Trailer Trash

Pine Creek Challenge 100k (Race Report) (Read 37 times)

Brian Runner

http://www.briankunkle.com/2014/09/pine-creek-challenge-100k-race-report.html

Took me 7 days to pull together a race report. Took some time to wrap my head around it, plus I got side tracked by two beer reviews and a report on a 10k race this morning, hehe. Excuse any typographical errors, I haven’t actually taken the time to reread it yet.

Occasional Runner

Congratulations again! I enjoyed the RR.

Brian Runner

Thanks.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job and congratulations, Brian.  I don't know if I'd like that race since I hate running on the C&O, but I hear the scenery is spectacular.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Thanks for posting. When I first saw this race I said I'd never do it. Too flat. Now I'm having second thoughts. I tend to develop stomach issues after 20-25 miles, unless I'm running a flatter, easier course so This one might be a good fit for me.

I found it interesting that you use both Hammer gel and Tailwind. I have to admit that I don't know much about Tailwind but if I remember correctly they utilize more simple carbs, while Hammer goes more with complex carbs and takes a dim view of the simple carb route to fueling. At least that's my understanding.

Brian Runner

Nice job and congratulations, Brian.  I don't know if I'd like that race since I hate running on the C&O, but I hear the scenery is spectacular.

The scenery keeps things interesting on this course. Never boring. Beautiful mountains, the creek, wild life...

Brian Runner

Thanks for posting. When I first saw this race I said I'd never do it. Too flat. Now I'm having second thoughts. I tend to develop stomach issues after 20-25 miles, unless I'm running a flatter, easier course so This one might be a good fit for me.

I found it interesting that you use both Hammer gel and Tailwind. I have to admit that I don't know much about Tailwind but if I remember correctly they utilize more simple carbs, while Hammer goes more with complex carbs and takes a dim view of the simple carb route to fueling. At least that's my understanding.

Tailwind is designed to be diluted into a 20 ounce bottle. You gets about 200 calories from that. The problem is I don't always drink enough (tailwind) to be able to depend on it as the calorie source. I carried two bottles on this run, on tailwind, the other water. In the typical hour I was drinking more from the water than the tailwind.

I try to hit about one gel between aid stations, and sip the tailwind the rest of the time. Real food once I get to the aid stations. I've yet to have any stomach issues.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, nice race!

Those flats are killers, just as difficult as hills, but you don't know that until you've run many miles there.

Blackwell, Slate Run, why the heck does this sound so familiar to me? 

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Congratulations, nice race!

Those flats are killers, just as difficult as hills, but you don't know that until you've run many miles there.

Blackwell, Slate Run, why the heck does this sound so familiar to me? 

Thanks. I guess flat running does has its own set of challenges.

LB2

That was a great report. The idea of skipping the 50 mile distance and running a 100K reminded me of my 100K I did before Rocky Raccoon. There was no 50 miler available that was close; I found a 100K about 8 weeks out from the 100 miler and ran it after a friend talked me into it. He bailed and ran the 20 mile loop, but I had already paid my money. So, I ran. I remember at one point, about 50K, I became overwhelmed with despair about only being halfway through. But, I started feeling better after about 36 miles and ended up with a great run before it was over. I love that distance. And I am glad the Tailwind is working for you. I am going to try run this 50 miler this coming weekend with only Tailwind. I'll have some things in reserve, but it has worked very well all by itself on some marathon plus runs I have done recently.

LB2

Brian Runner

And I am glad the Tailwind is working for you. I am going to try run this 50 miler this coming weekend with only Tailwind. I'll have some things in reserve, but it has worked very well all by itself on some marathon plus runs I have done recently.

I really like the Tailwind. Clear like water, yet calorie rich, and it has an interesting semi-salty flavor that is different than other drinks i've used. I just don't think i can consume enough fluids to use it as my primary calorie source. For me it works pretty good a supplementary calorie and electroylte source. Let me know how it works for you...

Queen of Nothing

Sue

"Unfortunately this taper period coincided with the deterioration of my personal life"  as I too am going through this I can understand how hard it was to train especially when swallowing food is a painful process...hope things are getting better.   It sucks that your personal life made your race less enjoyable...to much time to think about the shit going on.

I always feel like I am finished at a turn around..like I got myself her I can get myself back.

Nice bear sighting...did it lift your spirits?

Nice job, your time was awesome...10Th place cool...

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Brian Runner

I always feel like I am finished at a turn around..like I got myself her I can get myself back.

We're crazy people "Oh, just 50k back to the finish line. Its practically over..." hehe

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Finally got around to reading this.  I enjoyed reading your report.  There is something to be said about the long flat races (& training runs).  I have had my eye on this race for a couple years.  I love the area.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences in this race amid whatever personal struggles you are going through.  Running, for me (& others), is such a great coping skill to use during times of stress, turmoil, uncertainty and of course is a great thing to do when life is going well.  So many emotions hit you during 62 miles. At times, it's a good way to work through some of the thoughts and emotions you have about life's situations. Other times, it's good just to "shut off" the mind and run.

I hope things work out for you.  Best of luck next year at your first hundred.  Will it be Pine Creek? You might want to consider other options such as Oil Creek.  Good atmosphere.

Maybe I will catch up with you at Hyner in 2015.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

A year is a long time, but if things go as planned my first 100 miler will be Pine Creek for two reasons 1) know the course, 2) know the people. Tyoga running club puts on some great events (Pine Creek Challenge 100k/100M, Green Monster 25k/50k, and are involved with Call of the Wilds Mountain Marathon / Eastern States 100).