Trailer Trash

Your "last" run (Read 57 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I go under the knife in exactly 3 weeks. 

I'm still running at the moment, although running through this excessively cold and snowy winter has been difficult.  The only motivation I have at the moment is a) If I run more, I can eat more cookies and b) Soon I won't be able to walk (or eat many cookies.)

Recovery from this surgery can vary wildly from person to person, so I am trying to prepare myself for the worst.  I also plan on being overly conservative in my comeback, as I have absolutely nothing to lose at this point by being cautious.  My sanity left me long ago and I've already half converted into a cyclist, so, you know.  I should be on crutches for approximately 4 weeks, coupled with months and months of physical therapy.  I don't plan on running for 4-8 months.

So at the end of the month, I will go for my "last" run.  What should I do?  What would you do for your last run?   Our snow cover is high and the trails are pretty crappy at the moment.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Do whatever makes you happy and enjoy the day.

If the trails are all covered with snow, then look for some snowmobile trails and run there.  Or drive out to Philly (if you still have the same boyfriend) and run with T&C and have a post run drink.

Good luck.  The time will go faster than you think.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Run on a TM for 26+ miles. 

No I agree with AT.  Pick something that makes you happy.  If it were me, I would pick one of my fav trails and just go, make many stops along the way and enjoy the serenity.

Good luck! Keep us in the loop.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You've got over two weeks to plan. Why not organize a nostalgia run with as many of your running friends as you can get together at one of your favorite sites. Beer and pizza after.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Messenjah

I've done 2 of these in the past week because the cold has been that bad

Run on a TM for 26+ miles. 

I would wait until that one day when your brain and weather are cooperating. There will be some solitude to that. Pick your favorite route/trail and just go. No time or distance requirement but just go.........

LB2

I would run the AT from Maine until I hit the Pinhoti Trail in Ellijay, GA. Then, I would run all the way to where the Pinhoti empties me out in Syllacauga, AL. Then, I would buy a case of toilet paper and roll the mayor's house in Syllacauga.

...or you could just do a leisurely run on a trail that makes you happy.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I'll be in Philly this weekend...I am hoping we can find some brown trails if we head a little South!  I am so tired of looking at snow.

I like the idea of dropping the watch and just going for an undermined amount of time.  George, most of my running friends are not local, otherwise I think that's a great idea.  Y'all come on up and visit for my last run!

Running is dumb.

jonferg67

Endless trails

The first thing I would do is stop calling it my 'last' run, maybe

'pre surgery' run. 'Last' seems so final. As far as the run itself, I

would decide that day.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'll be in Philly this weekend...I am hoping we can find some brown trails if we head a little South!  I am so tired of looking at snow.

I like the idea of dropping the watch and just going for an undermined amount of time.  George, most of my running friends are not local, otherwise I think that's a great idea.  Y'all come on up and visit for my last run!

And I'll be in Las Vegas for the Jackpot Ultra so we'll miss each other again. Good luck finding brown trails here. Some of the paved trails still aren't clear.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The first thing I would do is stop calling it my 'last' run, maybe

'pre surgery' run. 'Last' seems so final. As far as the run itself, I

would decide that day.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I'm being mildly facetious.  I used quotation marks! 

Running is dumb.

Sandy-2

My "last run" would have to be on a trail somewhere.  Shouldn't be one of those concrete slogs.  Oh yeah, there should be coffee or beer involved afterward (preferably beer).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

moonlightrunner

Let's all meet at Mandy's and go for a run!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

sugnim

1.  If you can, buy new shoes so you don't think of this as your last run, but your first run in your new shoes, which you will be taking out for more runs when you recover.

2.  Leave your watch, gps, or other gadgets at home, but bring your dog.

3.  Just run & have fun.  Go to your favorite place(s).  In corporate walking, skipping, hiking, and singing into your run.

4.  Be sure to have an awesome recovery meal afterward!

Have fun, and good luck with your surgery.  I hope you have a nice recovery & will be healthy & back on the trails soon.

XtremeTaper

If it was my "last run" I'd use some vacation time and go run in someplace new where the trails were not covered in the white %$%! that we have around here!

Best wishes on your surgery and recovery. You are young. You will be off that bike a decade or more before the age where I finally became a runner.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

1.  If you can, buy new shoes so you don't think of this as your last run, but your first run in your new shoes, which you will be taking out for more runs when you recover.

I like this idea!  An excuse for new shoes!    Hmmm, recovery meal ideas...

Running is dumb.