Trailer Trash

Bridger Ridge Run redemption (Read 34 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

This is the second time I've run this race, a 21 mile grueling run along the spine of the Bridgers.  The first year (2012) it ate me up and spit me out; this year I set a rather lofty goal of shaving a full hour off of my time.  The races starts out near Fairy Lake and then ascends 2500' in 2 miles where you summit Sacajawea Peak.  About halfway up to the pass we we're greeted by the wonderful sound of a bagpiper.

this is headed to towards Sacajawwea (this photo was taken from the Bozeman Chronicle front page of the Sports section-I'm the second runner w/ the orange shirt and Osprey Rev!)

After Sac peak you drop a very quick 2000' and hit some actual runnable single track behind Ross Peak and when you get to Ross Pass you encounter you're first aid station.  I made pretty good time on this stretch.  After Ross Pass there is a really nasty climb (literally climbing in places) back up to the top of the ridge.  After several up and downs you end up at the second aid station above Bridger Ski area, about half way into the race.  I made fair time in this stretch.  After leaving the aid station, more climbing and then Saddle Peak comes into view.  It's very intimidating to see you have yet another grueling climb.

at this juncture I was starting to get very bad cramps the entire length of my leg (never had this happen before) and felt punch drunk, but I knew there was only way-forward

at ~ the 17 mile mark (and after several more tough ascents) you Reach Baldy Peak and the last aid station, a little slice of heaven!  the aid workers had to pack in all the water and food- God bless them!

it's downhill most of the way from Baldy which sounds great in theory, but you're losing more than 4000' in about 4 miles- it's so steep that very little is runnable, it's tiny steps on slippery ball bearing like gravel.  it really taxes your quads and feels like someone has ripped the skin off the bottom of your feet!

after what seemed like an eternity I could finally see the finish below and hear the cow bells ringing and I knew I was going to make it.  I met my goal and shaved 70 minutes off of my time from 2012.  my buddy Grant didn't far so well and had to drop at the Bridger aid station, he became very ill and was puking.  I felt really bad as he had trained very hard for this event, but he made the right decision and he'll get another stab at it

swag from the race

thanks for reading Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, awesome race to shave off more than an hour of you last year's time!

It sounds like there's a bit of up and down in this race - how much was the total elevation gain?

Sorry for your friend who did not make it, but at least, he also got to enjoy the bagpiper!

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

That's awesome! Sounds (and looks) like a Brut-iful race. Congratulations!

moonlightrunner

Congratulations! Sounds like an amazing accomplishment.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

ceezy

Congrats!

Looks incredible from the pics.

muppy

Knocking 70 minutes off your time, that's amazing, congratulations!

Birdwell

That looks like a cool race!

Daydreamer1

About halfway up to the pass we we're greeted by the wonderful sound of a bagpiper.

Congratulations on shaving so much time off last years. It looks like a great run.

About the bagpipes though. Sounds like a good reason to carry the shotgun along .  For the pipes only though, not the piper. Pipes are like nails on a chalkboard for me. I'd have to run faster just to get away.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks folks!

FTYC-their site says 6800',  my mapping software shows over 9000', it sure felt like a lot more than both of those numbers Big grin

Daydreamer- must be my Celtic background, but the bagpipes are all music for me Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

LB2

That looks interesting. I hope your buddy goes back after it again next year. It really sucks to train for a race and then have everything go to crap.

LB2

jonferg67

Endless trails

losing more than 4000' in about 4 miles- it's so steep that very little is runnable, it's tiny steps on slippery ball bearing like gravel

Nice description; ball bearing gravel is one thing, but slippery adds a little more to the clench factor. Great job slicing 70 minutes off your time.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

danke Smile  yeah I'm 99% sure Grant will give it another go, next year we're doing the Elkhorn 50k (we missed it this year as the Bridger is just a week apart), but 2016.............. Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

SheCan

Wow, that looks like some serious grueling running.  Congratulations on finishing the race and meeting your goal. Great pictures.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That's a lot of time to knock off...like go home, shower, drink a beer instead of "still running".  Congrats...nice pics!

**Ask me about streaking**