Trailer Trash

Runner's World - Advice on Trail Running - WTF (Read 98 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Runner's World latest issue has a column on page 36 on "Good Decision" about where and when to run.  Here is what the said about trails.

Trails or Road?

Trails are a terrific way to add some fun and a little excitement to you routine.  

You'll get a nice change of scenery and experience a new challenge as you

navigate a softer, more uneven surface.  That said, runners with unstable

ankles should stick to the roads.  Asphalt generally offers surer footing.  

I tell people all the time running trail will BUILD UP their ankles.  Once again, this magazine seems to only cater to the newbies.  Heck, the guy who writes the Newbie Chronicles has been running longer than lace_up, and look what Kelly has done in the same time frame.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Birdwell

I was doing some deep spring cleaning this week and I made a hard decision. I threw out my stack of Runners World magazines. I realized that I've out trained them. I've also found much better information and knowledge from people here, and in the real world.

(o.k., the decision wasn't that hard)

NorthernHarrier

But c'mon, at least with Runner's World you get pictures of pretty models pretending to run. Here we get pictures of Mandy's battered and bruised legs.  Embarrassed

dpc3

I was doing some deep spring cleaning this week and I made a hard decision. I threw out my stack of Runners World magazines. I realized that I've out trained them. I've also found much better information and knowledge from people here, and in the real world.

But according to the RWOL forum we as a group dominated discussion and had nothing to offer, do you need to rethink this?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

But c'mon, at least with Runner's World you get pictures of pretty models pretending to run. Here we get pictures of Mandy's battered and bruised legs.  Embarrassed

Hey, my legs are purdy.  Approve  And I only pretend to run these days too...

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Hey, my legs are purdy.  Approve  And I only pretend to run these days too...

Don't run on trails if your ankles are weak, you might get hurt  Big grin

Occasional Runner

I actually appreciate advice like that. With any luck it'll encourage road runner's to stay the fuck off the trails. I get tired of picking up their GU wrappers.

dpc3

I actually appreciate advice like that. With any luck it'll encourage road runner's to stay the fuck off the trails. I get tired of picking up their GU wrappers.

They're already afraid of us dirty trail running hippies, who would want to run while enjoying nature at it finest.

AT-runner

Tim

DW said the same thing (minus the GU comment).

Occasional Runner

DW said the same thing (minus the GU comment).

Smart woman.

That dude that writes the "Newbie Chronicles" is probably a fairly accurate representation of the typical runner. While I agree that he seems like a bit of a bitch, I feel that way about most road runners.

Messenjah

AMEN!!!!!! PREACH ON BROTHER!!!!

jonferg67

Endless trails

Give me a break, yet another reason to stay clear of Runners World-BAD ADVICE!!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh, oh, we're a really bad bunch. Advising road runners to come to the trails "to build up their ankles". Never mention that your knees and arms will get bruised and scratched, too. And that the latest fashion won't make a big impression on the trails. Oh, no, no.

Sure we don't lure them out on the trails so that they break their ankles and will never return to the trails again, so that we can have all that wonderful nature to ourselves, I wonder? Who's giving bad advice now?

Run for fun.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

That is one of the biggest things for us too . I'm slow so I tend to pick them up , my husband is faster but will still pick them up. I wonder who they think is going to pick up their trash in the middle of no where ?  people like us I guess.  They had in a pocket or pack why can't they just put it back in ?

Irish Luck

Canceling my subscription wasn't that hard, either.  I've been enjoying the mister's subscription to Trail Runner Mag.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.