Trailer Trash

Stretching Running Shoes (Read 63 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I know this might seem like a strange question but does anyone know if running shoes can be stretched (I will ask here before I walk into a shoe store and embarass myself)?

I know leather and other similar materials can be stretched but I just am not sure about most running shoes.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Not that I know of. Can you add a bit more context? Are you looking for shoes that stretch or worried that a pair you get might stretch. I go with the 'you can never go to big' school of thought. I like a lot of wiggle room. I've gotten to many blisters and lost toenails due to tight shoes.

ceezy

I wouldn't try it.

Not to spam the topic but I've been wondering what sort of fit people prefer in their shoes. How tight?

I don't like them with too much space in the toes though...

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Here's the deal.  I bought a pair of Cascadia's back in April.  Loved them.  I bought the normal size I have been wearing in my shoes which was 1/2 size larger than my previous normal size - seemed to help on longer trail runs.   I ran a few times and then realized the 12 was a tad too small in the Cascadia for me (long story but it made my already frustrating foot problems even worse due to the pressure on the back of my foot).  So I went out and bought Cascadia 8's in another 1/2 size larger.  They are working well.  My dilemma is I have this original pair that I don't know what to do with.  I'd like to sell them, get something back and put that towards another pair of shoes BUT it's not easy to sell a pair of slightly used running sneakers.  I have seen devices  that stretch shoes when another 1/2 size larger is not available or needed.  But they are usually used for leather shoes, dress shoes - basically fabrics that stretch ok.  But I have never heard of that for a running shoe that has differerent types of fabric.  My thought is I could still wear these if I get a tad more room in them - not even another 1/2 size larger.

Brian Runner

Sometimes when I experience a bit of rubbing in the toe box of a new pair of shoes (that are otherwise a perfect fit) I'll stuff a bunch of socks into the shoes, packing them in as tight as I can, in order to stretch them out. This seems to work for me. Go for a run, come home, let the shoes dry, then stuff them until you need them again.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I wouldn't try it.

Not to spam the topic but I've been wondering what sort of fit people prefer in their shoes. How tight?

I don't like them with too much space in the toes though...

No worries.  It's a good question.  I obviously don't do well with too tight but too much room is really annoying.

Chnaiur

Do they have a liner inside? If they do, they probably won't stretch very much. Rock climbing shoes without liners stretch to fit your foot over time, but ones with liner don't. The ones with liner last longer and smell better though.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

sugnim

I'm not sure that you can stretch them.  You might just chalk it up to a learning experience & use them as good hiking shoes.

ceezy:  I like a lot of room in the toes, and if I can feel the seams or stitching in the toes, the shoes are a no go.  I also lace my shoes so that they are a little more snug below the ankle and I find that most shoe manufacturers don't give you long enough shoe laces for this.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Is it length-wise thing?  Maybe try removing the insole...that might give you the space you need.

**Ask me about streaking**

I think shoes can develop more "space" through wear. When I was wearing 3/4 length hard orthotics, they needed time to embed into the insole, thus allowing my foot to sit back further and lower with a little more space. And I swear that some shoes must have the upper change shape through wear, so that they might be wider and maybe less tall. My shoes almost always seem to feel better the longer I wear them. And sometimes I'll deliberately wear heavier socks in them around the house when they're new.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Is it length-wise thing?  Maybe try removing the insole...that might give you the space you need.

Yes it's a length thing but the insole on the Cascadia is very thin so it would make no difference.  Plus I wear an orthotic in place of the insole.

I may try less evasive measures (stuffing with socks or newspaper or filling a bag with water placing in end of shoe and freezing).  Seems harmless enough.

akshayv

spam