Trailer Trash

Can I wear my Brooks Ravennas? (Read 46 times)

Brilliant

I asked here a couple of months ago for recommendations for trail shoes. I got some suggestions,  but was also told that since I run nontechnical trails I could stick with my Ravennas. So that's what I did.

Saturday I'm headed out for my first "real" trail run. I've never seen the trail, but the map shows some single-track trails, and I know there's elevation gain. No rain here for a while, so it should be dry. Will I be ok in my Ravennas? They're my older ones but still have decent tread. My only option is a pair of hiking shoes...or head to the LRS tomorrow to see what they have.

AT-runner

Tim

Stick with what you got.  The Brooks should be fine.  Even if it's technical, you don't want to break in new shoes on your first trail race.  Have fun.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What AT-runner said.  I did my first trail race (a half marathon) on a pretty technical trail in my road shoes and was totally fine.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

For what its worth, I've run several 100 mile trail races and I've wore road shoes in all of them. I like to wear a pair of shoes that is well into its life cycle because all I really need is a comfortable shoe. I would encourage you to wear what's comfortable too!

Queen of Nothing

Sue

yes..

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Brilliant

Ok, good to know, thanks.

It's not a race, just a run on a "real" trail through a wilderness area. Different from my daily edge-of-suburbia trail runs.  It will also be my first time running with my Camelbak. I usually carry a handheld and refill at a conveniently placed water fountain. Don't think they have those where I'm going on Saturday.

under a rock

Have fun on your first foray into the wild!

For me, I prefer trail shoes. Right now I'm even using my trail shoes on the road because I've never found a road shoe that works for me as well as my trail shoes. You'll be fine with what you have. One of the biggest differences that I've found with trail vs road is that trail shoes usually drain better than road shoes.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Try the Ravennas.  You will find as you run more trail what works for you and what doesn't.  Trial and error.  If you like running trails but do not like the way the Brooks feel or want to try something else, then go for it.  Just don't go barefoot....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

For what its worth, I've run several 100 mile trail races and I've wore road shoes in all of them. I like to wear a pair of shoes that is well into its life cycle because all I really need is a comfortable shoe. I would encourage you to wear what's comfortable too!

Same with me.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Brilliant

Good advice, everyone.  I wore the Ravennas and they worked out great.  I was with a group, and when we got to the summit one of the other runners was complaining of a blister already - she was wearing a new pair of trail shoes.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Great that it worked well for you.

I have never gotten blisters from shoes, not even new ones, and I always make sure that they fit really well and comfortable right from the beginning. Still, it can happen.

You can wear your road shoes until you clearly see where they are not sufficient any more, and what features will help you best with your trail running. Then it's much easier to decide which shoe to get.

Run for fun.