Trailer Trash

Thunderbird 2012 (Race Report) (Read 188 times)

LB2

I don’t know where to begin to talk about the Thunderbird Half Marathon 2012. I guess I can review what has been a year of many ups and downs concerning running. I had a good run at Rocky Raccoon in February for my first 100 miler and spent the rest of the year working towards the Pinhoti 100, which ended at mile 36. I did quite a few things wrong in my training; I had plenty of miles on trails. But I wasn’t mentally prepared like I had been at Rocky and Cajun Coyote before that. I ran smart races at those two, especially at Cajun Coyote, and after the debacle in Alabama last month, I was just a little depressed at the thought of not running another race anytime soon. Then, I was reminded about this half marathon. I kicked the idea around for about five minutes and signed up. I had three goals:

1. Run a smart race
    2. Keep my pace under 12 minute miles (50K pace for me)
    3. Get a top 3 age group placing

I have never had a race this close to my house. Usually, I end up camping out or staying in a motel close to the event. This race was about 45 minutes from home, so I got to sleep at home last night, which was nice. I ate my normal pre-run breakfast, peanut butter on wheat toast. But this morning, I added a piece of sweet potato pie and a cup of coffee. Then, I hit the road.

I arrived at the place to find a few people I knew, which was nice. I also met some folks from the Louisiana Ultra Running group on Facebook. I spent a great deal of time talking with Tim Hutchinson, a friend with whom I have run a few miles with over the past year. Tim is a good runner, faster than he lets on. However, he is also quick to point out that he tends to go out too fast in long races. I tend to think I go out too slow, but I go out as fast as I can. Earlier this year, he DNF’d at Rocky Raccoon. He’ll be back in 2013, and we discussed 2012 Rocky, 2013 Rocky, and my own DNF last month.

We got lined up around 8 AM, and someone did a countdown. We took off through the muggy air, most hoping the rain would hold off until the race was over. Tim and I were talking as we ran down a gravel road toward the single track about a quarter of a mile from the start. This year, the race was going counter clockwise, which meant the best downhills would now be the worst uphills. And believe me, this course has some nasty climbs, short but intense. I felt pretty good, and figured I would try to get up close to the front and see what happened… We got onto the single track, and I had flashbacks of my kamikaze Pinhoti run (see goal 1: run a smart race). I was running with the top 10 or 12 folks, and it felt slow, at first. We made it through the first series of quick ups and downs with some extremely sharp turns. Some of these turns were almost like doing 180 degree turns. It was tight, which is why I decided to step up to the front in the beginning. I didn’t want to get boxed into someone else’s pace. Then, we got along this creek bottom with some really smooth running. After a few miles, I looked around and realized that this 18 year old kid who couldn’t have weighed more than 120 pounds was behind me. He was a cross country runner who just finished a nice season. I knew I had no business being this far in front, and I figured I would pay for it later. About the time that thought went through my head, I caught a root and did at least two summersaults, rolling off the trail. A lot of folks passed me as I laughed at myself.

I got my act together and started running again. We eventually got to a series of switchbacks; yeah, I said switchbacks, steep ones. I cruised down these and back up the other side and made it to the first aid station. I topped off my water and took off again. At this point, I had a bit of trouble. My heart rate spiked out on some of the uphills. I decided to back off my pace a little bit and get a little more consistent with my pace. It didn’t take long to get into a nice groove, and it was smooth sailing from there. A couple of more folks passed me on the back end of the first loop, but I wasn’t really concerned about it. I knew the hills would take a toll on them as the second loop came. I made it through the first loop about a minute under my scheduled time, despite having some difficulty along the way.

I had not eaten anything on the first loop, so I took a bag of Honey Stingers out and ate them while I walked down the trail. I can’t eat while I run, or at least, I don’t like to. I started running at a nice pace. And, I started feeling good. On this section, I ran for a very long time without seeing anyone at all. Finally, I start catching people. I told each one I passed that they losers and should just give up. Ok. I didn’t do that, nor did I think it. But wouldn’t that be funny in an inappropriate way, which makes it funnier on multiple levels? Anyway, I got to the aid station where I was offered vodka, which I accepted. I took a nice swig of Absolut and rolled on down the trail. About a half mile after the aid station, I took one of the strangest falls I have ever experienced. I stumbled and my knees went into my chest, and I just sort of keeled over in slow motion. I don’t know what that was about, but I don’t think it was a sip of vodka. I got up and continued running, passing a couple of more people.

By this time, I was really feeling good, and I was running at a pace that I would be very comfortable with at just about any distance. I just kept feeling better and better, despite the muggy conditions. The hills were getting steeper for others, but I was feeling great, running comfortably. I came across one guy who had passed me earlier like I was standing still. He was walking and just jogging along. I was running these hills pretty good, but when I caught this guy, I passed him walking while he was running up the hill. I only mention this because I have always thought of myself as someone who can walk very efficiently. I did that very well on that hill, and that little, insignificant event did a lot to help renew my confidence with longer races where the deliberate walk is a necessary strategy.

Finally, I caught another Marine Corps veteran. I know that because he had a big USMC tattoo across his back.  He had pretty much been reduced to a walk at this point, and we were on another hilly section when I caught up with him. I squeezed by and never slowed down. I made it to the gravel road again and turned the corner to the finish line.

Reading this story, you would think I had a PR race, but I was far from a HM PR today. I finished in 2:32, which is a testament to how difficult this course is, not that I am some sort of great runner, but I am faster than 2:32 on the road or smooth trail on my worst day. The winner, who was a very fast runner, finished in 1:49 and change.

I won a six pack of Tin Roof Voodoo Bengal Pale Ale (local beer) as a door prize. And during the awards ceremony I was talking to the overall winner about the course when my name was called as my AG winner!!!! What!?! I laughed and said there must be a mistake. But, I have the bobble head AG trophy to prove it (no idea how many in the AG, but I know it was more than just me). I think I was 26th overall, but I don’t know how many people were in the race, probably 25.

All in all, 2012 has been a stellar year for trail running for me. I have learned so much, which means I have figured out that I don’t know much. And, in my last race of 2012, I accomplished every goal I started with, which has never happened before today.

LB2

Uh oh... now what?

If you are that surprised, you obviously would feel guilty enjoying the six-pack.

Just send it to...

Good run to end the fall on LB2, good story.  Thank you.

Congrats on a great run and AG win! 

Watoni

Great job! Never downplay an AG win and falling without injury!

Occasional Runner

I loved the report! Congrats on the AG win. It sounds like you had a great time out there and ended your year on a high note. Thanks for sharing.

Trail Monster

Great job LB! I haven't run a trail half but I think I'd like to!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Birdwell

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a good time was had by most. 

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Great RR about a great run.  congrats on a wonderful running season.

Ultra Cowboy

Longbeard,

Congrats on the race.  I know that feeling when you  feel like you can walk anyone into the ground.  It is awesome. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Sandy-2

Great job LB !!!!

I assume that you'll be bringing that 6 pack to Rocky to share with your friends, right ???

Thanks for the RR.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

LB2

Sandy: I will have beer to share, but that six pack disappeared tonight while my neighbor and I skinned a deer I killed this afternoon. First one I have shot in 5 years. It has been a good two days. I had an unbelievable run this morning through mud and knee deep water, and went back up there and shot that deer at 4:30. Forgot my gate key and had to carry it a half a mile: cross training.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

NICE!  That sounds like some awesome racing there, LB.  And holy  hell, if you went 2:32 for a HM, that must have been a really tough course.  Do you know the elevation gain/loss?  Congrats on the AG award!  Sounds like my kind of prize.

Running is dumb.

runfastandie

Oh my gosh- you have me laughing SO HARD!!!!!

First- CONGRATS on the AG Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   26th out of 25 is pretty good ;-)

I will go to sleep giggling over "your going to lose anyway you sore ass so you better just quit now you effed up loser."  LOL!!!!!!!!!!  I love it!!!!

Great running trick with the vodka my friend!  Forget gu shots- lets figure out how to make vodka shots that look like gu shots.  PARTY TIME!!!!

Glad you had a great race :-)  How'd the xcountry teen do?

LB2

Andy: I think the kid ended up 12th. The placement didn't change much up front unless you fell down, but that trail was not that hard to pass on. It was narrow, but not like a some mountain trails. Mandy: The course was very tough, lots of sharp turns and ups and downs. I gauge it by the winner coming in a few seconds under 1:50. He was a fast mover, and the second place guy was like 1:51. And I know he can give just about anyone a run for his/her money on any trail. It is hard to determine much from my time because I always think in terms of pacing for longer runs. But, I think a consistent pace works out pretty good in most cases. I could have caught a lot more people if it was a 50K. I got into a real good groove on that second loop.

LB2

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, awesome race! Congrats on the AG win, too!

I can relate to your kind of humor. At the Rothrock, where I could not run because I was still recovering from pneumonia, I was watching the runners take off. A few hikers closed up the pack. And I had to resist the temptation to get into my car, drive up behind them, honk the horn and yell at them: "You are so slow! If you keep going like this, you'll never make it to the finish (insert evil laugh here)!"

Why, might be considered a great motivational heads-up by SOMEone, right? Just kidding.

Nice job finishing a great season!

Run for fun.