Trailer Trash

Best way to deal with Black Bear? (Read 55 times)

ceezy

What is the best way to deal with a black bear out on the trail?

I read different things but want some real world advice.

Like if I see a bear 100yrds down the path or 50yrds or closer...

thanks

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

1.) Don't run towards

2.) Don't run away

3.) Don't do anything threatening

4.) If the bear doesn't see you, back away and go the opposite direction

5.) Make noises - bears probably don't want much to do with you

6.) Bears are curious.  They may just want to check you out - at a distance.

7.) Oh yea - most important, watch for bear cubs and whatever you do don't pet them or pick them up!

(if you have a camera, take a video or picture)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Snowdenrun

+1 to what boyjame said.

And take precautions. You need to know what to do if you encounter one, or multiple, but also know how to keep them away. I live in bear country. Alaska brown bears are all over where I run and frequent many neighborhoods. I ALWAYS run with bear spray this time of year(after hibernation and hungry before the berries and salmon are available). Bears attack because they are threatened. Make it known that you are out there. If you are running with someone, talk to them. Since I almost always run alone I yell out "hey bears" whenever I am rounding a tight corner, going into different type of vegetation, or turning around. You can also attach a bear bell to yourself for continuous noise.

Remember that the scariest is a sow with cubs. Momma will do anything to protect her kids. Never get between the two.

When I hike I attach a bear bell to the dog's collar and carry a 12 gauge along with bear spray. Around here it's the norm. I'd recommend looking up laws of where you run and knowing what you are allowed to do. Obviously, don't carry a gun if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

If the bear is going to attack you make yourself big(get on top of a tree stump, arms in the air) and have a big voice. If you need to use the bear spray, stay up wind.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Like boyjame, I have encountered bears on the trails, and the bears have always turned around and walked or run away from me. Closest was about 50+ feet away, a big adult black bear, well-fed.

Run for fun.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Scream at it like a terrified girl ? it worked for me . Bears must not like shrill female screams ( much like my husband ) because the bear I screamed at took off running .

I do carry bear spray as well but that encounter was during a race and I didn't have it with me .

Scream at it like a terrified girl ? it worked for me . Bears must not like shrill female screams ( much like my husband ) because the bear I screamed at took off running .

I do carry bear spray as well but that encounter was during a race and I didn't have it with me .

A grizzly sow with 2 cubs charged me after I yelled - granted just a normal yell, not "shrill female scream"

I was too tired - end of a long field day at end of long, hot field week. Had been quiet (vest with bell was sitting between plots, about 4 steps from me), then realized I should probably make a bit of noise when I heard something up above. After I made some noise, the noise in the woods very quickly revealed what it was - much to my chagrin.

Ever since then, I always make ongoing noise - or stay quiet.

Also, typical whistles will attract bears because they sound like small mammals (ground squirrels) = dinner.  (Fortunately someone else in our crew had a rifle to fire a couple warning shots over their heads, which made them turn back on the route they were originally following.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              tjrun

I read recently in Backpacker magazine that if a Black Bear attacks you that you need to fight for your life like crazy  - not play dead as one should with a Grizzly.  I had never heard this before, but it is interesting.

Ultra Cowboy

This is the best Bear repellant I've found...

Ceezy if you are in the lower 48 MOST black bears will turn tail and run.   Exception is human habituated bears around campgrounds and resort towns.  Stumbling onto as kill site might be an agitation though...

Big bears in Alaska are more unpredictable.  Same with re-located Grizz in the Yellowstone Ecosystem.  If you see an eartag....back up and find a way around.

I've never had a bear challenge me directly

Here are some good guidelines. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ceezy if you are in the lower 48 MOST black bears will turn tail and run.   Exception is human habituated bears around campgrounds and resort towns.  Stumbling onto as kill site might be an agitation though...

I do think most will probably want nothing to do with you but not always...

I recently read that black bears can be curious - I can't remember where I read it but it made sense to me.  I had two black bear encounters last year. One was a young bear who was too busy playing to realize that anyone was running by (it was during a race).  The other was a rather large black bear that I must have startled as I was tromping up the trail - he/she rushed from one side of the trail to the other side through the brush and then sat and watched me.  I initially took it as she/he was staring me down.  But I think she/he was simply curious.  About 5 minutes of staring at each other, she/he turned her/his head and I was off.  (fastest I have ever run on that trail). 

Occasional Runner

I've had at least a dozen bear encounters and nothing has ever made me worry. I've seen more people attacked by bison on the trail than by bears. Meaning 0 bear assaults and 1 bison assault.

If you're REALLY worried about it, wear bells on your running shoes. That will dramatically reduce your odds of an encounter.

I've had at least a dozen bear encounters and nothing has ever made me worry. I've seen more people attacked by bison on the trail than by bears. Meaning 0 bear assaults and 1 bison assault.

If you're REALLY worried about it, wear bells on your running shoes. That will dramatically reduce your odds of an encounter.

The typical "bear bells" aren't loud enough to be heard, so at least they don't attract a bear. I used a cow bell in the field, but no way do I run with that, esp. on my shoes. Ouch, that hurts even thinking about it. I talk, clap hands, yell when passing noisy part of river (where some hikers had been attacked one year). The bells the bikers use on their bikes aren't too bad since they can at least be heard when it's quiet.

FWIW, there's usually at least one bear attack in Alaska each year, usually several, sometimes many - runners, bikers, hikers, bird watchers. Some light damage, some major, including being killed. Human habitation has encroached on bear habitat, and bears are becoming habituated to food left for trash pickup. People value wildlife in their area. Sometimes things don't go well for one or the other. Knowing where they're likely to be - along salmon streams when salmon are running or berry country at other times - can help select trails to avoid.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                        ceezy

Thanks for all the info!

Low_O2

I have had quite a few black bear encounters while out on the trails and most of them have run off pretty quickly. I ran into a sow and two cubs which were ~ 20 yards off the trail once. I probably would have missed them, but the two cubs both climbed tress which made quite a bit of noise. I was pretty nervous at first but mama bear seemed content to stand her ground at the base of the trees, so I pulled out the camera and snapped a few pics. If I figure out how to post pics here I will throw a couple up.

I did have one bear bluff charge me a couple times one time. That kind of freaked me out! Came within about 30 yards of me. I just climbed up on a big dead tree laying on the ground and waved my hands above my head and yelled at him. After a few tense moments he turned tail and busted off through the timber.

So, my only tip would be to act as big as possible if you come across one that is showing signs of aggression. Not sure if that is a recommended action, but it worked in my case.

NorthernHarrier

The topic is BLACK BEARS! Not grizzlies or Alaskan brown bears or whatever you want to call them. Why make more hysteria?

Yes they are to be respected of course but not feared. If you see one, be happy and watch it. It's a beautiful animal.

My maybe most threatening incident is one in which I was portaging a canoe and surprised a momma and a couple cubs on the trail. Yes, I did get right smack between her and the young ones. She stood up on her hind legs and woofed at me from a distance of about 20yds. Then a couple small bluff charges. I stood there marveling at the whole experience then set the canoe down and walked back to the rest of my gear at the lake and ate lunch. Never a camera handy!  Figured I'd give her enough time and space to clear out which she did. Never was I worried as I understood the whole situation.

Just stay calm and give them space and always give any wild animal an escape route.

I could go on and on with some of my bear stories and I long ago lost count of my "encounters" but trust me that I have been around bears my entire life and I am older than dirt.  But the bottom line--go run. Enjoy your time on the trails and if you are lucky enough to see a bear stay calm and enjoy it.

And BTW-- do not waste your money on bear bells. Those things are the silliest and most worthless pieces of junk out there. They don't work. And in Wisconsin the wolves will hear them and think it's a dinner bell. Wink

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

+1 NorthernHarrier.

Look at the size of this bear in this video.  Amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RypUdGfiZ6E