Trailer Trash

Comrades Marathon RR (Read 58 times)

Occasional Runner

The race is being dubbed the hardest Comrades Marathon in history. This is coming from a race with a lot of history. It would be my luck to show up on this particular year.

Despite my own difficulties, it was a pretty epic journey and I'm proud to have finished it.

You can check it out here...

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/06/2013-comrades-marathon-never-limit.html

Thanks!

Kelly

AT-runner

Tim

Nice jib, Kelly and thanks for sharing the RR.  Do they still celebrate the first non-finisher?

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Nice jib, Kelly and thanks for sharing the RR.  Do they still celebrate the first non-finisher?

They do, but it's still pretty deflating for all involved. I don't think he was TRYING to be that guy.

Chnaiur

Thanks for sharing! I was already pretty sure Comrades wasn't for me, but this really hit the nail home. Will have to find another excuse for going to SA.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Ultra Cowboy

+1 to Chnaiur's comments.  SA is a beautiful place and I wish I could have visited my uncle when he had a farm there.  

Kelly, I think you should be proud for pushing your comfort zone. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Great job. I like the first hand account because I think there's this big aura that surrounds it but I've never heard the nitty gritty before. Sounds pretty brutal.

Wandering Wally

What an amazing experience.  Thank you for sharing.  I can't imagine watching all of those people just drop in the most literal sense.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

dpc3

Well done in the elements! Safe travels home and to Arizona.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

What an experience, great job, Kelly! Congratulations for finishing with a great time, considering the heat and wind.

Being a smaller runner myself, I can confirm that strong winds can literally blow you away, and it can be very hard to keep running in such conditions. Way to tough it out and run the race in relentlessly!

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Nice job getting it done!  It seems like you made the best of what the day gave you.  Maybe not the race you pictured, but certainly a better day than those carted off in the ambulance or those getting "bounced" for not making the cutoff.  Interesting to see a "roadies" ultra.  PS the wind sounded brutal...I don't have much bodyweight to anchor me down myself so that resonated with me.

**Ask me about streaking**

Chnaiur

Btw, I liked the comments about the wind. Maybe I'm finally finding a nice for myself :-)

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congrats on gutting that one out!   wind AND heat, my two favorites- add in roads and it's my three favorites Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

muppy

With the wind and heat, you still made it to the end, and a 30% DNF sounds like it was brutal, congrats!

What a brutal account!  Great work hanging in there and running smart so you wouldn't be one of the casualties.  I never realized all the tradition surrounding this race.

Low_O2

Sounds like a rough day of running! Nice job pulling through for a solid finish. That will add some good mental toughness to your training bank, the trails will be even more satisfying after that.. Interesting reading about all the traditions.