Trailer Trash

Thirsty Thursday (Read 31 times)

LB2

Late meeting today. I may not get a run in, but we will see. If I do, it should be about 5 miles.

QOTD: Have you changed anything significant about your running over the years?

1. I have changed my gait to correct overstriding.

2. I never listen to music when I run anymore. I think that may be the most significant change because one of the things I liked about running in the beginning was that I would lose myself in music while I ran. Now, I lose myself in the run itself.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Ran 7 miles last night over at Warwick park. Fairly warm and humid but still has the feel of summer winding down. I guess the earlier sunset is the main reason. Saw quite a few runners last night, mostly HS cross country types. A section of these trails is a local xc course so this time of year the youngsters are out training.

Tonight will be my last "long" run before Superior100. Plan on 3-4 hours of trail running getting in an hour or two of night/dark running as well.

QOTD: Well, in 2007 I switched from road marathons to ultras as goal races. I still ran trails way back then, but not as much. This past summer I've done exactly one road run and one track run. Everything else has been on the trail. Funny, I used to be faster on the trails when I was a road runner.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Skipped my run last night because I felt like garbage. Time of the month, sore hip flexor, and exhausted. I'm having a really hard time recovering from all the sleep I lost last week on vacation. Going to a Phillies game tonight, so no run tonight either :/

QOTD: 

My shoes (Asics to Brooks) and my gait I suppose. I try to shorten my stride nowadays since I tend to overstride naturally.

NorthernHarrier

Taking a rest day today. I will do a light weight workout and a little time on the elliptical but nothing too major. These double workouts of running and biking have taken a toll.

Was able to find another pair of the Xodus 3.0 in my size at a good price so life is good again.

Xtreme--I am pretty much decided to skip that little run in Mn. While I have turned the corner recently in my running I am just nowhere near the running condition I should be in to do that course. Don't need another setback. However I wish you luck and I think you'll find that course to be challenging and beautiful. It's a good event.

QOTD--Do to age and injury I have cut back on weekly miles and I just am no longer interested in running really long.

AT-runner

Tim

I ran with the "Gettysburg Beer Runners" last night and one of my former XC runners was there so we ended up running together.  The pacing helped and pushed me to do 4 miles in 27:45 (and I was ready to die at the end).  We ended the run at Battlefield Brew Works and the group, of about 40, went inside to sample some beverages.  Fun time, but no chance it will turn me into a road runner again.

QOTD: Slowly dropped road miles in favor of trails.  Wasn't a conscience decision, just ended up picking trail over road when I was planning my runs. My last road marathon was 2006.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

Xtreme--I am pretty much decided to skip that little run in Mn. While I have turned the corner recently in my running I am just nowhere near the running condition I should be in to do that course. Don't need another setback. However I wish you luck and I think you'll find that course to be challenging and beautiful. It's a good event.

Harrier - thanks and bummer that you won't be passing my sorry ass as you finish up the marathon. My partner in crime is crewing me up there. He's run this race before (2009 I think, he was somewhere in the top1) and told me how beautiful and challenging the course is. He said he wanted to go back up there again some time... to crew, not to race. LOL.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning trailers,

Ran 5 miles this morning in the sweet humid hazy sunshine, great run. Finished feeling

fully satisfied, kinda like.......

QOTD: Last spring I changed my footstrike, yes I'm a recovering heel-striker and my name is Jon.

runtraildc

Hi all-

Have 6 planned tonight with the running group.  My goal is to get them to run the only real trail route.  And it is only half trail at that.  It's a group of road runners, so this definitely puts them into their discomfort zone.  My argument is that this is one of the last weeks we'll be able to run it without dark.  You should have seen the faces the one time I suggested we run the paved bike trail in the dark (with headlamps,  of course).  Legs are pretty trashed, so it might be painful for me, too.

qotd: I never listen to music anymore, either.  Unless I'm on the treadmill, of course.  And I've mostly stopped running on the TD unless the circumstances are dire.

Occasional Runner

I had a crappy trail run this morning. My legs felt good but I was so hungry that I started to feel nauseous and that slowed me down. It was just a sloppy, lethargic run.

I'm heading back to Utah today, so I'm happy about that.

QOTD: My stride has changed a lot, but I didn't change it. I think my stride evolved naturally and found the most efficient manner for me to run.

DigDug2

6.7 on rail trail/real trail this a.m.  Good run, except for a few mouthfuls of spider webs.

QOTD:  In my adult life I've gone through various periods of running interspersed with some long droughts.  In my current running chapter (last 18 months or so), the biggest change from previous chapters is running watch-free and not focusing on pace.

Daydreamer1

SRD for me. After 22+ miles on Tuesday and almost 7 last night my legs are shot and looking for a break. Fortunenately I'm at work all day so I'm not really wasting a good running day anyway.

LB2 - Have fun at the meeting.

Taper - Last night I pointed out to DW that it's getting darker earlier and I hate to see summer coming to an end.

Trails - A Phillies fan? Please accept my sincerest condolances Joking.

Harrier - A weight workout sounds nice, I've been wanting to get back into the gym at least once a week. How do the Xodus 3.0 drain. I recently heard that the 2.0 didn't drain very well. I was thinking about getting a pair but if they don't drain that's a deal killer.

AT - That pace would kill me this year. I actually want to do a little TM work to get faster.

Jon - Glad your run was so.....satisfying.

runtrail - Work those road runners over good and hard, show them why they should run trails!!!

lace - Running on empty is never fun, always makes me sick.

DD2 - The other moring I was thinking that cobwebs wouldn't taste so bad if they weren't quite so sticky.

QOTD: About three years ago I started running more. Before that it was just during the winter when I didn't feel like going out on the bike. Now I'm doing a lot of trails and longer runs.

Low_O2

4.8 flat easy miles with the whole fam last night. DW was having some stomach issues, so ended up being a decent amount of walking involved. But it was nice to have some company and not worry about pace or distance. I think I need to get signed up for another race as my motivation to do any serious running has died off...

QOTD: Only been running for ~2.5 years and haven't really changed anything major. Just running more miles and the constant tweaking of my nutrition strategies.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Planning on heading out for a run soon. I started work early today, so I feel as if it was mid-afternoon already, but it's not even noon yet.

I ran 2+ hrs last night, 1.5 of them in the dark, and it was a good run. But I still am not in my best shape, and I seem not to be able to improve. The first few miles feel hard, only after the first hour it gets easier, and I have some speed, but nothing compared to last years' shape. Sad I wonder if I'm overtrained, but from what? I did not run more, actually less, than last year.

QOTD: My stride has become very efficient over the years. I also run longer distances than ever before, and I'm faster. I have come from not drinking or eating during a run to having a nutrition and hydration strategy that works on long distances.

Oh, and my feet have grown one and a half sizes in the last 12 years. Surprised

Run for fun.

sugnim

Smoky day.  The fridge is broken.  My stomach is giving me grief.  No running.  Blah.

QOTD: First, I started running about 2 years ago.  That was a pretty significant change.  Then, at the beginning of this year, I switched to mostly trail running, which was also significant for me.  Other than that, changes have been small.

XtremeTaper

I ran 2+ hrs last night, 1.5 of them in the dark, and it was a good run. But I still am not in my best shape, and I seem not to be able to improve. The first few miles feel hard, only after the first hour it gets easier, and I have some speed, but nothing compared to last years' shape. Sad I wonder if I'm overtrained, but from what? I did not run more, actually less, than last year.

Couch - Aren't you training for the 100 at OilCreek? If so, the fact that the run feels better/easier after an hour is a good thing. You will not need blazing speed for the 100.