Trailer Trash

For those that have Canine Running Partners (Read 23 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Does your pooch wear a "backpack" with a few essentials (or for added weight)? If so, what is your "brand"? I had one, can't really find it so I'm contemplating shopping around for one.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Not usually for running, but she does wear one for backpacking.  Marley has an REI house brand one that has been satisfactory.  My daughter's pooch has a Ruff Wear one that she likes quite well.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I found it Smile

Rocky most likely won't wear until he's past 6 miles on the trails, but I am half tempted to weigh it down hoping it might slow him down as he is always so fast in the first 3 miles but then like yesterday by mile 3-4 he was trotting behind me which is where I would like him to be but I worry at this point that he might be too tired, until I stop to give him a breather and he is yipping and whimpering and bouncing to keep going.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Low_O2

I don't use a backpack for our runs, but have the Ruff Wear Approach pack for backpacking trips. It works really well and stays in place even when fully loaded. My dog does not slow down a bit with the pack on and it has stood up to plenty of abuse without any problems. I could use it for running as he runs with it on while backpacking, but usually if I need to carry that much water it is too hot for him to be wearing it anyway. I would really like to get the Ruff Wear Singletrack pack, but haven't been able to justify the purchase yet. One of these days I'll have to try it out.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

He wears that pack pretty damn good Smile

If you lived in my area I would beg you to let me do a photo session of your dog, he is so gorgeous.

PRs

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I wanted to get Earl a pack..he's skinny like your dog.  What size is that pack?

I don't use a backpack for our runs, but have the Ruff Wear Approach pack for backpacking trips. It works really well and stays in place even when fully loaded. My dog does not slow down a bit with the pack on and it has stood up to plenty of abuse without any problems. I could use it for running as he runs with it on while backpacking, but usually if I need to carry that much water it is too hot for him to be wearing it anyway. I would really like to get the Ruff Wear Singletrack pack, but haven't been able to justify the purchase yet. One of these days I'll have to try it out.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Low_O2

I wanted to get Earl a pack..he's skinny like your dog.  What size is that pack?

This one is a medium. Pecos is ~65-70 lbs and has a ~31" chest. I would measure the chest girth according to the sizing charts to make sure, the size chart seemed to be accurate.

Gator eye

Only thing my dog carries is the stray opossum he picks up from time to time. He'll carry them around for half a mile or so before he lets them go. He likes to bring them up close for me to inspect but I always shy away because I sure they are quite a live and well just waiting to a chance to bite me on the calf.

I have thought about buying him a bright orange vest, deer hunting season is fast approaching and they'll give just about anyone a gun and a tag.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I think I need to buy Rocky a bright orange vest....... the last thing I want his for him to be shot, even though he is black it would be just our luck. I think most hunting is allowed before 6 a.m which I try to get our runs in at 5 a.m but sometimes I don't get out there until after 5:30 p.m........ can't remember when they're supposed to stop hunting/shooting.

PRs