Trailer Trash

Frightening Friday (Read 30 times)

LB2

Walk tonight. Run tomorrow morning.

QOTD: What is your latest running purchase? And why?

Compression shorts. I just ordered them. I have been trying to run without compression shorts most of the summer and into the fall. However, the humidity is so bad down here I always have a problem with chaffing after about 7 miles or so. So, I bought a new pair of compression shorts for this little long run I have coming up in about 14 days.

LB2

NHLA

6 miles on the mt. The oaks have finally turned.

qotd  Solaman trail shoes. Needed some serious grip for most difficult trails.

AT-runner

Tim

Hope to get out this evening for one last run at night without using a light.  Busy weekend schedule will make getting a long run in very difficult.

QOTD:  Just go in a box of shoes. 1 pair of Inov8 TrailRoc 255's and a pair of Altra Lone Peak 2.5's.  Both are replacement shoes for similar shoes that are getting up in mileage.  I use the Inov8's for rocky stuff since they have great treads and a protective rock plate.  I use the Lone Peaks's for moderate trails or if I'm mixing logging roads and trails.

Have a great weekend.

Good luck Sandy and any other racers and pacers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

QOTD:  Just go in a box of shoes. 1 pair of Inov8 TrailRoc 255's and a pair of Altra Lone Peak 2.5's.  Both are replacement shoes for similar shoes that are getting up in mileage.  I use the Inov8's for rocky stuff since they have great treads and a protective rock plate.  I use the Lone Peaks's for moderate trails or if I'm mixing logging roads and trails.

Have a great weekend.

Good luck Sandy and any other racers and pacers.

I really like those 2.5's. I made a few runs in them, and they work nicely on everything I have thrown at them.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I really like those 2.5's. I made a few runs in them, and they work nicely on everything I have thrown at them.

I agree. I've had all three generations and think the 2.5's are great.  They seem to have figured out their sizing better and the treads are very strong.  I used the 2.0's on my R2R2R run this past spring and they were perfect for that run.  Then only negative I have is I can't really use them for some of the PA rocky trails.  The sole is a bit soft for our aggressive trails with the sharp pointy stuff.  I go to the Inov8's for that.

Good luck with the taper.

XtremeTaper

Good afternoon all... treats are all ready for the Halloweeners tomorrow night... skittle, starburst, tootsie pops, reeses, and m&m's are the choices assuming I don't eat 10 pounds of candy between now and then.

About 6.5 mi yesterday evening with the Lady out on the hilly trails of Coventry Woods. The rain, wind, and more rain on Wednesday knocked down some of the leaves but the last mile was pretty spectacular as we ran down off the ridge on a trail covered with burnt orange and yellow leaves and the trees were still pretty thick with the colors of fall. Maybe I forgot to mention the sun had set but left large streaks of orange lighting up the western sky highlighting all the aforementioned colors in the woods. Yeah, that was a nice finish. We'll probably run near the lake tonight or perhaps Warwick Park trails.

QOTD: A fresh pair of Altra Lone Peak 2.5 (I had a free coupon) and a pair of Innov-8 trailroc 295. I wanted a pair of Innov8 for the winter snow and slop. They have some killer lugs for wet slippery rocky conditions. AT, I could have almost copied your post.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

NorthernHarrier

Couple days ago I said I have had a boat load of deer ticks crawling around on me including a few inbedded, well yesterday I felt an irritable bump on my back which turned out to be another one that had burrowed itself completely in. My daughter had to be do some field surgery on me to get it out by pieces. Little bastards are starting to aggravate me. So I'll be stopping by the pharmacy for my antibiotics on my way north shortly. In the meantime I'll go do a 4.5 mile road loop around the homestead while I wait for DW to get home.

QOTD- North Face ultra goretex 109's. They are heavy, firm, built like a tank, and did I say heavy? But I kind of like them.  The reason--well normally I'm not much for a goretex trail runner, however they fill a niche under some conditions around here but mainly I got them for snowshoe racing as normal trail runners get so wet from the snow and slop and if I am out for any kind of distance it can get a little chilly like that. I did 4 races last winter and this winter I'll do those again plus a couple more I'm looking at.  Added bonus is that when I retire these from the rotation they look like they will be great light hiking shoes.  So while I like them so far I'm not necessarily recommending them unless you have some special circumstances too. We can get some weather in northern Wi. during the winter. Of course if you watch the national news the only weather that is relevant is on the east coast. 

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head back into work. Came home exhausted this morning, went to bed and just got up so looks like this will be a rest day..

NH - Is it normal for you to have so many deer ticks up there?   Have you tried using Permethrin?

QOTD: HOKA Speedgoats.  Got them because my Mafates had problems with the soles tearing on the nastier trails. I've run them on some quite technical terrain and so far they are holding up.  I like them. Not as bulky as the Mafates, but definitely well cushioned.

NorthernHarrier

NH - Is it normal for you to have so many deer ticks up there?   Have you tried using Permethrin?

Yeah, pretty much the normal for me in the fall for the last twenty some years. If you stick to the trails the exposure/risk is not that bad but it's all the bushwacking I do in the grouse type cover. I seldom get them on my property as it's a more aged forest vs. the sunnier, brushier aspen type cover I hunt.  I have sprayed up and stepped into cover only to see a tick crawling thru where I just sprayed. I'm sure it helps to a degree but.... Anyway I do spray up myself and the dog each time heading out and hope for the best.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Still not a runner but I did go to the gym at lunch.  Smile  Have a 20 miler planned tomorrow...that should kill me. 

QOTD:  No...I have everything I need.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

Crazy work week, no running but finally some wine last night and a few hours sleep ....

Son's 12th B-day on Halloween, run/ride Sunday, maybe a short run tonight/tomorrow

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

got a nice (but cool) 6 mile run in this afternoon- my achilles felt better today and was fine during the run, after the run it was a little sore again  hoping to get in 19 miles tomorrow on our Don't Fence Me In 30k course, it's a pretty brutal course with lots of elevation +/-

NH- goretex shoes do have a use and it's exactly what you describe- snow, they will wet through eventually (or the snow comes in from the top), but they will keep your feet warmer as the goretex liner doesn't breathe (much to the chagrin of Goretex I'm sure)- the exact reason they don't work for anything but cold conditions

qotd: not too much surprisingly , just my Helium Hybrid I do think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Osprey Rev 6- I have a 1.5 and a 12- the 12 is nice for long runs in the mountains; I like the 1.5 but it doesn't have a good place for my iphone, the 12 has these nice stretch side pockets that it fits perfectly in and so does the 6- plus the 6 has a main compartment (I have to squeeze stuff into the bladder compartment with the 1.5)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

qotd: not too much surprisingly , just my Helium Hybrid I do think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Osprey Rev 6- I have a 1.5 and a 12- the 12 is nice for long runs in the mountains; I like the 1.5 but it doesn't have a good place for my iphone, the 12 has these nice stretch side pockets that it fits perfectly in and so does the 6- plus the 6 has a main compartment (I have to squeeze stuff into the bladder compartment with the 1.5)

I borrowed 2 hair ties from DW and use them to hold my phone to the inside of the iFlip pocket of the Rev 1.5. It holds the phone easily and doesn't bounce too much.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Rest day, today and tomorrow will be crazy days at work. I'll be doing an overnight shift, plus the following day shift, that's 12 hrs straight on my feet - great for ultra endurance training! (Football weekend again, home game, what can I say).

It was indeed a bit windy yesterday. On a few steep hills, I was running downhill, and still almost standing still. Felt like parachuting!

LB2: I have a pair of tights that "compress" my butt cheeks. And chafing issues definitely have not resolved... 

Hope they'll work for you!

AT: Have you considered Salomons? Your take on those? And how do the Inov8 (and maybe Salomons, NHLA) compare to the Cascadias?

I've had tearing problems with the Cascadias and the Pure Grits on my home PA trails, too, and I'm looking for a shoe that really "sticks" on the rocks, even when they are wet.

Harrier: I have never tried goretex shoes for snowshoeing, but I've come across the same "snow melt - snow chill" experience myself a couple times when snowshoeing. Almost passed out from the pain. I'd expect goretex shoes to work great keeping the feet warm. I might get some just for snowshoeing.

QOTD: I wish I could say new shoes, but they are still on the shelf in the store... 

Good luck to the racers and pacers! Kelly running this weekend?

Run for fun.

runtraildc

hi all- late to the party today.  Got in 3 miles in the woods while the kiddos swam.  Lots of leaves hiding the roots and rocks.  The tulip poplar leaves are the worst.  Beautiful out.

qotd: nothing but a shirt.