Trailer Trash

Yaktrax - Opinions Please (Read 39 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/run#

Any opinions on these things?

Last winter I was kicked off the trails by nasty icy snow, sometimes just nasty deep snow that had ice either on top or in the middle or on the very bottom, but what made things worse were all the bike tracks and foot tracks from hikers (and possibly other runners). My calves were literally screaming and trail running was no longer enjoyable.... I was pretty much walking, luckily that snowy crap didn't hit until January but I think it might hit sooner. I don't know if anything will help, but I am wondering if it's worth trying these yaktrax or something like them (I don't want to put screws in my shoes).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

some call me Tim

I've tried yaktrax and haven't had success with them in any conditions.. on icy sidewalks they actually caused me to slip more. But I've run in the kind of conditions you mention and had success with trail shoes designed for mud (at the time it was Salomon Speedcross 3s)- big lugs with wide spacing. I suppose if the ice was hard enough you'd be out of luck with those, but if you can break through at all they'll keep you stable, even during thaws where you're constantly breaking through a crust to water and slush beneath.

I guess microspikes might work as well, or snowshoes for that matter... and that's a hell of a workout.

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

Yaktrax don't have great durability. I've broken a whole bunch of them-- that said, I got a bunch of pairs really cheap through a pro deal and they were worth what I paid for them Smile However, I think screw shoes or microspikes are a better bet.

Race schedule: a 50k. Sometime. This year. Maybe a 5k too. Maybe races in between as well. 

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I use Yaktrax and Yaktrax pro and I'm very happy with them. They have held up several hundred miles each in ice and packed snow. I've benn using them for three+ winter seasons, for many months, as we had a lot of ice here in PA.

However, I'm a lightweight runner with a light step, so even when I use them on rocks, packed gravel road sections of a few hundred feet, or pavement for a short distance, they probably don't get worn down a lot.

Run for fun.

In the conditions I used them in I found them to be at best so so and at worst worse than just my running shoes.  I found them slippery on ice or hard refrozen slush and not really much better than my bare shoes on snow.

In icy conditions screw shoes or Stabilicers were better.  Overall I much prefer Kahtoola Micro Spikes in almost all frozen trail conditions.

Bottom line...  You couldn't give me a set of YakTrax.  I tried them and returned them to REI for a refund.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I tried them , I have a great fear of falling on the ice , they worked ok but moved around . I did the screw shoes last winter ,  it was  brainless , they never moved , they were always there and cost next to nothing to install .

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I love my Kahtula (sp) microspikes for snowy/icy trails...you can stick to anything (post-holing is a different issue).  Really, this is my favorite type of running.

For snowy/icy sidewalks, I wear my heavily lugged trail shoes (NB 1010 v2), which have been fine.  If you don't have a heavily lugged trail shoe, as mentioned, screw shoes are excellent.

I owned YakTrax a few years ago (not for running) and I ended up destroying them pretty quickly in my work boots.  They're good for shoveling the driveway.

**Ask me about streaking**

moonlightrunner

I love my yak trax extremes. I would probably opt for kahtoola micospikes which seems durable. My yak trax completely changed my winter running last year

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

buy once, get the microspikes- you have my money back guarantee 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, thanks ya'll. The Kahtoola's definitely look more appealing or at least up to the task. I think I've still got at least a month or so before I really need anything just yet so I've got some time to think Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Yeah, Yaktrax blow.  Get Microspikes, much much betta!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Definitely tipping the scales to the microspikes Smile

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay, what size would I need to buy? The Small-Youth for Women go 5.5-8.5 and the Medium for Women is 8.5+, my shoe size is 8.5

PRs

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'd go with the larger size because running shoes are usually wider and longer at the soles than street shoes, and you also want to get them on and off quickly and easily out on the trails, without having to take the shoes off, or also on cramping legs. I have compared the microspikes and the yaktrax pro, and there is very little difference in the mounting system, and no difference in the spikes part. My pros keep me feeling safe and secure even on 4+ inch thick polished ice on steep downhills (done that often in the past two winters), and I guess the microspikes will perform just the same. Only downside is, spikes (doesn't matter which brand) can get stuck on roots and send you tumbling and sliding down a frozen waterfall head first (BTDI).

Run for fun.