Trailer Trash

Thundering Thursdailies (Read 31 times)

Marley got out before the storms roll in and I did an easy 2 mile trail run to try out the calf tendons and see how they are doing. I didn't have any pain, but did have some tightness near the end so I stopped at two miles and then got some upper body workout hand sawing some black locust lumber from a dead tree that I am salvaging.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Daydreamer1

I added up my mileage for the past 7 days and it came 35.7, on a sore ankle . No wonder the darn thing is still sore. Not sure yet what I'll get in today. I was thinking about a long bike ride but it might just be a easy session on the elliptical.

DigDug2

7 this a.m. on road/rail trail.  Cool but humid.

QOTD:  How much do you care about entry fees?  Obviously more expensive is less desirable from a runner's perspective, but I find myself analyzing entry fees based on what's being offered and would pay more for one race than another if I felt I was getting value for it.  I'm running a point-to-point 32-mile trail race next weekend (part of a race that includes 74-mile and 20-mile options, all point-to-point.  The race is unsupported, on state park trails.  Entry fees are $75 for the 50K, $150 for the 74-mile and $50 for the 20-mile.  The website said that there would be buses from the finish to the different starting lines, which one would expect (or at least I would expect) in a point-to-point race.  The organizer sent out a pre-race email telling runners to bring $20 for the bus.  This annoys me, both because the extra charge wasn't apparent when I registered and because I wonder what I'm paying for in a race on public trails with no aid stations other than a t-shirt and a ride to the starting line.  (There is no indication in any of the materials that profits are going to charity/conservation, etc.)  I've never organized a race and I'm sure there are costs I'm not aware of (permits, insurance, timing, etc.), but I find this irritating.  End of rant.

moonlightrunner

Good morning! Planning 7....hopefully more...with my run buddy tonight after work. Looking forward to it....there is a definite smell and feel of fall! It won't be long until leaf fall makes my trails more treacherous. I love fall...but...it is trip and fall season for me!

Qotd: I am so limited by time and cost...I have to enter what works out...I can't be very picky...that about the extra $20 would really hamstring me.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in 4 super duper easy with the running club late last night.

QOTD: entry fees are a major consideration. It's one of the reasons I've been working at races that offer race credits for volunteer hours.

I'm finding it harder and harder to justify anything over $20 for a 5K.

Daydreamer1

QOTD: Those prices, for a unsupported race on public lands, sounds high  to me. I don't blame you either for being upset about the extra $20 for the bus ride. That should have been listed in the materials. Is this the first year for the race?

The most expensive race I've ever done was Newton's Revenge, which is a race up Mt Washington in New Hampshire. That cost me $300.00. The road to the top is private and closed to bicycles, so the only way to ride up it is to sign up for the races. The road is closed to vehicles while the race is going on so they are potentially losing that revenue. The profits support the Mt Washington Conservancy. It's not cheap but since it's the only way to do it, It's one of the toughest hill climbs in the country, and it raises a lot of funds for the Conservancy I didn't have a problem doing it.

My biggest pet peeve about races are those that don't try to have any porta johns along the course. Some places it's not possible, but sometimes it is and they don't have any. I would gladly pay a extra 5-10 dollars for that luxury

Occasional Runner

I had a perfect run with the pup this morning. She was kept occupied by chasing deer, catching up with me, then chasing more deer. The weather is perfect right now.

QOTD: I'm very fortunate in this regard. Of my 25 races this year, I've only had to pay to enter 3 of them. Because of that. I don't really pay much attention to entry fees and will happily pay whatever they ask. I was surprised to see that they wanted $850 for the Tahoe 200. I couldn't account for that kind of price, but it didn't matter because I wasn't planning to run it anyway.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon trailers!

I plan on getting some easy miles in after work today...looking forward to some trails this weekend!

QOTD:  I don't sweat entry fees too much.  As long as a race is within a reasonable range with comparable races I'll pay what I have to...I'm also frequently a "day of" registerererer for smaller races so I have to pay more sometimes, which I'm fine with.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

Hot and humid run today.  Ran a long section that was used 2 weeks ago for an endurocross race.  Those motorcycles really tore the trail up.  PA is considering a trail usage fee for snowmobiles, ATV's, horses and Mt. Bikes (no fee for hikers or runners).  Their reasoning is the extra trail maintenance needed to repair damage from usage.  After seeing the trails today, I'm all in favor.

QOTD:  JFK 50 is $210 and Stone Mill 50 is $45.  I don't like races with higher fees unless they tell me where the money is going.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks for yesterdays birthday wishes...I was boating and drinking beer.  Feeling it a bit this morning.  Haven't ran in a while but yesterday's QOTD and my birthday has me thinking it's time to get my shit together.  It's been a hard last few months and then I was not promoted so I'm in a shitty place, but realize it's within me to get going and snap out of it because I reallyu am very fortunate.    Goiung Mt Biking after work. 

QOTD:  I care...it has to be pretty special for me to pay over $100.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

LB2

I had to take yesterday off to rest a little more than I planned. The B2B 20's and a hard, but short, hill effort on Tuesday left me pretty thrashed. I'll run 5 to 7 tonight. I may be doing a "UT" (unscheduled taper) for my 50 miler on 9/20. I was just going to run right through it, but I may have pushed a little too hard the last few weeks.

QOTD: Good question. I don't race very often. I paid $180.00 for the Pinhoti 100 this year. That race is a big deal for me, so I don't mind. But I wouldn't pay more than 100 dollars for anything shorter than a 100K, and it would have to be a big deal for me to pay more than about 75 for anything less than 50 miles. I did pay 10 bucks to run a 50 miler coming up next weekend, self supported. Apparently, ultrasignup has a fee they charge if someone wants their fat ass event to be recognized. I understand that, and I paid the 10 bucks, plus 2.xx to register for the race. You had an option to purchase a shirt for $25.00, which I declined.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Afternoon,

Caught the early shift today, but worked late, so there goes my run. Now that the kids come home on the bus twice a week (the other days, they have after-school activities in school), there's not much time in the afternoon to get in some miles.

Weather would be perfect, though... 

DD2: That sounds outrageous, it would upset me, too. Especially the $20 bus fee. Hey, I'd run it as an out-and-back, thank you.

DD1: Way to go with the Mt. Washington race. I'd have done that, too. Climbing up with no car traffic around is definitely worth the money (and if it's the only way to ride up at all).

Kelly: There's a Tahoe 200? 

Where do you find all these intriguing races? (Glad I don't find them, as I might sign up for more than I can run off!)

QOTD: The entry fee definitely has an impact on my decision which race to run. I paid $175 for ES100, and it was well worth it (but they did not have any porter Johns, only a dry pit at mile 82 - which was advertised as the "best aid station on the course, now I know why).

For smaller races, e.g. 50M or 50k, I would not want to pay more than $100. The Tussey Mountainback 50 is borderline, it's $140 for the ultra, but you get a nice discount if you don't use a support vehicle (not to use one is the better option anyway, as there are more than 100 team vehicles for the relay teams on the course, so you don't want to increase traffic even more).

On the other hand, travel expenses, lodging, nutrition for the race, gear, etc. are often far bigger chunks in the budget than the entry fee.

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

Kelly: There's a Tahoe 200? 

Where do you find all these intriguing races? (Glad I don't find them, as I might sign up for more than I can run off!)

You need to get on Facebook so you're more dialed into this stuff!!! The Tahoe 200 is a 200 mile race around Lake Tahoe, plus they toss in an out and back to get the distance to 200 miles.

Watoni

It is 90 degrees now, so time to grab a handheld after work and head up into the shade of some redwoods ...

QOTD: Not too fussed about entry fees generally. Interesting that European races are cheaper generally for what you get and cycling races are cheaper than running races ....

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Contemplating some time on the bike in a few.

QOTD: I can't stand high prices for races but also since I have not been involved in putting on a race, I have no clue how much stuff costs...but when you do compare races (such as the ones AT brought up - JFK vs. Stone Mill), it is difficult to understand the rationale for a high race fee.  With a race of ~1000, what is the $210,000 or so going for JFK? Stone Mill will always be a fav of mine.  They finally raised their fee from the $35 to $45 this year.  They give as much of that money that they can to the local park services.  Way to go!

But I look forward to more and more my own LR adventures and FA races (like the one we hopefully will do in PA in the winter!!! maybe...hopefully...definitely).

Have a great night!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday