easy, then 20 minutes tempo at 75-85 rpm, then 5 minutes easy, 20 minutes tempo, 5 minute cool down.

If I don't run today it is going to get ugly around here Wink

Sandy-2

5 miles before work today.  Kinda slow and easy.  My legs were toast from an active week.   Looking forward to tomorrow's SRD already.

qotd:  I usually do a two week taper.

tbd.

Chnaiur

Still trying to decide if I will be reasonable or passionate. My heel is better, but still a little bit sore. If reasonable, an 8 mile jog. If passionate, a 15 mile run along the coast.

QOTD: its been two years since I raced. For my upcoming race in August, I'm trying to make myself take it easy. So likely will just take 2-3 days off. If I can't control myself and decide to try to go fast, I will take 2 weeks with only light jogs.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

8.5 fast and easy miles on the rail to trail path. I lucked out on the weather, the drizzling stopped just when I started, and toward the end, the sun peeked out at times. Just then it warmed up, and it was 65 deg at 100% humidity when I finished - felt like a steam sauna.

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

9 miles this afternoon, all trail, in 1:40. Found 1,900ft of elevation gain and "ran" a PR of 6:14 up the power line. Rain held off, except for a few drops.

QOTD: Yeah, I taper. I usually don't go crazy from it as I have a habit of training to the point where the fun it temporarily gone or the body is begging for the rest. A couple of weeks of light effort usually gets me back in the mood to crank.