Trailer Trash

Waiting Wednesday (Read 33 times)

LB2

I ran 3 miles last night with 1600+ feet of elevation gain on the TM. It was pretty easy.

QOTD: How/When do you take time for recovery?

I generally take a break after my last race/event of the year and during the spring turkey season. And taking a break means scaling back my mileage for a couple of months. I thought I would have needed more recovery time after Pinhoti, but I seem to be doing just fine and can run just fine now. The holidays will be a good time to take a little break. And that is usually when my down time happens.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Will get in 6-ish after work; our trails are completely iced in, fortunately microspikes take care of that otherwise they would be non-runnable

qotd: I'll always take a few days after (and before) a tough event, other than that I don't intentionally back off too much save weather, illness, work, family

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Was hoping for a nice run at lunch with gentle snow falling, but the forecast was wrong (go figure), so I'll need sun glasses instead.

QOTD:  I have cut-backs in my running, but never take a break.  After a race I'm usually running 2 days later and take it easy for a week.  I don't race as much as I used to, but after some adventure runs, I'll take it easy as well.  Sometimes, it more due to a let down of being done with my adventure / race as opposed to needing a rest.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

QOTD:  I have cut-backs in my running, but never take a break.  After a race I'm usually running 2 days later and take it easy for a week.  I don't race as much as I used to, but after some adventure runs, I'll take it easy as well.  Sometimes, it more due to a let down of being done with my adventure / race as opposed to needing a rest.

Wow. I thought it was just me. After about a month of bliss, I got a little depressed after Pinhoti. Then, I got a boost yesterday because my brother sent me a video that he had forgotten about of us at mile 90 or so. I was still running well.

LB2

hog4life

Looking for 8-9 when I get off work.

QOTD; I plan cutback weeks, and will take some extra rest days when needed, or family requires it. I've taken a few breaks, but they were for surgeries or injuries.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Another rest day for me.  I'm hoping the foot will let me run a little tomorrow.  In better news, I bought my plane tickets to Arizona for February!  Can't wait to leave this winter wasteland for a while and hang out with the cactuses (cactii?) and sunshine.

QOTD: I'm in the JohnM camp that I think recovery is underrated.  Time off is a good thing.  (Unless, you know, you're dealing with a misdiagnosed injury that forces you to take a bunch of time off.  That's different.)

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have stuff for lunch time run.  Waiting Wednesday is a good one.  I am going to put my name in the lottery for the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler...they pull 01/01/15.  So I am waiting to find out.

QOTD: I used to ease up after a race but this past weekend I got out on Monday and I think it help get the get rid of the soreness.  Usually when we go on vacation.  I have plans to run but usually party too much.  Also, when life gets in the way.

Mandy:  What are you doing in AZ in February?  I was planning a trip there to say hey to my SIL and we were going to go to MOAB.  Unsure if I am still doing it as I've already purchase my ticket to Puerta Vallarta end of February to escape this NOrCal winter wasteland. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Hi all, planning to get out tonight with a new running group.  Should be about 5 miles.  It's been a while since I've done a group run, and this is a new group that has formed at our neighborhood sporting goods store.  We'll see how this goes; I'm hopeful for new options, especially in winter.

qotd:  I don't race far enough or hard enough for a break, other than sometimes taking a couple of lower mileage days or weeks because I have other stuff going on.   Any longer breaks I've taken (and one bigger one earlier this year) are usually due to illness or injury (usually not running related).

valerienv

Thread killer ..

We are waiting today for our first big storm . It will be mostly a wind event down here , possibly gusts to 90 mph . I'll see how bad it is when I get home , hopefully I can get in a few miles .

Sue - you should get in . Be sure to come do Diamond Peak ahead of time just so you know first hand . I'm not a hill fan at all but don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be but it's a big climb at 30 and all exposed .

QOTD: I don't take time off unless I really have to . I'm afraid to stop moving .

NorthernHarrier

So last night was a real nice in the dark on some seriously icy trails. At one point the icy trail sloped sideways on the side of a steep hill and I was a little worried I would slide off into the abyss. Screw shoes this year so far have been the ticket with our conditions of late. This morning a little quicker pace around the hood.

I kind of like the winter wasteland so while you guys are somewhere warm complaining of sunburn I'll be cross-country skiing and snowshoeing and not overheating. 

QOTD--Hardly applicable for me. Let's see--in 2014 I did 2 5k trail runs, a 5k snowshoe race, and a mtn. bike/trail run triathlon. I'm usually just getting warmed up and I'm done.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Cut short my long run due to some niggling but sporadic pain in my right hip, so only 8 miles today.

QOTD: Recovery is always active for me so I'm back out the next day or day after a race running again. Then I play it by ear as far as ramping back up to normal weekly mileage and intensity. No scheduled rest days, but I take one when I feel I need it. If possible I work that in so a day off coincides with weather I don't want to run in anyway - like 90+ or single digit temps or t-storms or ice.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sue - you should get in . Be sure to come do Diamond Peak ahead of time just so you know first hand . I'm not a hill fan at all but don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be but it's a big climb at 30 and all exposed .

I was thinking about you and wondering if you were going to sign up.  Sounds like you aren't...or are you?  I still haven't signed up and this would be my first 50 miler, so when I read the site I got a little worried about the climbs.  I have run the whole trail though.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy:  What are you doing in AZ in February?  I was planning a trip there to say hey to my SIL and we were going to go to MOAB.  Unsure if I am still doing it as I've already purchase my ticket to Puerta Vallarta end of February to escape this NOrCal winter wasteland. 

You poor thing!  NorCal weather in February must be horrendous!!!!!    I'm going to go visit my parents, who are doing the snowbird thing this year.  And NorthernHarrier can keep all the damn snow and the ice and the darkness while I bask in 70 degrees and shorts.

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

A sloppy 7 today with the lady on the wild side of Green Lane reservoir. Blustery and windy with a few snow flurries. The grey doldrums continue.

QOTD: After a big race (such as Laurel Highlands or similar ultra) I tend to do a reverse taper, holding off running until the following weekend, then building back my running frequency to 6-7 days/week over a few weeks of time. Once the frequency is back, I start adding the longer runs again. Typically though I am not rushing back into training for another race. Now during regular training, I like a cutback week every 3rd or 4th week. Shorter races (10-25k trail) I don't worry much about recovery other than easy paced running.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I was thinking about you and wondering if you were going to sign up.  Sounds like you aren't...or are you?  I still haven't signed up and this would be my first 50 miler, so when I read the site I got a little worried about the climbs.  I have run the whole trail though.

I made peace with it after two DNF's in the 50 , hurt both times , I'm not going to try a third .

I don't think you should be worried , it's not a bad choice for a first 50  . Do the training run if you can so you can see the Diamond Peak- Tirol Downhill section . If you can't make the training run , we could show you that trail .  You just have to be very careful on the 3/4 mile steep downhill to Marlett on the North Canyon trail , the carnage there is always surprising.  Also on the first part going down Red House , the footing is bad and it's steep . Don't drink the water at the Bullwheel aid station it come from the pipes they have up there for snow making and it should only be for survival . Leave Tunnel Creek the second time prepared for the 12ish miles to Diamond Peak . Everything on the TRT you know  already .