Trailer Trash

Thursdailies (Read 34 times)

Marley and I had a nice chilly 5 mile trail run. It was a brisk 37 F at the start.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

I backed off the run yesterday; I built a fire instead. I'll run after work, probably 5.

LB2

moonlightrunner

At work and not having a bad day. It will get better later when I go for a 9 miler on the way home. I have found impending darkness a great motivator for speed as it will lend itself toless time running in total darkness.

Qotd: if you are not blblissfully retired or independently wealthy, what do you do for a living AND what do you like the most and least about it?

I work in IT Education. I am the link between the clinical world and the nasty software involved with an electronic health record. I love working with tons of different people. I love working with medical people. I HATE the computer part of it, and finding myself being an educator in yh IT world is like being a fish out of water. Hoping to develop a working stet of lungs soon. (Dpc3...I would prefer catching sandhill cranes).

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

In the TMI department, I am now on hour 27 of a clear liquid diet and cleansing for a you know what. Counting down the hours until the procedure is done and I can get a cheeseburger and beer. That said, I think I will trot LadyB the gsp around the neighborhood for 3-4 miles. Hopefully the trots won't get me. I have another one of those stupid running streaks going thus will run if at all possible.

QOTD: I work in healthcare IT integration, mostly clinical systems these days.

Moonlight - I am the IT guy you love to hate.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

All ready and motivated to head out into the cold. At least it's not dark now.

TT: You guys are just amazing!

LB2: Tough choice, but you might have picked the cozier choice. Have a nice run later!

moonlight: I like that "motivation by impending darkness" part. I actually find myself getting lazier these days, and not wanting to go out once dusk is setting in. Only once I'm out there, I enjoy it just as much as daylight.

QOTD: Engineer by education, executive by career, and right now in an "instant money job" at a coffee bar. In my previous career, I liked challenges, and when something seemed "impossible" to create, make, carry out, it was even more of an incentive for me to find a solution. I enjoyed creating research programs and supervising their implementation and execution. Liked the international part of the business, but resented the 24/7 availability, and lost evenings and weekends due to travel.

In my current job, which is customer service, I like being able to completely forget all worries about the job after a shift, and being able to focus just on family and activities for myself. I like early shifts, so that I'll have most of the day to myself.

I am looking to get back into my original career again, not least for financial reasons, but as DH got laid off his full-time job and put onto part-time again recently, losing the benefits, I have to put in a lot of hours into a physically challenging job, to make up for some of his lost income.

I usually start before my kids go to school (but I get them all ready and set to head out to the bus), then taking care of them after work when they come home from school because that's when DH works, and doing about 95% of chores in the household, that all is taking a toll, and I don't really feel much energy any more to look for a better job once the evening has settled in. I like to still set aside the little bit of free time I have for running. But I know I'll have to change eventually.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

XT: I don't hate IT...techies just...think differently. I strive to cross both worlds...but I am not computer savvy.

FTYC: my second job (if I can squeeze one into my life) would be at Starbucks! I want to be a barrista!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I plan to slog through a slow and probably short run today in the neighborhood just to get in a run.

QOTD: Sort of in between the two options, semi-retired working as a part-time bookseller. My "real life" job was systems analyst/programmer analyst for various companies working on mainframes. Along the way to that I worked at a lot of other positions including manual labor and math/science teacher.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

QOTD:

Part-time mayor for a small town. Full time assistant dean for a technical/community college.

They both have ups and downs. That "part-time" thing is really not accurate. This is my last term because we bought a house outside of the city limits. I still have an address there and was going to resign but was asked to stay and finish this term because we have a number of projects going on right now. So, it is good. I want to leave with a number of things being accomplished the right way and fully implemented before I leave. Also, we have worked very hard to keep the town in good financial shape. We were in good shape when I got it, and we continue to be in good shape, despite extreme drops in revenue generated from sales tax.

LB2

Watoni

Probably another ride today if I can swing it. I have an MRI for my right Achilles in the pm. It finally rained here so it will be a good change -- last night I climbed into the redwoods as it was getting dark and descended with lights -- also fun.

QOTD: Former academic, now corporate lawyer. Finishing up an offering for a small pharma company doing really good work on orphan drugs -- mostly my clients are just tech companies or the financial advisors getting them financing. It is a very intense client-service business.

Daydreamer1

Heading out in a little bit for a 5-6 mile run, then it's off to work for a 12 hour night shift.

QOTD:  Paramedic. I love the fact that you rarely know what your going to encounter during a day and the problem solving that can go into the situations.  I'm starting to get more and more frustrated with the number of extremely obese people we constantly see. I could write a book on how the sizes of people have changed in the past 10-12 years.  I'm really starting to hate the medical field because the vast majority of the staff, including Drs, nurses and other ancillary staff really don't care about doing a good job anymore. I had a recent conversation with a very good nurse who has been in the field for >30 years and she was complaining that the only thing most of the newer staff care about is how much money they make. I had to agree with her. It's rare to find staff anymore that really, truly care about the patients.  And don't get me started on the administrators. Most of them are one step above drooling on themselves.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I am a pathetic loser as a runner...saw it was raining and got back in bed.  Have stuff for lunch run or after work.  Need to break this loser streak!

QOTD:  Social Services 25 years...burned out on dealing with these folks!  Plus I have been a Supervisor for like 15 years and sick of being responsible for others work...I think you're getting where I am at this point.  I have 2 years and 10 months until retirement....yes I am counting.

DayDreamer: I've often heard you talk about obese people.  My father was on about 7 different pills.  My husband was told he needed to take a blood pressure pill but he told the doctor he would lose weight and exercise and his blood pressure went down.  He convinced my Dad to do the same.  Dad joined a gym and is off three of the pills he was taking.  Plus he feels great.  My Mother asked her doctor if she should lose weight and the doctor said she was fine but my Mom did mention the doctor was fatter than her. Couple years later Mom had a heart attack.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Afternoon, folks!  Just got put thru the wringer in yoga class.  I don't know how the teacher does it, but the class is never the same and always exactly what I need, never mind the other folks.  I'll get in a couple of miles later as I have a streak going that I'd like to keep up until new years.

qotd:  Hmm, timely question (and very interesting to read the responses!).  I seem to be in a mid-career crisis.  Spent 20-ish years in conservation non-profits, but am 'on a break' and by default a stay at home parent this past year.  I'm tired of the leadership of the non-profits I worked with =- folks that found (IMO) a sweet deal and never seem to do anything, retire or move on, to the harm of the organization.  So I don't really want to go back, but trying to figure out something new.

Moonlight & FTYC:  I worked as a barista when we first moved here.  Great job-- I liked the early shift, the flexibility, health and stock options.  What I didn't like was serving 700 calorie drinks to obese people day after day, who would wonder out loud about gaining weight!   (to your point, DD and Queen).

Occasional Runner

I had a terrible run this morning. I woke up with a strain in my right shoulder that created a huge amount of discomfort just walking. I left my hotel for a road run and was greeted with 30 mph winds. Between the wind and the pain, I pulled the plug early and hopped in a hot shower instead. I'll try again tomorrow.

QOTD: I'm the boss.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

traildc, moonlight: I like being a barista, but l don't like having to make high-calorie drinks for people who obviously already have, or must be at the edge of getting health problems due to their weight. And our store is not even as bad as Star$$.

Strangely enough, I also like all the other tasks that come with the job (cleaning, organizing, keeping stock, running the cash register,...), and I like helping out in other departments of the store, like Pizza, or Subs - always happy to learn new things.

I love "Football Weekends". In our little town with America's second largest football stadium, those weekends are packed full with work for a coffee shop, and I thrive amidst the speed, multi-tasking, and sometimes confusion on these mornings.

The unfortunate part of the job is just the pay... 

Run for fun.

SRD for me today. I am quite happy with my running/hiking mileage over the past week or so.

QOTD: Federal government lease contracting officer. It's interesting work (sometimes), and it's a very good job. I would like to do something more creative though. I suppose that's why I started my blog.

Edited to add: I was also a barista! About 10 years ago now....at Starbucks. It was a fun job, it was also when I got hooked on coffee.