Trailer Trash

Intimidated at the thought of signing up for a trail race (Read 78 times)

AT-runner

Tim

When I first started reading your post I thought you were a troll trying to get a rise outta lace_up !!!   LOL.  

Let us know how it goes.

My thoughts exactly.

oc mom - Go race and have fun.  Don't worry about where you finish, just enjoy the trail and you'll be fine.  As you will find out, most of the trail folks were at one time roadies, so we all had to start somewhere.  Newbies are always welcome, and yes, now you have to post a report about your run.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jonferg67

Endless trails

This is an indication of how seriously we take our sport.

http://www.ultrunr.com/quiz.html

I was a road runner before I switched to trails, trail runners are waaaay less serious.

(just don't ask a trail runner about mud runs, we get serious about the distinction between

them and trail running). If you can hook up with Inside Trail Races I know they have a few
      in SoCal, but most are 
      in NorCal. If you search ultrasignup.com you can look for specific
      distance races in 
      your area. Enjoy.

dpc3

I was a road runner before I switched to trails, trail runners are waaaay less serious.

(just don't ask a trail runner about mud runs, we get serious about the distinction between

them and trail running). If you can hook up with Inside Trail Races I know they have a few
        in SoCal, but most are 
        in NorCal. If you search ultrasignup.com you can look for specific
        distance races in 
        your area. Enjoy.

Now you're just asking for it!

Oh and if you have a sarcastic bone in your body this is the place to be.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Now you're just asking for it!

Oh and if you have a sarcastic bone in your body this is the place to be.

Now let's not cross the line here.  There is no sarchasm in trail running.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Will Crossfit get me in good enough shape to do my mud run?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just a few observations on the topic....

Road runners expect (DEMAND) that a marathon course be 26.2 miles. Exactly!

Trail runners consider it close enough if the course is within 1 or 2 miles of the marathon distance.

Road runners warm up and stretch before a race.

Trail runners put their beer on ice before a race.

Road runners time their spacing between gels.

Trail runners might carry an entire burrito down the trail and eat as he goes.

Road runners use portable toilets.

Trail runners see the outdoors as their personal toilet and modesty is never an issue.

Road runners will nudge (push) you out of the way.

Trail runners will stop to help you up if you fall.

All true, except maybe for the last one. I remember Kelly at least twice mentioning in his RR's that he was thinking of pushing some slower runners in front of him over the cliffs...

But, to reassure oc mom, I have read only one newspaper report on a guy falling off a trail to his death (sadly a true story on the Western States (?) trail), and Kelly was in South Africa at the time!

Run for fun.

As a recent convert to trail running/racing (this year) I have no desire to go back to road races. Unfortunately, a lot of my running is on the road these days due to my work schedule, but I'd rather be on the trails any day.

This is definitely the best place to get info on trail running/ racing, especially as a newer trail runner.

dpc3

Will Crossfit get me in good enough shape to do my mud run?

No but it will make you EXTREME DUDE!

Occasional Runner

"All true, except maybe for the last one. I remember Kelly at least twice mentioning in his RR's that he was thinking of pushing some slower runners in front of him over the cliffs..."

There was probably a lot more to it than running slow. But for the record, I have never actually followed through with it yet.

I got shoved by a runner at the American River 50, but despite what they say, it's not really a trail race.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Just a few observations on the topic....

Road runners expect (DEMAND) that a marathon course be 26.2 miles. Exactly!

Trail runners consider it close enough if the course is within 1 or 2 miles of the marathon distance.

Road runners warm up and stretch before a race.

Trail runners put their beer on ice before a race.

Road runners time their spacing between gels.

Trail runners might carry an entire burrito down the trail and eat as he goes.

Road runners use portable toilets.

Trail runners see the outdoors as their personal toilet and modesty is never an issue.

Road runners will nudge (push) you out of the way.

Trail runners will stop to help you up if you fall.

Road Runners keep running when a bomb goes off.

Trail runners stop to get a better look at the ___________________ (cool flower, deer, turkey, tree, cloud formation, etc.  you fill in the blank).

OC Mom  didn't you use to post with us on RW?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

Well I'm a kinder, gentler trail runner MOST of the time. However I do remember in a 50k once as a middle of the packer that I put a hard shoulder into a knucklehead wearing ear buds with music so loud I could hear it and I called out to him 3x for the trail. It was actually quite satisfying knocking him into the shrubbery.  I guess at that point I should have used proper trail etiquette and helped him up. Big grin

Occasional Runner

Well I'm a kinder, gentler trail runner MOST of the time. However I do remember in a 50k once as a middle of the packer that I put a hard shoulder into a knucklehead wearing ear buds with music so loud I could hear it and I called out to him 3x for the trail. It was actually quite satisfying knocking him into the shrubbery.  I guess at that point I should have used proper trail etiquette and helped him up. Big grin

You have failed to recognize he was actually a road runner pretending to be a trail runner. You were well within your rights.

Brilliant

When I first started reading your post I thought you were a troll trying to get a rise outta lace_up !!!   LOL.  Sorry.  ..

No, I promise not trolling! Apparently just clueless...

Brilliant

OC Mom  didn't you use to post with us on RW?

I joined RW about 18 months ago but didn't post very much, and when I did it was mostly in Beginners & Women's forums.  I might have lurked a bit in the trail forum (that's probably how I found you here) but don't think I ever posted.

Occasional Runner

No, I promise not trolling! Apparently just clueless...

Well...don't listen to these assholes. I'm super nice. I just get fucked with because I say the shit that everybody else is thinking. I'm not running for political office.