Trailer Trash

The Royal Wednesdaily (Read 43 times)

Sandy-2

I figured that I start this thing off on the right foot today.  Hit the ground running and all that rot. . .   I didn’t sleep well last night so I skipped my run this morning.  How’s that?

I guess it’s the jetlag or “having” to go to formal dinners every night (I won’t mention the thirst quenching involved) or spending all day in meetings. . .  anyway, tonight we didn’t plan a group dinner so I’ll get an evening off and I plan to do a few miles after work today.  Probably do the St. James and Hyde Park loop, kind of a tour of London parks I guess.  I’ll wave to the queen as I go by her house.

qotd: pass.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

This might turn into a rest day, not sure yet.

My ankles hurt, I don't know why, and my left arm and shoulder are kind of numb-ish since I ran into a tree two days ago. I know, kind of stupid to run into a tree, straight and hard. I still claim that thing attacked me, for no reason at all. Is it possible to press charges against a lonesome tree out there? There were plenty of eye witnesses, problem only is - they are all trees, and I'm afraid that bunch will stick together, no matter what. Evil Sigh. I guess I'll just have to be patient, let the swelling subside, and move on.

Sandy: Hopefully, there won't be any last-minute dinner appointments made. Enjoy your royal run, don't let all that extra baggage pull you down. Seems like one of those tough trips this time, with never-ending jet lag and obligations, and no fun. But you are a long-hauler, so I'm sure you'll get through it and come out strong on the other side.

QOTD: Have you ever run against a tree, a log, a rock, or similar? Got injured?

With me, it seems I have trouble estimating how wide my shoulders are. It happens almost every year that I collide with things on the trail. Maybe I'm half blind and don't even know it?

Have a glorious day, everyone!

Run for fun.

Scrapster

JFC, are we a cheery bunch, or what?!?  LOL.

Woke up to thunderstorms, so hopped on the bike trainer.  Clipped in, didn't even get through the opening credits of the movie I had in the DVD player, and hopped off the bike in lieu of an extra 90 minutes in bed.  Running date at lunch, and she is bound and determined to run trails.  We will have a messy, muddy, slip-slidey time, I'm sure!

QOTD:  All the time, especially on the right side.  Also, I can't run in a straight line, so if I am running with someone, I will tend to run into them repeatedly.  Oops.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I wasn't going to post today...feeling crumby that I missed another day of running/working out.  But Sandy - you started us off right.  Up half the night with my 8 yr old who seemed to get the stomach thing while DW was downstairs dealing with it herself.  Needless to say, I needed to not get up at 5 and go run/workout.  At this point, staying healthy is more important than individual workouts.  DS seems to be ok - maybe didn't get hit as hard as we thought and so is DW - for now.  Time will tell. I doubt I will get in anything tonight.  Night schedules are too hectic.

QOTD: I had to laugh at this question.  I am trying to imagine us all "running into trees".  I have fallen numerous times, tripped on plenty of roots but never run into a tree.  Having said that, I did have a tree attack me.  At my lone 50 miler in 2011, I tried to be "heroic" and vault a tree laying over the trail.  But because the tree had released some sort of grease, I slipped considerably and landed on my right hip - hard.  I still have a deep discomfort in that hip.

FTYC - I was wondering if you did try and press charges on that tree if you would be able to pick it out of a line-up amongst other trees.  Ha!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Trail Monster

90 minutes whenever I can fit it in today.

QOTD: Not really. Usually it's me versus dirt. I'm very attractive to gravity apparently.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Im sitting in my brothers screened in porch in Charleston, temp 68 drinking a latte it was 14F when left MT yesterday. We, ll do a short run on the beach today

qotd not too bad w trees, roots and rocks on the other hand  those get me fairly often

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Dare I say 'good morning!'?  I got in 5 miles with DS and the running group last night.  I am now in Columbus and trying to figure out a 6 mile run after my afternoon meetings.  I'm scoping out a couple routes while I'm getting around town.  It's also raining and quite warm here.   mtwarden, your beach run sounds so much better!

qotd:  all the time.  Mostly sign posts when I'm angrily stuck on a road run.  And now that I'm running with 12 yo DS, who has all the grace of a headless chicken, we're usually colliding (or I'm getting swacked by his flailing arms).  Big grin

AT-runner

Tim

No royalty here in Gettysburg, just a lot of ghosts (or so they say).

Either 60 min run in the Battlefield or I may be forced to use the TM.  Forecast is for thunderstorms and I've been hit by lightning before.

QOTD:  Never run into a tree.  Have fallen over logs; the ones that somehow raise themselves up an inch just as you are jumping over them.  Rocks get me all the time, especially now with all the leaves covering them.  I've gotten pretty good at the shoulder roll fall.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I wasn't going to post today...feeling crumby that I missed another day of running/working out.  But Sandy - you started us off right.  Up half the night with my 8 yr old who seemed to get the stomach thing while DW was downstairs dealing with it herself.  Needless to say, I needed to not get up at 5 and go run/workout.  At this point, staying healthy is more important than individual workouts.  DS seems to be ok - maybe didn't get hit as hard as we thought and so is DW - for now.  Time will tell. I doubt I will get in anything tonight.  Night schedules are too hectic.

QOTD: I had to laugh at this question.  I am trying to imagine us all "running into trees".  I have fallen numerous times, tripped on plenty of roots but never run into a tree.  Having said that, I did have a tree attack me.  At my lone 50 miler in 2011, I tried to be "heroic" and vault a tree laying over the trail.  But because the tree had released some sort of grease, I slipped considerably and landed on my right hip - hard.  I still have a deep discomfort in that hip.

FTYC - I was wondering if you did try and press charges on that tree if you would be able to pick it out of a line-up amongst other trees.  Ha!

Have a great day!

Jamie, I hope you won't get that stomach bug. Although the worst part was over within a few hours, it took me several days to get over the fatigue, exhaustion and occasional nausea. Not fun.

And yes, I was also wondering if I could reliably identify the tree. Somehow, they all seem to look alike!

Run for fun.

I'll do some hill repeats tonight, though my legs are tired from 2 days of intense snowboarding plus a run last night. I crapped out on my  long run last weekend, so I'm trying to stick to my plan this week.

QOTD: I'm not known for running into objects, but have definitely face planted more than a few times...

The pooch and I had a nice 5 mile trail run in the fog.

QOTD:  I have scraped against stuff now and then and once went to the hospital for stitches and a cat scan from hitting a branch on a down tree while ducking under it.  The branch was hidden by leaves.  More often the ground just jumps up and slams into me Smile

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Yay!!   Finished up the meeting a little early today and I have some time to fit in a run. . .   so off I go.

I came back for the qotd, so here it is:

At some parts of the Crosstimbers 50 miler course the trail is sunken in about a foot or so lower than ground level, I guess due to wear and erosion.  When we were running the sunken trail was filled with water and mud, so some runners ran along the edge of the trail at the upper ground level.  You had to squeeze between the trees and the sunken trail.  I was running along the edge avoiding the trees, but also had to watch the footing carefully.  What I didn’t see was a stub of a pine tree branch that someone had cut off sticking out about a foot from the tree trunk.  As I was running by the tree my right arm was swinging forward and I smashed my bicep on the 2 inch diameter branch stub (read substantially stiff immovable object).  My arm was back-n-blue and sore for weeks.  Afterward I thought I was lucky I didn’t hit that thing with my face.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Here's a thought as I am reading through everyone's accounts of falling, or smacking into trees and branches: why run trails? I would think most "road" runners ask that question.  If you are going to fall so much, then why bother?

This question doesn't need answered here.  We all know why we run trail, but just an interesting divergence in thought.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Here's a thought as I am reading through everyone's accounts of falling, or smacking into trees and branches: why run trails? I would think most "road" runners ask that question.  If you are going to fall so much, then why bother?

This question doesn't need answered here.  We all know why we run trail, but just an interesting divergence in thought.

I'm stubborn and smartiepants, so I'll answer the question nonetheless: Because it's not any better on the roads for me. I manage to trip on the pavement, slip in puddles below the curb and twist my ankle, etc.

So if I have to fall or get hurt anyway, I'll rather do it on a trail!

Run for fun.

runfastandie

Hi- Now the DH is sick with the flu so I'm on duty.  That wouldn't stop me! I got the kids/lunch/etc ready last night and for the first time in their lives they woke up to an alarm.  After my personal training I drove all the way back home, showered, and headed all the way back up to work/school.  Ha! I don't even think they were late!  A week of not working out at all with the flu was rough!  Today my quick start and new edition of Racing Weight comes in the mail! Can't wait!

qotd:  When I was 15 I was REALLY drunk in the ravine with friends during school. Some teachers got wind and came over- we all started running! I ran over a log but there was a huge branch sticking out that ripped open my leg.  Should have got stitches but I was busy with in-school detention and writing a book report on alcoholism for my Dad.

Queen- let me know what norcal race you are looking at! Maybe it will inspire me.