Trailer Trash

Kahtoola Microspikes Review (Read 311 times)

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I wanted to share my experience with the Kahtoola Microspikes.  I'm really getting into trail running, moreso than road running.  Running on snow and ice on uneven terrain really made me nervous though.  Given the choices of what to add to my shoes for traction, I settled on the Microspikes.  Yaktraxs were also an option, but seems that many people report that the springs break.  The microspikes slip on the shoe really easily, and look pretty badass.  But they are amazing.  I ran yesterday on a trail that had 2 to 4 inches of snow, a 6 mile run with both 1000' of elevation ascent and descent each.  A little bit of ice too, and I did not slip even once.  I had 100% confidence in my footing, and was flying down the downhills.  Without them, I'm sure I would have been terrified of slipping and falling.  Yes, they are more pricey at $60, but I have a philosophy that paying a little more for good quality gear is important.  Anyhow, I have no interest in this company, I just thought they made a really good product and think it was money well spent.  Heading out for a second try today!  I should also add, they are very comfortable, I don't even know they are on my shoes.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Occasional Runner

Thanks for the product review. A dealer just sent me a pair to wear but I haven't used them yet. I considered it this morning, but passed on it. Your insight and experience will make me less reluctant.

Got a pair from Backcountry yesterday from the UPS, did a 5 mile trail run with those WI rollers this morning,  part snow machine trail other part snowshoe trail felt sure footed only slip in parking lot when I took the spikes off..

I agree.

I used to use screw shoes which were ok, but hard to do a workout on them and felt spooky going up one of our mountain trails (30% slope of trail, probably 60+% side slope = don't fall) - kinda like hanging a picture with a thumbtack (versus a nail). I finally decided to try the microspikes a few years ago - money well spent. They don't cramp my feet like other strap-on devices. Because they come way up over the foot, they're not in any real danger of coming off, like yaktrax and stabilcers do. My friends switch from their icebugs to microspikes (or maybe add them) in the mountains.

They are not real crampons though, so they do have their limits (as do real crampons).

PS: I think there is a gear forum that the RA folks use more regularly than the RW one was used.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I've been using microspikes for trail running for the last two winters, I don't think there is anything on the market that comes close

most of my winter running I get by w/ screws, but if it's icy the microspikes come out- if I'm in the mountains I throw them in my pack, there's been a few times I've had to pull them out as conditions changed

got my wife a pair this winter and she loves them too Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtnjim

Yup, microspikes are great.  I've been using them a lot this week.

But I do change to other traction for different conditions. Screwshoes work best for me when the trail is really packed and not too steep.  They also will work well when there's are sections of exposed dirt and rock.   For moderate conditions, snow and ice that isn't too steep, the Microspikes are great,  They will work fine over short sections of dirt & rock.  When the snow gets deep and the route gets steeper, I use the Kahtoola running crampons, the steel ones.  Lots of traction there!  I used to use the aluminum versions but those wear out quickly with the unavoidable rock on my favorite winter training trails here in Colorado.

Right now sitting out in the car are 4 pairs of running shows including 2 waterproof and one screwed, Microspikes, the steel running crampons, trekking poles, OR stretch gaiters, 4 pairs of different weight gloves...I should be readySmile

JimS

Microspikes rock!

I've put 30 miles on the microspikes in the last 3 days.  These absolutely rock!!

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

RabbitChaser

How do they do on rocky trails? I had the yaktrax xtr which had great traction, but busted during a 5K on the WyCo trails. The problem with the yaktrax was the chains would pry apart due to the rocks. I've been looking for something that can hold up well on rocky trails. I tried using screws, but still ended up slipping and sliding on the ascent/descents.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

How do they do on rocky trails? I had the yaktrax xtr which had great traction, but busted during a 5K on the WyCo trails. The problem with the yaktrax was the chains would pry apart due to the rocks. I've been looking for something that can hold up well on rocky trails. I tried using screws, but still ended up slipping and sliding on the ascent/descents.

they do pretty well, if they were subjected to steady rock my guess is they would start dulling-if it's just short sections of bare rock I think you'll be fine- if there are long stretches of bare rock, might be worth slipping them off (they go on/off pretty easily)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtnjim

Above timberline, it's normal to have mixed terrain with sections of relatively dry rocky stuff followed by hard wind packed snow followed by powder over rocks, so my microspikes get used on rocky bits a lot.

This post got me curious so I pulled the ones I'm using out of the car to compare them with the new ones I haven't used yet.  Looks like about a third of the spikes have been worn away.  No points on these spikes!  BUT they still grip well enough on snow.  They also grip okay on the rocky sections of the trail.  And i'll bounce from boulder to boulder sometimes, just for amusement.

I've never heard of problems with the chains on the Kahtoolas but I have seen comments about the rubbery plastic breaking where the chains connect to it.  I really don't see that as much of a possibility but did see it stated on another forum.

But if the rocky sections are steep enough with a little ice, nothing will hold, at least not at a race pace.

JimS

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

while the prices are always (well not always Smile) higher, it's the reason I like to purchase items that are going to be used hard from REI- if they were to blow-up it's a very easy exchange

I believe Kahtoola has a 1 year no questions asked warranty

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

This is what our streets were looking like yesterday. (The picture is in Anchorage this morning, and what our streets have looked like the last couple days. Our ice was mostly gone mid-day today.)  While the running shoe store is going for studs, screws, and ice bugs, REI is going with the Kahtoola Microspikes. I usually just use my microspikes on trails and the little studs on iced asphalt, but opted for microspikes on the roads yesterday to get to the ice-free soccer fields. It rained for Winter Trails Day at the new ski area on Saturday. Sad

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Wandering Wally

Thanks Van.  I like spikes for ice as well.  I don't use the Kahtoola brand, but something similar.  I used mine on Sunday night after an ice storm had coated everything.  No slippage whatsoever.  It was great to just motor down the path without having to worry about slipping.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast