Trailer Trash

Speedgoat 50K Race report (Read 41 times)

Low_O2

On Saturday I completed the Speedgoat 50K in Snowbird, Utah. To put it simply, It was AWESOME! I have wanted to run this race for a long time and was excited to finally be at a point where I could make it happen. I got to meet Lace_up along with many other great runners and spent most of the day leap frogging the women's overall winner Stephanie Howe and 3rd place woman Ruby Muir from New Zealand. It was pretty cool to be out on the same course as many of the top mountain runners in the world. This was the best I have ever felt in a race. No stomach issues, no major low points and just had a blast almost the entire way despite not taking in enough calories or fluids. The Tailwind nutrition worked well, although I should have been drinking much more. I'm not sure if it was the cool weather or what, but I just wasn't drinking much. I did better than I expected and loved the brutal course. I would recommend this race to anyone who is looking for a tough 50k!

You can check out the more detailed account of the race on my blog if you're interested.

http://pursuitoftrailslesstraveled.blogspot.com/2013/07/speedgoat-50k.html

Watoni

Great report and what a race!

runtraildc

Congratulations!  And thanks for sharing a great report-

Snowdenrun

You killed it on a tough course!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Noice!  that sounds like absolutely grueling race and an absolutely superb finish- congrats

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Will run for scenery.

Wow, great race !  Very nice report.

I'd love to do that one someday.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like a great day for you.  Great finish for both you and your brother.

A couple questions: 1.) How do you like the black diamond poles? (they fold up right?)

and 2.) you mention 11,500 ft of ascending and descending - does that mean the combined change was 11, 500ft or it was 11,500 of each? Either way, it's a beast but I seem to get confused when I see the ascent and descent combined like that.

Thanks again!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Jamie...its 11,000'+ of gain, not total elevation change.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Jamie...its 11,000'+ of gain, not total elevation change.

That's what I was thinking.  All the more impressive!!!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Great job!   Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Low_O2

Thanks Everyone! It was really a fun race on almost the perfect course for me. I like it steep and nasty, I would prefer to have to hike once in awhile instead of just running the entire way.

boyjame - 1) Love the Black Diamond poles, mostly use them when carrying a heavy pack over rough terrain. Yes, they fold up. Makes them much more compact than the retractable kind and they weigh almost nothing. I gave them to my wife  "just in case". With all the climbing I decided to grab them for the last climb. Would have been very helpful I think if I would have been training with them.

2) Yes, as Lace said. I get confused as well, what goes up 11k+ must come down 11k+...

ceezy

Great job!

Enjoyed the RR...would love to try that race.

How did you like the N2s on that course? I'm guessing they worked well considering your excellent race.

I love mine...

Low_O2

How did you like the N2s on that course? I'm guessing they worked well considering your excellent race.

I love mine...

Thanks ceezy!

The N2s worked great, no blisters and the feet felt great afterwards. I felt a couple rocks poke the bottom of my feet, but not enough to cause any pain. They were so comfy, that I put them back on shortly after taking them off at the end of the race. They seem to be a great combination of lightweight and flexible, with plenty of cushion for the downhills. I'm curious about the N1s now.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I have both (I had to send my N1's back for a replacement- wore a hole in the toe w/ ~ 200 miles on them), the N1's are a little lighter, but also a little less padded- for me: real rocky- N2's, not real rocky- N1's

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

That's cool that you could do that with your brother.  Congrats on a really nice race and placement.  If you complete the toughest 50k I believe that means that you can complete any 50k.

**Ask me about streaking**